Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM

42 posts, read 36,918 times

Advertisements

Usually suburbs and richer areas are more conservative than the city counterparts. Is this true for Westchester? My friends says that people are all pro-Obama supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
LOL, not in my area they are not! I don't even know if most of the affluent areas are really majority democratic anymore. They may not say it, since it's still un-PC to say you are a republican, but even democrats I know are at the end of their ropes. I mean, really, how many more taxes can NYers handle?

But seriously, are you trying to start a war on here?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanahano View Post
Usually suburbs and richer areas are more conservative than the city counterparts. Is this true for Westchester? My friends says that people are all pro-Obama supporters.
I have only been here a year but I find politics to be so much more complex than that here, and literally everything is politicized. There are factions within factions within factions here.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
It really depends upon the town/village, but there are some areas in Westchester that are not majority Obama supporters. Westchester politics are definitely a mixed bag, and I find that people don't tend to blindly follow party lines.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
In my personal experience it is definitely majority Democratic, though there are certainly small areas that are not and the Republican minority can be large. In the last presidential election only two towns in Westchester voted majority Republican (Somers and somewhere in lower Westchester), and we will soon have town-by-town percentages for the next election so you'll be able to get a better idea. (And if Romney wins you can have my house for cheap since I've already picked out a nice place abroad.)

But note that local elections really are local. With very few exceptions, local elections never involve party politics on any level and people often cross over. I even voted for a Republican in the last town election.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,719 times
I've actually posted a similar thread a while ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...stchester.html

Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
(And if Romney wins you can have my house for cheap since I've already picked out a nice place abroad.)
Some homes in Kitsilano and Point Grey in BC offer astonishing views of the Pacific, with good schools and reasonable commutes to the city. Time to start looking given that if Romney doesn't win in 2012, Palin will in 2016.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
"Time to start looking given that if Romney doesn't win in 2012, Palin will in 2016."

Are you out of your mind?!? I'm a die hard Republican and even that made me choke on my drink. Never in a million years will Palin ever be president.

We're equally screwed this election but Palin 2016?! Um....yeah that'll happen.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Unless the voter base changes, whoever the GOP will nominate, even Christie, will likely lean to the far right despite all their pledges to move to the middle. It's not so much the personalities as it is the constituencies. In fairness, the same can be said about the Democrats and the left. Pelosi and her cabal will have to be satisfied. The atmosphere is becoming more and more polarized as elections go by.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Westchester is overwhelmingly blue and has been for a long time. Look here - //www.city-data.com/elec08/WEST...-NEW-YORK.html

The only time you'll see a change is at the local level when people get so disgusted with the corruption in city hall they throw the rascals out. But usually just to replace them with another Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County