Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM

369 posts, read 633,577 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I also would recommend Larchmont. I just joined Junior League and there are so many moms who live in Larchmont who are really friendly and active, with kids in the same age range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 24,038 times
Thanks so much for everyone's advice...

I would say we are looking for homes from Larchmont all the way up to Greenwich, CT...

the job will be in Rye... I want to keep the commute as short as possible... I am very used to being involved with my kids and I am not a Dad who skips events

Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
Good for you! It saddens me to see the number of kids in this town who never see one or both parents M-F.

At any rate, you should know that traffic is pretty nonexistent between Rye and Larchmont on the 95, but in CT it is a mess. You'll be after Stamford so you should be OK, but north of that is brutal even on weekends.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
Renting could work. I actually saw a house for rent in Rye while on a run the other day, and it's half way between two of the elementary school. I live in Rye (have for 2 years) with my husband and we really like it here. We're in our late 20s with no kids, so we're a little out of place, but they have a great Newcomers group that would fit you guys great, plus they are always having town events at the Nature Center, or the Rec Center. It's more kid-centric activities, but we really like the family feel here and are really comfortable, even though we're kid-free. At $2m, you would definitely be able to find something! Houses here aren't all that expensive...
How did you end up in Rye? You better hurry up and start breeding. That's all anyone in these parts does!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM

369 posts, read 633,577 times
At the time, my husband's company was based in Valhalla and I worked from home as an editor. There was no need to live in Manhattan, so we looked around for apartments in Westchester. We like Rye a lot and we are down the street from the business district and across the street from the train station. It's perfect! I can get to Grand Central faster and for less rent than if I lived in Brooklyn.

Right now I'm in school to become a nurse and we have no plans to start a family for 2+ years. We are friends with loads of other young professional couples, who we met via church, Meetup, and just in our building. It took awhile to grow into but we've really warmed up to it and it's great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County