Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,146 times

Advertisements

My husband and I love a home we recently saw in chappaqua. We saw the house when it already had an offer on it. We decided not to make an offer, because we didn't want to get in a bidding war, and wanted to get a good price (the home is quite expensive). History: The home was purchased by a builder in 2004, and was completely renovated by him. It feels like a brand new home - high end kitchen, bathrooms, deck, sunroom, lovely. Here is the catch. The home is listed as a 2 bedroom, even though it has 3 full bedrooms upstairs. It is a very lovely home, lovely kitchen, not inexpensive by any means. It is exactly what we've been looking for.

We have just been told that the people that placed the offer backed out.. because they are upset about the fact that the house is listed as a 2 bedroom. What is this about? If we buy this home, are we stuck with a home that is forever listed as a 2 bedroom, and is this going to be an issue if we ever want to sell it. Or is this something that can simply be fixed by the town records if the builder filed the right permis.

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts. I do like and trust my realtor, but he keeps saying 'don't worry about it" and the worrywart in me is upset. Last night this was the house of my dreams and I was really bummed that there was another offer on it. Now I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,850,332 times
To be called a bedroom, it must have a closet...do all the bedrooms (real or imagined) have at least one closet?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,941,095 times
Default 2br vs. 3br

The last poster is correct - it must have a closet. That is easy to correct on your end, however. Bid on the house and reflect your offer as a 2br. If your offer is accepted, after closing, build a simple corner closet; small is fine...and you're set. If the room has any features that would lend itself a box closet or longer (like an alcove), then go with that. Best scenario would be that the room is large enough for an entire wall to be used as a closet. Worked with a carpenter for a while - he had to do all 3 versions & all 3 are legal solutions.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM

131 posts, read 790,607 times
Default Windows? Entrances?

I think there are regulations about windows as well as closets--to be a bedroom, doesn't a room have to have at least one window--or possibly two?-- which must be a certain size (for safety reasons--so a person could exit from there if need be.) It might also be something about the location of the room--is it a separate room, or do you have to go through another room to get to it?

There must be a way you can find out exactly what is keeping this third bedroom from being listed as such. It could be a mistake, it could be something very easy to fix, or it could be something not so easy to fix (e.g., the window or location issues.) If your realtor can't give you a straight answer, perhaps you can find out by contacting the town directly, to find out what the regulations are.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,172,497 times
If you change the status to a 3 bedroom the taxes will go up by 10K to 20K. Your taxes should be a LOT lower as a 2 bedroom. So buy the house, enjoy it, enjoy the low taxes!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM

81 posts, read 613,940 times
Interesting...I backed out of a "three" bedroom home in Connecticut for the reverse...it was listed as a 3-bedroom, when in fact one of the rooms was small, had an adjoining door to the master bedroom, and no closet. It wasn't the main factor, but a contributing factor, as I was thinking of not only the fact that I was being sold a 2 bedroom for the price of the 3 bedroom, but also the impact this would have on the resale.

I would be concerned also if I were you about the impact this will have this will have if this room is an add-on and there is no permit. What if a potential buyer for your property questions this. You need to be sure you are willing to take the risk.

As another poster mentioned...doing the "right" thing will cause your taxes to go up, so that's something to also consider.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,733,154 times
Be very, very careful about that house. If it is on a septic system, and the BOH found that system was adequate for only 2 bedrooms, you will be stuck with that when it comes time to sell as well. Many people don't realize that the size of the septic field (and its replacement if it fails) is tied to the number of bedrooms, not baths or square footage. Many people try to work around with things like "bonus" rooms which either are missing a closet or a door when built but can have them added (illegally) after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County