Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:15 AM

796 posts, read 1,756,719 times

Advertisements

On Long Island, I feel trapped; if I go to far in one direction, I hit Queens, if I go another direction, I hit water. For those who have moved from Long Island to Westchester - or anywhere else for that matter - what was your experience no longer being trapped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:41 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
You do have a thing about these random posts, don't you?

We are not an island. What more needs to be said? We are no more trapped than people in Boston.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 38,171 times
It's probably easier to get to and from the city in Westchester than from Long Island, but that depends on where you live. It's much easier to head upstate for us.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
For those who have moved from Long Island to Westchester - or anywhere else for that matter - what was your experience no longer being trapped?
When the walkers come, I have several ways of leaving the area so as not to get caught on major highways.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
You do have a thing about these random posts, don't you?

We are not an island. What more needs to be said? We are no more trapped than people in Boston.
I think he was talking about Long Island, not Westchester and saying that you DON'T feel that way in Westchester.

One thing that always turned me off from the idea of living in Long Island (I'm a lifelong Westchesterite, except for a couple of years in the Bronx, a few years in the Albany, NY area, and a few months in the Hartford, CT area on a temporary assignment) is the fact that you have to go through NYC to go anywhere......

Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 AM

148 posts, read 531,701 times
Im from Long Island, and the only thing I miss is the ocean. Westchester only offers local pools and southern areas off the LI Sound, which is no comparison to LI waters on the south shore.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
Im from Long Island, and the only thing I miss is the ocean. Westchester only offers local pools and southern areas off the LI Sound, which is no comparison to LI waters on the south shore.
Agreed, but it's not TOO bad a drive to them from Westchester (granted, there's tolls and traffic.... )

Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 PM

50 posts, read 100,986 times
I live in White Plains, the county seat of Westchester. I feel the least trapped of any place I've lived on the east coast. Quick access to I-287 puts me over the Hudson and into upstate NY, the Taconic for New England and VT, and just 15 min eastbound puts me at the beach in Rye. After having spent over an hour in the past just getting across NYC to hit the highway north, I love having quick egress outside the entire metro area by being in WP.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM

12 posts, read 26,846 times
I grew up on Long Island and recently left Manhattan for the greener pastures of Westchester. While both Long Island and Manhattan are islands, I definitely did not feel trapped in Manhattan but there was no way I was going back to Long Island. In Westchester, we're able to easily visit friends and family both in Long Island, Norther Jersey, and the city, as well as escape north for the occasional weekend getaway. Some people keep the friends and family closer so if you very Long Island centric (as are many Long Islanders) or are a beach lover, you don't feel trapped, but if you like having options, like we do, then Westchester makes more sense.
Besides, when the world comes to an end (or the next massive hurricane hits bringing a huge storm surge, whichever comes first), you'll have better escape routes.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM

50 posts, read 100,986 times
Good point about hurricanes. We never seem to get deeply affected by that stuff in white plains. In fact, during Sandy, ABC local news named downtown WP the safest area city to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County