Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,282 times

Advertisements

I love the insight on these boards so am hoping for more on our situation. My husband and I have two children under three and are looking to move to Westchester for all the normal reasons...space, schools, outdoor activities, and community feel. We have honed our search to these three towns and I would love to get opinions on each to help us decide where to land.

Specifically,
1. Are the Dobbs and P'ville schools as good as Irvington's? I have read all the stats but am wondering more about the quality of life for a student at these schools, including a worry that Irvington is becoming too competitive.
2. We can't seem to find housing in our price range (700s) near the downtown areas in these towns. Is that the case or has the season for real estate listings not arrived yet? We keep seeing town homes in Dobbs and Irvington. Anyone have an opinion on living in a townhouse community out there?
3. Is the housing market in each town equally competitive? We would like a starter home that we can resell easily in a few years. Any opinions on this?

Any and all opinions on deciding among these towns is appreciated!
Thanks,
LK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lklipbell View Post
2. We can't seem to find housing in our price range (700s) near the downtown areas in these towns. Is that the case or has the season for real estate listings not arrived yet? We keep seeing town homes in Dobbs and Irvington. Anyone have an opinion on living in a townhouse community out there?
Be careful about the locations of these homes as well. You could be getting a house for <700K but these could be at the foot of hills or between two mountainous areas.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lklipbell View Post
I love the insight on these boards so am hoping for more on our situation. My husband and I have two children under three and are looking to move to Westchester for all the normal reasons...space, schools, outdoor activities, and community feel. We have honed our search to these three towns and I would love to get opinions on each to help us decide where to land.

Specifically,
1. Are the Dobbs and P'ville schools as good as Irvington's? I have read all the stats but am wondering more about the quality of life for a student at these schools, including a worry that Irvington is becoming too competitive.
Close but not as competitive.
Quote:
Should be available. But maybe either people aren't selling, mortgage market is tight, or something else.
I do seem to see fewer for sale signs around. And I would never buy a townhouse. Much harder to sell.
Quote:
3. Is the housing market in each town equally competitive? We would like a starter home that we can resell easily in a few years. Any opinions on this?
It is probably better in Irvington but a bit uncertain all around.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM

107 posts, read 441,301 times
I really like Pleasantville and would have loved to buy a home there. However, there is limited train parking and limited trains that make the Pleasantville stop. So, we bought in Chappaqua were there is tons of train parking and about twice as many trains to and from GCT.

If you are commuting by train, you might consider Chappaqua. There are quite a few homes for sale in your price range and, although my experience is limited, the schools don't seem to be the competitive "pressure cooker" many suggest.

Good luck in your home search!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM

51 posts, read 144,525 times
Good choices, all three. Small grade sizes in the schools. I would choose Pleasantville due to the fact its a small village which leads to cohesiveness of the residents and the central location in Westchester. I am sure once spring hits more houses will come on the market.

I do love dinning at the riverfront in Irvington.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM

78 posts, read 183,242 times
I don't know these towns that well, but I work near Pleasantville, and it is such a charming little town. The schools have an excellent reputation, and the town has amenities like parks and a pool. I get the impression that it's got a small town feel - very pleasant ;-) Regarding the real estate market, things really don't start to come on for the spring market for another couple/few weeks, and then you'll be seeing many new listings weekly. People putting their homes on in Feb. are looking to close around May / June, making Feb/March/April prime listing months. Our broker's husband says he doesn't see her from MLK to Memorial Day!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM

796 posts, read 1,755,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Be careful about the locations of these homes as well. You could be getting a house for <700K but these could be at the foot of hills or between two mountainous areas.
Sorry, but why that would be a bad thing?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,283 times
I'm guessing flooding... A problem all over Westchester. NEVER buy a house at the bottom of a hill.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
/\/\

Exactly.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliInChappaqua View Post
I really like Pleasantville and would have loved to buy a home there. However, there is limited train parking and limited trains that make the Pleasantville stop.
You can park at Hawthorne or Valhalla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County