Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM

75 posts, read 119,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelectro View Post
There is definitely more to do in Brooklyn or anywhere in NYC for that matter. Having said that, there are things to do in comparison to the suburbs, it is less expensive than Manhattan and its only 30 minutes away. I think it's nice to take the train into manhattan and come back for a relatively quiet place to sleep.
I'm with you on that. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
What exactly are you looking for??? There are bars, restaurants, movie theaters, shopping malls, etc etc... No, it's not Brooklyn or Manhattan, but it's not a sleepy village that shuts down at 6pm either. And I'm sure it doesn't have the kind of pretentious places that someone who thinks she's famous wants to go to to "be seen" (or something), hence the bad rap.

What is it that you like to do exactly?

Your last sentence in 1st paragraph is funny but true

Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutbetty View Post
I am trying to get the perspective of a White Plains resident. I am looking for a "community" where I know my neighbors and my children are allowed to play outside. I have visited White Plains and I like the way it looks, but visiting and living somewhere are two different experiences. On my block in Brooklyn I know many of my neighbors and there is a strong sense of community. It's not the best neighborhood but I've always felt safe here. My family has been here for over 60 years too, so I am also looking for an area where I can plan on staying for as long as possible. I am Puerto Rican/Dominican so I'd also like to know if there are any decent Puerto Rican or Dominican restaurants in White Plains (I went to "Sofrito's" but it was overpriced, I know there are Mexican restaurants but that is not what I'm looking for.
Many posters have commented on the excellant selection of hispanic restaurants in Port Chester. As for a sense of community find the area that looks good then visit in the evening or on the weekend to see how it looks when everyone is home. If you concerned about a large ethnic presences then talk with the local church or groups to get a feel on the community make-up. Definetly agree that reality shows are not the benchmark to base an opinion on especially anything that has the word "Housewife" in it...

Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
I'm confused...on another post you said you had no kids.

If I didn't have kids, I would never in a million years choose any part of Westchester over Brooklyn.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I'm confused...on another post you said you had no kids.

If I didn't have kids, I would never in a million years choose any part of Westchester over Brooklyn.
FYI, I am prego.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Yep,

There is probably nothing to do in White Plains. As Monte Python famously said: RUN AWAY!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Okay, in another thread you just said that you moved to White Plains 6 years ago from Yonkers. What are you trying to stir up here???

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
compared to Rockland where i grew up, White Plains was like Manhattan!!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:50 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
Since we're on the topic, she said she was 51, too, but I guess anything is possible....

Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 AM

142 posts, read 315,921 times
its a boring city. galleria is the only thing saving it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County