Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM

376 posts, read 598,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIToldya View Post
Yes, you will be racially discriminated against. You will be a target. Your son will change and you will live with regret. Society allows non whites to discrininate against whites, it is called affirmitive action.
I disagree with AA but his issues have nothing to do with it. Stop your nonsensical and ignorant rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 PM

115 posts, read 190,461 times
For a city so cultural , hip and everybody moves there to experienc other culture's and brags back home about the diversity. It is really segregated. Got to love NY mentality I will eat your food just don't live next door to me.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellort View Post
For a city so cultural , hip and everybody moves there to experienc other culture's and brags back home about the diversity. It is really segregated. Got to love NY mentality I will eat your food just don't live next door to me.
To be fair, it's not really/fully the "local mentality", in recent times it's more about crime and poor schools and more socioeconomic than racial nowadays. People of all stripes try to get their kids out of Mt. Vernon (and for that matter Yonkers) schools after about 6th grade or so.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,500 times
I don't have information about that actual neighborhood, but I do have some past personal experience with Mount Vernon High School that I can share.

I grew up in Eastchester and went to EHS. One summer I had to go to summer school and the class I needed was at Mt. Vernon High School. I had heard the rumors that it was a rough school and that the vast majority of students were black.

Well, it was true enough that I was one of a very small handful of white kids. That could make some people uncomfortable I imagine. All in all, it was a pretty uneventful summer, my math teacher was fantastic- I went from failing the math regents to getting high 90's. I'm also fairly easy going - I met a few nice girls from Mt. Vernon I would eat lunch with and that was that.

However, I remember one incident really clearly. After class, I would take the bus that goes up Rt.22 back to Eastchester. There was usually a crowd of kids that would walk that way to Rt.22. But one time this kid came out of nowhere and just pummeled this white kid that was walking. It was fast and furious and then the boy was on the ground with blood coming out of his nose and crying. The Mt. Vernon girls were fast to respond and were there helping the boy- I have to admit I was so stunned at what I had witnessed that I just stood there stupidly. I had never witnessed a fight before...especially with blood. One of the girls walked the boy back to the school for help.

But what really floored me was what the other girls said after they left. They said that the white boy should have known better! Apparently he and his attacker had a class together, and the white kid answered a question correctly after the black kid had gotten it wrong. And so...that's why he was jumped. And the white kid should have known better than to make the other boy look foolish by answering- he should have known this is what would happen. That was like the icing on the shock cake.

It made me really happy that I didn't go to Mt. Vernon High School full time -if these were the unwritten social rules. I was really glad I went to a school were learning was encouraged - where kids could participate in class and getting an answer wrong and another kid getting it right were not reasons for violence- where I had never seen a fight before.

I hope these aren't still the "unwritten" rules of MVHS- but if they are -then it's something I'd want to know as a parent.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I was a White boy who has been jumped while walking between MVHS and Rt.22. That was about 1989. People told me I should have known better :-) Certainly not all black people in MV are racist against whites. Very, very few in fact, but your kid will have a hard time and it only takes a couple of bad seeds to make your kid's life a hell.

Fleetwood is fine, though (a great neighborhood, in fact), but I wouldn't bring a child to live anywhere else in Mount Vernon.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIToldya View Post
Yes, you will be racially discriminated against. You will be a target. Your son will change and you will live with regret. Society allows non whites to discrininate against whites, it is called affirmitive action.
Caucasian women actually benefit the most from affirmative action. Read below:

Quote:
"Contrary to popular belief, African Americans are not the sole, or even the primary, beneficiaries of affirmative action. Rather, a wide range of groups have benefited from these policies which promote equality by directing resources, outreach and other opportunities to targeted under represented communities." .......................... "According to the United States Labor Department, the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women."

Source- ncsu.edu/project/oeo-training/aa/beneficiaries.htm
Quote:
"Although it was created for their benefit, it is a misconception that African Americans and other racial minorities benefit most from affirmative action. Historically, white women and then women of any background have benefited most from affirmative action, which is observed in the shifting gender demographics of college campuses. There are more women than men. In the last 30 years, college acceptances of white women have increased, which is largely due to affirmative action."

