Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
Honestly, I would spend some time here before you assume that you'll be bothered by airplane noise. I really rarely notice it. Leaf blowers are more of a pain than airplane noise. And if I'm right about where the section of Brooklyn is you're referring to, I think you were living practically next to JFK. Not the same thing as Westchester at all.
Thanks for the the note. Yes, I was pretty close to JFK but I think about the same distance as New Rochelle is to LaGuardia. Of course, it is always about flight patterns and sound insulation. I'll take a trip down to New Rochelle the next time we are out house hunting and see what it sounds like. It will be pretty apparent I guess. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
we can all thank NextGen for making more flights at lower altitudes, thus more noise ant constant intervals of 30 seconds.

it is everywhere.

airplane noise is intrusive and offensive.

and the FAA does not care.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 45,197 times
I have moved to Rye Brook a year ago, and was living in Briarcliff before. I find it really intrusive here, while there was none before. Adding insult to the injury is that I am 10 minutes to the WP Airport, but can't advantage of it either since there are only few flights.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
Thanks for the additional info.

I was in White Plains yesterday and didn't hear any flight noise. Is the noise confined to certain areas in particular? Thx.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times
I can't speak about the airplane noise in Larchmont as I've never lived there, but when I lived in the Country Ridge section of Rye Brook, our neighborhood was right in the landing path for Westchester County Airport. Thank God they eventually closed the Air National Guard base at the airport, because we used to get those huge military cargo planes flying over us too.

Even though the airport was a few miles from our house, you could sometimes hear the engines revving up on the larger planes before they took off. That was really the only bad thing about living in that area.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
we can all thank NextGen for making more flights at lower altitudes, thus more noise ant constant intervals of 30 seconds.

it is everywhere.

airplane noise is intrusive and offensive.

and the FAA does not care.
Well, you can either expect plane flight prices to continue to go straight up in the area, or you can let them fly more planes. Not many other options, demand is high and without new procedures you can't fit any more planes into the airports.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Well, you can either expect plane flight prices to continue to go straight up in the area, or you can let them fly more planes. Not many other options, demand is high and without new procedures you can't fit any more planes into the airports.

yeah so for the few hundred passengers that this effects, it affects hundreds of thousands of tax payers that own homes that now have to listen to the constant roar of airplanes flying directly over their home where they never flew before.

it is all a money making scan for the airline industry.

does anyone realize the amount of jet fuel that is crop dusting our homes and yards.
not to mention the noise pollution it causes.

we cant thank president obama for exempting the FAA for any envoronmental studies to be done.

the FAA does not care about the hundreds of thousands of tax paying citizens that the airplanes disturb. 3000 feet in the air is ridiculously to low, what part of this doesnt anyone seem to understand.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,992 times
I agree that the planes are too low. I never did figure out the flight patterns but think it depended on wind direction. There were many nights where I had to close all of my windows because planes came every 5 minutes or less. And we were nowhere near the airport for as low as they flew...I could even see what kind of airline it was.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I agree that the planes are too low. I never did figure out the flight patterns but think it depended on wind direction. There were many nights where I had to close all of my windows because planes came every 5 minutes or less. And we were nowhere near the airport for as low as they flew...I could even see what kind of airline it was.
this will show you the flights patterns of LGA and what the flight path of the day is.
I have none now, as they are flying up the hudson, over yonkers down to LGA.
It will change by morning

LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR

Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,291 times
We just moved over here by the Isle of San Souci from the town of Sammamish, WA on average I clock about 1 plane every 90 seconds..we didn't know this when we bought the house, I think it tapers off in the late afternoon which is why the sellers had us come by then whenever we needed to check things out. another interesting fact is we found NYS to be a Non Disclosure State. Oh yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County