Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 PM

353 posts, read 1,363,818 times

Advertisements

Rye isn't that bad and why DMA1250 is bashing New Yorkers is beyond me. I do think Rye is pretentious, but this person is making it sound like white trash - which it is not. You saw Rye on a bad day. I used to live there, it is wealthy and you have snotty people but you do have some nice people too. As a matter of fact, they stop to let you cross the street. Gasp! In Rye? Yes, in Rye.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:43 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,229,108 times
People are confusing the City of Rye and Village of Rye Brook, which are two very different communities. This shopping center is located in Rye Brook. You would probably find that a very small percentage of the shoppers that the poster is talking about live in the City of Rye.

Rye is an older and much more attractive community that contains a lovely waterfront and is predominantly WASP and Irish Catholic. Rye Brook was mostly developed from the 1950's to the 1970's, and is predominantly Jewish and Italian.

Rye has a very diverse housing stock ranging from converted summer bungalows to $10 million mansions. Rye Brook is one of the most economically homogenous communities in Westchester. Most houses are ranches, splits and raised ranches, with a few large condo complexes.

And both are snooty in their own way. Rye residents think Rye is God's gift to the earth. Rye Brook residents think their school district is God's gift to the earth.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 AM

12 posts, read 47,993 times
I live in Rye Brook and I'm no particular booster of much of the community. I find many of the residents shallow, cliquey and given to conspicuous consumption. That said, I'm in Rye Ridge Plaza almost every day, in part because I have bad Starbucks habit. I generally find the bathroom in Starbucks to be neat and clean and the customers in the shopping center to be perfectly well behaved. And yes, many of them are from Port Chester. How do I know this? (1) I hear people talking and sometimes the conversation makes it obvious one way or another. (2) Teenagers in Port Chester jackets, etc are, presumably from PC. (3) I see the mayor of Port Chester in there fairly regularly. (4) I know some of the people and know where they live.

And I can't imagine what makes you assume that the person who left a poopy diaper in the bathroom was rich or upset because of the lack of nanny. In my experience, rudeness cuts across class lines and disgusting, inconsiderate behavior can be found at every socioeconomic level. Further, as much as people depend on their nannys, I have never, never, never heard a single person, no matter how spoiled, complain about having to change their own child's diaper.

Your disgusted description of expensive cars, expensive clothes and tastelessly dressed teenagers (because goodness knows, lower middle class and working class teenagers always dress with impeccable class and good taste), along with your inability to spell, suggest more than a little class envy.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,983,667 times
Default A few more mis-spelled words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam2 View Post

Your disgusted description of expensive cars, expensive clothes and tastelessly dressed teenagers (because goodness knows, lower middle class and working class teenagers always dress with impeccable class and good taste), along with your inability to spell, suggest more than a little class envy.

Did I spell something wrong?..."Tie me up and beat me!!!"...How perfect you must be...Like everyone in that area...Just what I am talking about..

OK..I'm only kidding you..

I appreciate your defense of your area...I lived in Rye Brook for many years...

And, I am not suffering from envy...I moved on...And, I may move back there again...(I'd actually make a great neighbor...Got anything available next door to you?)...OK, kidding again...

But, I wrote what I saw that day...I was not exaggerating (I better spell check that one)...

It's not a perfect place, and the people are not perfect...It's mostly that one would expect so much more from them...Like I said, from what I saw that day, I can honestly say that I've been in cleaner truck stops...

And, it may not reflect on everyone of any particular class...But, it certainly reflects on enough of them, to make it worth mentioning...And, perhaps if more people did mention it, some of these people would take a better look at themselves and their public habits...

("...where's this damned spell check button...She's gonna' come back with a vengeance...What?...I not gonna' download any damned software for this...They can live with the mis-spellings...")

Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 AM

185 posts, read 421,036 times
Just have to say, as I grew up in the area and spent 40 years of my life there, that I agree with some of what all of you above said - even you, Migee!

I have to thank you all for helping to remind me why I am so happy that I moved to northern Westchester instead of raising my family there.