Source- cornellsun.com/node/49654
Plus, even if a minority does benefit from affirmative action, it's not the minority doing the discrimination but the employer. A random black applicant, or any applicant for that matter, has no control of whether they will benefit from affirmative action or not so it's not the minority doing any so called "discrimination".

Sorry to change the course of the thread but I just couldn't let that little bit of ignorance go unchecked. OK, back on topic!!

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-23-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM

31 posts, read 41,901 times
Default Correction

A side from affirmative action, which I have been a victim of, your kid will be discriminated against because he is white. Plain simple truth.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,583 times
I am 26 years of age and I lived in Mount Vernon all my life. I have not witnessed nor heard of white people being discriminated against or attacked because of their race. The comments i'm reading here are ridiculous and delusional. I must agree that Mount Vernon has had a troubled past. This trouble has been brought by foreigners and low income residents that the county has dumped here. The crime that happens on the city streets is mainly by residents from the Bronx neighborhoods that border the city's southside. If you people did your research you would see that the victims and their attackers in the majority of the city's crime cases aren't from Mount Vernon.

Incidents that take place at the high school are minor. There have been no deaths in the high school or on its ground. Most disputes are off MVSD property. MVHS is the city's main and largest school with over 2000 students. There are students that live in NYC that illegally attend the school, that is where the incident accounts come from.

*To the author of this thread: Don't listen to the people of this thread with their negative comments. They are Mount Vernon haters. This city is rich in history and is on the come up. Those who speak down on Mount Vernon are bigots,racists,the conservative media,non-residents,and outsiders. I grew up in the neighborhoood you are interested in. It is in an area of Mount Vernon known as "The Heights". It is bounded by S.Fulton Ave to the west,The Hutchinson River parkway to the east,Sanford blvd. to south,and East Lincoln Ave. to the north. The area is relatively middle class with a small industrial area mainly of auto and shipping companies. The schools are decent and within walking distance. The retail establishments are along Sandford blvd. and South Columbus Ave. The area is littered with protestant churches. The majority of residents are single family,working class residents. They are not criminals nor are they affiliated with gangs. It is quiet and well maintained by the residents and city alike. Residents in the area will not pick on you because of your racial difference. As long as you are not looking for trouble or disturbing the peace you will be fine. Most people I know are respective and tolerant of other races in that area. You would be welcomed. The area is hospitable and homely. Any other questions or concerns, email me.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 AM

58 posts, read 239,997 times
"There have been no deaths in the high school or on its ground."

Thanks, that's very reassuring.

"Most disputes are off MVSD property."

This is what principals often say when confronted with bullying: it's off campus, so it's not my problem. And the problem is not taken care of. (the point is: this a weak excuse that avoids the real issue: your kid is at risk of violence in MV).

Racial matters aside, the key issue with Mount Vernon High School is the low graduation rate (60%). Considering how easy it is to graduate high school, this means that 40% of your kid's classmates would be the sort who are completely removed from even minimal educational performance. I'd rather live in a tiny apartment in a competent SD than send my kid to a HS like that.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountvernonreporter View Post
The crime that happens on the city streets is mainly by residents from the Bronx neighborhoods that border the city's southside.
You do realize that a lot of those Bronx neighborhoods bordering Mount Vernon are decent areas, right? It's only the portions of Wakefield by White Plains Road that are bad.

Quote:
There have been no deaths in the high school or on its ground.
I should hope not.

Quote:
Most disputes are off MVSD property.
So instead of "Meet me in the schoolyard at 3", it's "Meet me down the block at 3"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentJoeMorgan View Post
Racial matters aside, the key issue with Mount Vernon High School is the low graduation rate (60%). Considering how easy it is to graduate high school, this means that 40% of your kid's classmates would be the sort who are completely removed from even minimal educational performance. I'd rather live in a tiny apartment in a competent SD than send my kid to a HS like that.
For what it's worth, the graduation rate at my high school (in NYC) is a little under 70% (I'm graduating in a few days). A lot of the kids who don't graduate aren't causing a problem for the rest of the kids, because they don't show up.

Also, my school has a lot of programs for people with different interests (honors, culinary, medicine, etc), so the kids who want to learn don't have to deal with the type of kids who disrupt classes. I don't know if that's the case at MVHS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County