Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 PM

74 posts, read 228,062 times

Advertisements

You may want to look into Irvington/Hastings. More low-key than the other towns mentioned but lots of good options for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 PM

413 posts, read 1,103,655 times
Yes, but Irvington and Hastings are pretty homogeneous and vocal in terms of their politics, aren't they?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 AM

11,262 posts, read 18,798,239 times
I just want to note that in general Westchester property taxes are notably higher than Fairfield County prop taxes so you also might want to look into Greenwich, Darien and Westport and compare. Farther train ride than the southern Westchester towns mentioned, but still very close to a train station so better commute than Ridgefield.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 PM

81 posts, read 245,382 times
Check out the rivertowns - easy commute, very friendly down-to-Earth families, excellent schools.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM

2,617 posts, read 7,005,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
But, isn't there also relatively cheap real estate in Rye in the form of co-ops, condos, multi-families, and small homes. And rental homes? I am sure tons of people in Pelham & Larchmont have more money than the lower end of Rye. Also, isn't there also some low-income immigrant segment of Rye? Is this the proverbial "other side of the tracks" ? But I assume Pelham & Larchmont people aren't jealous of that, right?
Assuming you're serious, the OP has a +$1mio budget. So coops and condos don't really enter the picture, wouldn't you agree? Add "Manor" after Pelham and Larchmont and see if it helps you grasp the context here.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 7,099 times
This is all great intel. Many thanks. We've just spent the weekend with friends from London who are originally from the area, and they strongly recommended Rye. Based on what I've read here and our friends' recommendation, I am looking forward to exploring Rye a bit more. I am certainly open to the possibility that my preconceived notions about any of these towns are wrong. I wouldn't have posted otherwise. We've thought about Irvington and Hastings, as well. We love everything about Ridgefield except it's distance from the city. We particularly like how low-key most people here are. I can do the school run or my shopping in a t-shirt, yoga pants, and flip flops, and no one bats an eyelash. The town has a handful of pretentious people (the sort who would fall into the first category kletter1mann defined), but they are the exception. We've found the people here pretty genuine. It's the first category of people I'm hoping to avoid, not the second (whom I don't really consider "pretentious," but perhaps out of touch). Basically, if we could just move Ridgefield closer to the city, I'd be thrilled. Given that that isn't possible, I am going to find the closest thing I can! And you guys have all helped.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 AM

413 posts, read 1,103,655 times
Although Rye's reputation is of snobbishness, I know no one who is unhappy there. Even blue collar families love it. The only complaints I hear about Rye are about taxes.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 AM

2,617 posts, read 7,005,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctmomoftwo View Post
We love everything about Ridgefield except it's distance from the city. We particularly like how low-key most people here are. I can do the school run or my shopping in a t-shirt, yoga pants, and flip flops, and no one bats an eyelash. The town has a handful of pretentious people (the sort who would fall into the first category kletter1mann defined), but they are the exception. We've found the people here pretty genuine. It's the first category of people I'm hoping to avoid, not the second (whom I don't really consider "pretentious," but perhaps out of touch). Basically, if we could just move Ridgefield closer to the city, I'd be thrilled. Given that that isn't possible, I am going to find the closest thing I can! And you guys have all helped.
Exactly. Rye's your best bet if you can afford it, by far. Regardless, the closer to NYC the less you'll see of the flipflop stuff. Nearby northern Westchester is the same as Ridgefield in that regard and the north/south Westchester divide has been widely discussed here. You'll likely see a little more formality in dress/grooming but in Rye but that would be equally true of Larchmont or Bronxville. And Rye is a much MUCH closer match to Ridgefield than any of the river towns.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,448,406 times
I dunno...I feel like Rye is way more highbrow than Larchmont. Much less than Scarsdale, but the women are far more Stepford-ish overall. Still, the town is pretty and the schools are great. Nothing not to like.

You'll want to inquire about parking at the station, though. Rye has an 8-10 year wait, so you'll need alternate arrangements.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 AM

19,136 posts, read 16,957,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
Although Rye's reputation is of snobbishness, I know no one who is unhappy there. Even blue collar families love it. The only complaints I hear about Rye are about taxes.
I think complaining about the taxes is everywhere in the NY Metro.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County