U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM

94 posts, read 201,631 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking at homes in Westchester and Putnam counties and noticing that some of the homes I like use oil for heating. I'm not completely opposed to oil, but I have heard from many people, if you can buy a home with gas heating, do it. Because converting can be very very expensive.

Does anyone have an idea (ballpark) of what an oil to gas conversion costs in those counties? I assume that access (or lack of access) to a gas line from the street makes a huge difference. For example, a home using NAt Gas for cooking, but oil for heating is easier to convert vs. a home completely on electric and oil.

I am curious to see if anyone has had any experience with this already. I certainly don't want to have to spend the extra money after a home purchase to convert. Is living with oil heating all that bad?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,237,394 times
The main issue with oil heating is cost. Last month my gas bill was about $200, while most of my friends on oil average $600 per month during the heating season for similarly sized homes.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how big of a home are we talking about? $600 seems a bit steep. If oil is that much more than Nat Gas, then it probably makes most sense to not buy a home on oil heating.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 4,237,394 times
Mine is about 2500 sq. ft and has fairly decent insulation and new windows. I know this topic has been discussed before and that amount seems about average. Not sure the $$ to convert though...you'd have to do a break even but it would help resale.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
bg7

7,695 posts, read 9,813,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx1968 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how big of a home are we talking about? $600 seems a bit steep. If oil is that much more than Nat Gas, then it probably makes most sense to not buy a home on oil heating.
Thats not much different (slightly above) what I pay on oil in the mid-winter months.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM

6,159 posts, read 7,017,913 times
Last time I checked the difference in cost was very big. If there is a gas line on the street, it may be worth, otherwise, its not worth the trouble. A few years back there was a difference in cost and we were bombarded every day with ads from gas companies to convert to gas. These days they remain very quiet and that may be a sign.
I am personally not big fan of heating with gas because of potential safety issues.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM

19 posts, read 76,682 times
It cost me about 14k total to convert (new gas installation). Mind you, there was gas on the street, so there was no additonal cost.

10k conversion
2k chimney liner
1.8k Undergound oil tank removal

Based on the savings/cost difference, it will pay for itself in 2.5 to 3 years.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM

223 posts, read 782,418 times
I think our conversion was about 20k for a 3000 sq ft house. They had to bring the gas line in from the street. Coned did not charge us for this since we were converting but I think it was about 2k for the trench they needed to dig. OUr oil bills used to be 600-700 per month last year,we estimated this would be at least half with gas. Estimated payback for us is 5 years. We also have a generator though and running it for a couple of days on propone when there was an outage cost a fortune, also we were able to get rid of those ugly propane tanks and free up room in the utility room where the oil tank was.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM

2,421 posts, read 5,852,532 times
We converted from oil to natural gas three years ago, just before the price of heating oil shot up. At $4.00/gallon, you will save 65%+/- with gas; more if we ever get another bad coldspell.

For the entire month of December, our gas bill (with cooking gas) for 2,300 sq.ft. presumably poorly insulated 1926 house was $325.00. I'm guessing we would have used a miniumum of 200 gallons of heating oil.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Thank you all for your responses. This input really helps out a lot. I spoke with a friend of mine who lives in Putnam Valley and she is on oil. Her last fill up was about a month ago and she spent around $6/700. Although, which makes this even more confusing, she said her family could survive on that until say April or May. Her home is about 2500 sq ft and has sky lights, so she gets a little heating help from mother nature.

I see/hear so many different answers from people $600/qtr vs. $600/month. I bet the monthly group has the heat on all day. I'm a heat miser so I could definitely see myself more in the quarterly club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County