Even though I get your overall point about class/money migee, since you are not looking to move to the area, why bash it? when I was looking to move out, I visited towns all over the place that people raved about, but I HATED. Even recently, I looked in N.C. , and my experience and feelings about the south were very mixed . However, one experience does not qualify me to go on a blog and either bash or rave about a community. I may decide right away that I could never live there, but I wouldn't jump on a soap box and call those that do classless! Don't you think that is a LITTLE disrespectul? I loved the remark about the SUV's too though - you do have a sense of humor, even if it is sarcastic!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 AM

19,075 posts, read 16,882,255 times
Enjoyable reading. I grew up in New City with all my family from Port Chester so I know th area. Currently I live in VA. From all the places i've been your description could fit any affluent community regarless of the location. Even here we have the monster SUV drivers who wouldn't know what to do if a real snow fall. The only difference for us is if a restaurant allowed their facilities to be so deplorable then people would go elswhere.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 94,092 times
It's true that people in Southern New York State are soooo snutty, piece of sh... attitude and really not friendly. I've been here for 10 years, seen it, met them and they are really only thinking about money, going to their churches, taking anti-depressive drugs like Prozac, lots of kids on hard drugs and having free sex, parents swinging with other couples and the jewish dressing like fashion is non existent. The blue collar workers are despicably rude, as if they owned America, while most are illegal. True, but there are also good people. Though when I meet them it only takes a while to discover their dirt. They are all going to hell anyway. Have a laugh... And if you are not money oriented, better be in another State.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:07 PM

20 posts, read 94,092 times
Talking Classy people wouldn't coment on others either!

I see NY is not for you. You have a lot to learn about New Yorkers. Read my post further down. I just want to give you a glimpse of what Southern N. Yorkers really are. Better luck somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I have to write this, as I just returned from a visit to Westchester.

Even though the people in Rye Brook, The City of Rye, and the surrounding high priced towns apparently have plenty money - They do not necessarily have any "class".

On Sunday morning we went to breakfast in the Rye Ridge Shopping Center. And, it was packed with the local people (who clearly were not church goers -The older ones sporting their trendy outdoor clothes, and their teenage daughters, sporting their too tight short-shorts, walking around with looks like they were God's gift to man...).

I've been in many different areas of the country, with people from all economic levels - And, I have to say that the mannerisms and habits of the people I saw that morning were among the lowest level I have ever seen.

Maybe they are just spoiled from growing up with money, or the ones that are newly rich simply don't have the class to handle it...But it was a pitiful site...

In the restaurant (in the mall), they had too few bathrooms to handle the number of people at the restaurant...Both the ladies and mens rooms had a line - And, you can imagine the condition of the bathrooms...Add to this, the condition that they were leaving the tables - They were absolute messes, that I have not seen anywhere else, even in truck stops...

We then went next door to the nationally known coffee shop. The ladies room there was beyond sickening...Apparently, someone changed a baby's diaper, and found nothing wrong with droping the contents all over the place (perhaps because she did not have the nanny with her, and was furious that she had to change her own kid's diaper)...But, she did not even bother to clean up after herself...It was disgusting...

And then it got funny...We went out into the parking lot, where there were more 4 wheel SUV's than in a Montana bar lot during hunting season - Except these were the high priced, trendy SUV's that clearly these people had no ability to drive...

It was almost like a comedy...When we stepped out of the coffee shop, there was one guy with his family with a very large traffic cone stuck under his SUV, and he was completely oblivous to it...Driving along with a dumb look on his face..."What's that noise?"...He did not realize that he ran over it (Thank God it was not a child)...

Standing there for about 3 seconds looking at this comedy, a woman in one of those very expensive behemoths of a SUV suddenly came barreling around a turn from one of the parking lanes, could not handle a turn into the two-lane exit (lanes) and slammed her front wheel into the curb where the shops and shoppers were walking - Everyone jumped into the air, thinking that she was coming up on the curb....And, in her spoiled brat way, she angrily slaps the steering wheel, as if it was the SUV's fault ???!!!

We had to get out of there....And, I tell you...I just looked at it all and thought to myself "Money does not give you class"...

Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 AM

52 posts, read 292,889 times
Default My grandparents lived in Rye back in the 1930s/40s

I must say I'm dismayed to hear that there are people of less than stellar pedigree back at the old homestead.

I trust that any misbehavior will be corrected post haste.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 PM

411 posts, read 1,597,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
It is not a fast food restaurant...Not when you're paying about $10 for a Patrami sandwich in the restaurant, and about $2 for a cup of coffee in the trendy coffee shop...(Get the picture....?).

And, I certainly lived there long enough to know who lives in Port Chester and who lives in the other towns...Come on???...The Port Chester people go to the old Caldors mall on US1 and Pathmark...They certainly do not shop in D'Agostinos!!!

Besides...The Port Chester people are to a good part "blue collar" workers...That are normally repairing or cleaning up the properties in the other (ritzier) surrounding areas...They know not to leave a mess behind them...

With the surrounding areas, and knowing who uses the Rye Ridge Shopping Center, what do you honestly think the mix of people there are on any particular day?....Who's kidding who?

What I say is valid....Like I said...Don't stain your Birkenstocks over it...
So what? If they all became model citizens would the war in Iraq come to an end? Would there be a cure for cancer? Would Paris Hilton obtain a Ph.D.?

Unimportant stuff (get the picture?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County