Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I dunno...I feel like Rye is way more highbrow than Larchmont.
No doubt. But I'd argue that Ridgefield is too, and that's the measure of comparison. [full disclosure: my wife has a medical practice in Ridgefield and Wilton. I know them well.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
What about Greenwich? $1.3 won't get you much house but it'll surely save you a ton in taxes.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 AM

866 posts, read 2,485,218 times
If your husband wants to take the train into the city Rye is going to be a major hassle. As mentioned previously, the waitlist for a parking permit is at least 6 years long (was 6 years when we moved here in 2009, not sure currently). And the trouble is that most of the houses in Rye are not within walking distance to the train. The advice I was given when I inquired about this on this board a few years ago was that either you make friends quickly with someone who has a permit (how???) or one spouse does drop off and pick up for the other. Fun, especially if you have kids...! It is a very pretty town though...

BTW, aren't they making "The Real Housewives of Westchester" in.....Rye??? Doesn't that say enough?

We recently moved to the Orienta neighborhood in Mamaroneck and LOVE it here. Walked into the village hall and got a RR parking permit in 2 minutes.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
Another option for Rye is parking at Harrison, which was available 2 years ago when we put an offer on a house in Rye (before moving here...we ended up renting and settling in Larchmont instead which in hindsight was a much better fit for us).

We also looked extensively in Old Greenwich and Riverside and whatever we would save on taxes we'd spend on mortgage. Houses were easily 40-50% more there, and they had zero inventory. The commute was 50% longer on the train, and there are also parking issues at the stations in Greenwich. We bit the bullet and chose the shorter commute and haven't looked back, and my husband has an hour more at home each day as a result. If you have more time than money, you may choose the opposite but if you are going to move, you might as well move as close as you can afford to. FWIW, the schools in Larchmont/Mamaroneck and Rye are universally better than Greenwich. They are still fine there, but except for the eastern ones, they aren't nearly as good as you would expect in such an expensive locale.

It should also be noted that although NY taxes are insane, I feel like Cuomo is actively trying to do something about them. CT's governor on the other hand, still seems totally out of touch with reality. I wouldn't be surprised if Greenwich eventually looses its tax haven status in a few years.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 7,122 times
Greenwich is not on our radar for many reasons. We've spent some time there, and the benefit (lower property tax was the only benefit we could see) definitely does not outweigh the costs (thanks, jjinla, for outlining so many of the tangible costs so well). We aren't going to leave Ridgefield and pull our daughter out of her school, both of which we love, for a marginally better commute, a much smaller house, etc. etc. Further, I just don't feel like the Greenwich scene--and it is a scene--is a good fit for us.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 AM

18 posts, read 33,420 times
Same boat as CTMOMOFTWO. Also a Mom of 2, 8 yrs in Stamford and commute is 1hr 10 min. door to door. Can't imagine yours. Would love to be closer, plus Stamford Schools are not the best (to be kind).
From this thread I see you are only considering Metro-North towns. Can anyone shed light on possibilities (with same requirements) on the Hudson line? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
People already chimed in on that...the Rivertowns (Hastings, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry to a lesser degree).

Although, we are in Larchmont and still have about an hour door to door. Granted it is easy, but still even in Pelham you'll only shave about 5 minutes off of that total.

But you are right...Greenwich is definitely a scene! I felt like Old Greenwich was less of one, but still you are right for noting that. Westchester is much more laid back in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County