Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 AM

284 posts, read 534,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The thing is, in Mamaroneck and Larchmont you are paying for walkable towns with lots of other facilities AND quick railroad access. If you're not commuting to the city, then why pay that price premium?
We would prefer not to pay the premium of course, but do want to retain the amenities of a walkable town. Any other suggestions for walkable towns with good schools that might be a bit cheaper because of less access to NYC railroads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
?? You're so far off the map on this you're out in the ocean.

As for the schools, they are fine. They're at about 25% diversity in the HS - so if you compare them to other schools you'll need a reasonable comparison on that. Chappaqua and Scarsdale are stellar when it comes to SAT scores so to compare a school's scores to them and then conclude the school isn't that that great is odd. That means you have a binary system which just "not great" and "great" as your only categories.
Maybe the person who spoke to me about it was misinformed, but he told me that Mamaroneck has the same kind of demographic as Port Chester and that neither are too desirable..

Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
We would prefer not to pay the premium of course, but do want to retain the amenities of a walkable town. Any other suggestions for walkable towns with good schools that might be a bit cheaper because of less access to NYC railroads?
Well - walkable to what exactly? Walkable to schools and parks and a main street, cinema, restaurants, mom n pop stores (like Mamaroneck and Larchmont village centers), or just walkable to, say, the parks and school? What do you have in mind as to the town's amenities? Or do you just mean towns with sidewalks and not large separate lots with just grass verges?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Well - walkable to what exactly? Walkable to schools and parks and a main street, cinema, restaurants, mom n pop stores (like Mamaroneck and Larchmont village centers), or just walkable to, say, the parks and school? What do you have in mind as to the town's amenities? Or do you just mean towns with sidewalks and not large separate lots with just grass verges?
We would prefer something that has the feel of Mamaroneck & Larchmont villages, but if we can't have that within our price range, then definitely at least an area with sidewalks, not too woodsy, where you can see other people on the streets walking dogs/strollers. Thank you again.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
bg7

Quote:
Maybe the person who spoke to me about it was misinformed, but he told me that Mamaroneck has the same kind of demographic as Port Chester and that neither are too desirable..
Perhaps he just has an issue with non-white communities? Or perhpas he just recommends the highest-scoring schools.

Port Chester HS does have issues with SAT scores - it'd be in "tier 4" on that chart. The diversity level is very high there for Westchester - about 80% non-white. MHS does have racial diversity (about 25% non-white) - that makes it a more comfortable fit with those people moving up from the city for example who want more space and uniformly good schools, a backyard, clean streets and parks, but are uncomfortable in the more homogenous communities (for example, Chappaqua or Rye at 90% white with most of the rest being asian). A lot of former brooklynites/manhattanhites fit that mold where they want a trade off of good school but still want some variety and diversity like they have in the city. But some people are all about school scores. I don't know where you fit on the spectrum.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Elin,

In terms of the schools, most of them should be more academically comparable once the common curriculum gets implemented.

Are there special programs that are important to you? Each school has its own set of enrichment programs based on the priorities of its families. For example, MHS offers vocational/technical education, performing arts sequence and Chinese language instruction. Some other districts do not. Harrison offers IB and Italian language, others do not. Some might even offer German language. It depends. These programs can be a big deal to some families.

Look at the curricula and see if there is something special that you are looking for.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
A lot of former brooklynites/manhattanhites fit that mold where they want a trade off of good school but still want some variety and diversity like they have in the city. But some people are all about school scores. I don't know where you fit on the spectrum.
I am a former brooklynite and manhattanite myself, but when I speak about great schools, I am looking for high-performing schools. Currently I live in Fairfield County and have been looking at the towns with good schools in this area, but thought I might have better luck finding what we're looking for (in terms of requirements for a town) in Westchester...

Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
bg7

Quote:
The more I think about it I realize I can only give advice on the commutable towns on the Sound and on the Hudson, so I'll have to butt out. My impressions of other places would likely be off the mark. I do know Rye Brook, but it doesn't have a "downtown" so it doesn't fit your criteria. It does have easy access to Port Chester though. I say that because Port Chester is a reasonable chunk of urban in the suburban Westchester. There is some half-decent entertainment there inlc. the Capitol Theater, the movies are very accessible, and it has quite an active restuarant scene, with attendant openings and closings..

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times
Quote:
That's just funny. Who on earth have you been talking to? bg7 gave you the numbers - 80% non-white vs. 25% non-white. Hmm...

Mamaroneck DOES have an immigrant/Latino population, and it's city transplants and ex-pats that flock to this area BECAUSE of the diversity, because they don't want their kid going to a school that is entirely white and Asian (ie. Scarsdale). Larchmont definitely has more of the name recognition and a more well-to-do stereotype than Mamaroneck, and I admit that Mamaroneck didn't initially make it onto our radar for areas to look in, but once we actually lived in Westchester and got to know the place, well, we kind of like living in an "under the radar" type of place. We'll gladly keep Orienta to ourselves...

BTW, sidewalks are very uncommon in residential areas in Westchester. Sure, you can find them here and there, and definitely in Larchmont which is why people love it, but otherwise you will be SOL.

Unfortunately, for a reasonable commute to Stamford and WP this IS a good area to look in and meets your requirements, but price will be tricky. Like I said, keep your eyes on the Larchmont, Mamaroneck, and Rye Neck (area between Mamaroneck and Rye with its own small school district) areas in the coming weeks, you never know what might pop up.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM

258 posts, read 907,989 times
I love Larchmont and I think the schools are great but would not consider it if I wasn't commuting to the city and had an $800,000 budget. I would consider Pleasantville. It is a walkable town, with a fine arts movie theatre, restaurants, parks. There are tons of town amenities. It is not rural at all. The schools are good and you can definitely find a house in your price range. Pleasantville and Larchmont both appeal to the city transplant that wants a backyard and also to be able to walk to the store. It is not for people who want a lot of land.
I would also consider the river towns. Dobbs and Irvington also have stores and a walkable town center. Mt Kisco has a great town center but the houses are more spread apart. There are a lot of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County