Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 38,791 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house in a rather expensive area in Westchester, and it is an otherwise nice house but is basically next to a police station/firehouse. The agent and the firemen told me they try to be sensitive when turning on the sirens, but I am still a bit concerned about the noise/safety, etc.

So what kind of discount should be given to this factor? 10%? 15%? 20%?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,610,243 times
What town is it?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 38,791 times
Default scarsdale

scarsdale is the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What town is it?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:29 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,610,243 times
I'd ask if they run a siren every day. I lived near a firehouse in Westchester and they ran the siren every day at 12PM, and I think 5PM.

I don't think in Scarsdale the police station will be of any worry. I'd worry more about the fire siren. Are you very sensitive to noise? It can be absolutely ear piercing if you are close

Old 10-08-2007, 04:43 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,492,558 times
on a positive note....you'll always know what time it is...and be first to have your chimney fire put out!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM

131 posts, read 790,731 times
Default Scarsdale's fire dept.

I grew up in Scarsdale and just moved away from there (up to Rochester) at the end of June.
I'm assuming that the house you're looking at must be near the police/fire station that's near the Fenimore Road/Post Rd. intersection, right? (The other fire station is at Popham & Post, but there's no police station there.)

To be honest, I'd be more worried about traffic noise from the Post Road than I would be about sirens. If the house is right on Post, then I'd expect the price to be maybe 10% lower than a house that's not right on that busy street. But the presence of the police/fire station itself really shouldn't be too much of a worry. Scarsdale does not have one of those sirens that goes off to call all the volunteers to the firehouse (I think they use a more high-tech method of getting in touch with everyone.) They do turn on the sirens on the fire trucks when they're responding to a call, of course, but I think they wait to turn them on until they're actually out on the street. As far as I can recall, they don't ever use the alarms to "announce" the time or as a warning that there's a fire.

One thing you should know is that there is a planned expansion of the police station (or as they call it, the "Public Safety Building") set to start...I'm not sure when. I believe they are still ironing out the details with the Village. But at some time down the road there will probably be some construction going on.
Feel free to send me a direct message if you have more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County