U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,387 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am looking for advice. I am looking for a fun city or location to rent in west chester county.

I am 25 year old man, single, and looking for a fun atmoshpere place to rent.

I have lived in college towns for the past 7 years and I am looking for a similar place that has a good bar scene and good places to eat.

I have been to Nyack which is orange county and that is one option at the moment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM

369 posts, read 595,959 times
Assuming you HAVE to live up here (I know ShouldHaveLeft914 is going to mention it at some point), then your best options are:

1) White Plains
2) Stamford (technically CT but very little difference commute wise)
3) Mamaroneck
4) New Rochelle

More or less in order of preference, I suppose. I haven't spent much time down in NR, although it does have two college campuses. The others don't, but they are slightly more geared toward the younger folk as far as restaurants, bar scenes.

You should also check out meetup.com. There are a couple of meet-ups for twentysomethings and singles that you would probably enjoy, and they primarily meet in White Plains and sometimes Mamaroneck.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM

157 posts, read 330,541 times
Nyack is actually Rockland Country. Orange is the next county north of Rockland. I'd be careful about living in Rockland if you'll need to use the Tappan Zee bridge to commute. Given the upcoming construction, things may start to get more hectic than they already are around rush hour.

Living in Westchester as a 20-something is definitely doable and enjoyable, as long as you have the right group of friends and you know the area. I'm about your age and I actually enjoy living in Westchester more than I would enjoy living in the city or any of the boroughs. Where are you moving from?

Your desire for a vibrant bar scene somewhat limits your options. Justabitoff has made the same suggestions I would have. I also suggest the following:
White Plains: you'll have all the bars and restaurants of Mamaroneck Ave to check out.
Stamford (which is in Fairfield Country, CT): has a vibrant night life scene and is very popular with people around our age.
New Rochelle: I actually hate New Rochelle and never, ever spend time there, but you would have a selection of bars and restaurants to frequent.
Mamaroneck: Probably the tamest of this lot, but still a decent selection of bars and restaurants on Mamaroneck Ave. Not to mention the Mamaroneck Diner is one of my favorite diners around the county.

Personally I'm not a fan of the towns I've mentioned above. I guess you could say I'm not your typical 20-something. I live in one of the River Towns and really enjoy the atmosphere they have. There are no chains, people are down to earth, there's a good selection of food, they're very walkable, etc. The nice thing about Westchester is despite not living in the city, you're usually a short Metro North train ride away. Now if only the MTA would run the trains past 2am.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM

I am moving from West Chester, PA.

My parents live in Bergen Co. NJ and would like to move back closer to them.

I am in insurance and my business would be based out of NY for necessary reasons.

White Plains & Stamford seem like great options. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM

1,496 posts, read 4,255,026 times
If your parents live in Bergen Co, why not Hoboken?

Even WP and Stamford suck by most standards. I certainly wouldn't add an hour to your commute to your parents for either of those. When I think of college towns I think of Boulder, Austin, etc....those aren't even close. Certainly more exciting than Rye, but a far cry from a vibrant college town.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,216,860 times
The value proposition of living in Hoboken is getting lousier and lousier the more people think about it.

College town with bars, I would say Poughkeepsie, Stony Brook, New Brunswick.

If you're 25 and want to live in Westchester, get a small car. The fine establishments tend to be pretty spread out but there are places you can enjoy.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The value proposition of living in Hoboken is getting lousier and lousier the more people think about it.

College town with bars, I would say Poughkeepsie, Stony Brook, New Brunswick.

If you're 25 and want to live in Westchester, get a small car. The fine establishments tend to be pretty spread out but there are places you can enjoy.
OP: Definitely have a car in Westchester; you'll need it!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Hobo would be too far of a commute if my office would be in NY state.

NJ is still an option just would have to be more north then Hobo.

Pearl River is an option, Nyack, and some places in Bergen county at this point.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2phi View Post
Hobo would be too far of a commute if my office would be in NY state.

NJ is still an option just would have to be more north then Hobo.

Pearl River is an option, Nyack, and some places in Bergen county at this point.
Just keep in mind the commute and toll over the GW if you live in NJ.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM

369 posts, read 595,959 times
I agree, the commute over the Tappan always looks horrendous when I'm driving home (I have a reverse commute to school). Hoboken is very fun, but not a good option depending on your offices location. Other possible towns are Mt. Kisco (farther up, so it'll be cheaper, but a bit of a drive / commute to the city) and Port Chester, which I live near. Those are little more diverse, more of a Hispanic population, especially Port Chester, but IMO they have everything you'd need. Lots of independent restaurants, but it has the big movie theater and grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County