U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM

35 posts, read 107,143 times

Advertisements

Is it impossible to live in White Plains without a parking spot? Apparently you can't park on the street overnight so without a space are you screwed? Most of the apartments I've been looking at may only have 1 or 2 spaces but we need 3.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM

375 posts, read 1,462,540 times
Are you trying to save some bucks and looking for ways to do without a permit at one of those public lots? Unless you are able to find a street tucked a way in a neighborhood where they don't enforce that rule, and you can tolerate shuttling back and forth, I think you need to get a permit.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM

35 posts, read 107,143 times
Is there availability in the lots and how how much does a parking space typically cost on a monthly basis? A realtor told me that the lots are full but I think she might have been wanting me to lease a place she showed me in sleepy hollow.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 PM

114 posts, read 529,585 times
When I lived in WP, I had two cars and one spot. I used to pay for a spot at the White Plains Mall, where the DMV is. It's been years ago but I think I paid something like $125/mo. The Wal-mart parking lot is a private lot, but it's shared with Wal-mart and two office buildings. They do offer private parking - I had my second vehicle parked there up until a few years ago. It was $100/mo, if you pay quarterly, or $125/mo, monthly. No contract. They're owned by LAZ parking. Their policies may have changed, but it's worth a shot.

Parking on the street it sketchy, overnight. Even in some neighborhoods that don't have nightly patrols, they'll still will eventually ticket you. Silliest law I've ever seen, can't park on the street, even in front of your own home, between 2a and 6a.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM

490 posts, read 1,695,770 times
If you are planning to live in downtown WP or near by, you should consider keeping only two cars. It won't be a burden, area is very walk-able and has all you need. Otherwise, you can park at city center for around $100 per month or maybe consider living away from the center where you may be able to find a small house or a multifamily house where they may let you have 3 cars. Some churches rent parking spaces too at around the same price as city center. You should not leave your car on the street overnight because they will eventually ticket you and those tickets are not fun. Once they ticket you they will come back and do it again and again till eventually they will just put a boot on your car. Not worth the trouble.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County