Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 PM

411 posts, read 1,598,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Did I spell something wrong?..."Tie me up and beat me!!!"...How perfect you must be...Like everyone in that area...Just what I am talking about..

OK..I'm only kidding you..

I appreciate your defense of your area...I lived in Rye Brook for many years...

And, I am not suffering from envy...I moved on...And, I may move back there again...(I'd actually make a great neighbor...Got anything available next door to you?)...OK, kidding again...

But, I wrote what I saw that day...I was not exaggerating (I better spell check that one)...

It's not a perfect place, and the people are not perfect...It's mostly that one would expect so much more from them...Like I said, from what I saw that day, I can honestly say that I've been in cleaner truck stops...

And, it may not reflect on everyone of any particular class...But, it certainly reflects on enough of them, to make it worth mentioning...And, perhaps if more people did mention it, some of these people would take a better look at themselves and their public habits...

("...where's this damned spell check button...She's gonna' come back with a vengeance...What?...I not gonna' download any damned software for this...They can live with the mis-spellings...")
If you want to see a strange collection of your fellow humans, come hang out at the social security office in Medford, Oregon sometime. You'll go screaming back to Rye Brook and kiss the ground.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,300,788 times
Default I gather you haven't been to East Hills

Long Island's communities are even snobbier than that! Wheatley Plaza in Greenvale...ugh. The Village of East Hills has their own exclusive park, high metal gate and 24 hour guard to keep out non-residents. Plus since no one or their kids does their lawns, they hire fleets of trucks stacked up with illegal immigrants to do it for them!
I have been to communities in Westchester, including the upscale ones like Scarsdale and Rye and have found it much better than Long Island's upscale communities.
I still prefer it up in northern Westchester though, since there's more parkland. But even the southern part of Westchester has more parkland than anywhere in nassau county LI.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM

27 posts, read 161,017 times
Default Rye residents

Rye happens to be one of the wealthiest communities in the United States, in the same category as Greenwich Ct. or Beverly Hills Ca. There is a great deal of old money there, along with the attitudes that go along with having wealth. It is virtually crime free and has a superb school system. If you go there and are not up to the financial levels of the residents, you will be looked down upon. Just get used to it.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,232,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al123 View Post
Rye happens to be one of the wealthiest communities in the United States, in the same category as Greenwich Ct. or Beverly Hills Ca. There is a great deal of old money there, along with the attitudes that go along with having wealth. It is virtually crime free and has a superb school system. If you go there and are not up to the financial levels of the residents, you will be looked down upon. Just get used to it.
Sounds like a great reason not to live in Rye. Even if you are well off, why would you want to live in a community where people look down upon those that are not well off.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 PM

15 posts, read 66,551 times
I have been reading these Westchester forums for a while now because we're considering a move from NYC to Westchester. Migee, where do you live? I would like to know because I want to make certain not to move there. I cannot get over the outrageous stereotypes that you point out to highlight Rye's "lack of class." People in "trendy outdoor clothes?" And "not church goers?" Teenagers wearing "too-tight short shorts?" Give me a break! Are all people who care about fashion awful? Are all people who do not go to church horrible? And those girls in short shorts must be promiscuous, right? Wrong! Your stereotypical beliefs are causing you to be (or at least sound) extremely close-minded. You may be missing out on some wonderful people because of your misconceptions.

Also, what is up with everyone hating people from NYC. The vast majority of people who live in NYC were not born and raised here so please stop judging all NYers on a few rude people you may have encountered on a trip. NYers can be some of the friendliest, warmest, funniest, and most intelligent people you will meet.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 14,358 times
Migee, Sorry I read this in Feb. 2008, But you hit the nail right on target! I can see the ones your talking about.I try not to walk to close to the curb when I shop there.As for the center itself - if it was in P.C. then why dose the Rye Brook Police handle the car accidents there.LOL,LOL

Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
L-1

8 posts, read 51,557 times
I suppose my problem with this post is that I don't understand why Migee is so shocked/upset/amused. This is the way it is in many US suburban towns... I agree that it's not a flattering depiction but you could write a similar post of how "ghetto" the ghetto (pick one) is or how "wanna-be hipster" Brooklyn is or how smarmy the Upper East side is. I mean, you went to Rye (or Rye Brook... whatever), you didn't like it... so what?

I mean, I might make a post about how I was simply passing through the city-data forums when I came across an idiot who was totally acting like an idiot and posting meaningless troll-type drivel (shock: on teh internetz no less) but what would be the point. If I was expecting to find something else here than I am the one with the problem. Thus, going to a suburban Westchester town and looking for "class" is kind of a stupid exercise to begin with. I mean, were you really expecting to find that Rye/Ryebrook was cool or classy? That's like going to a prison and making a lenghty post about how the inmates didn't seem very nice. But I suppose that if, as the post title suggests, you require "proof that money does not give you class" these points are lost on the original submitter anyway.

Last edited by L-1; 03-06-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM

40 posts, read 257,895 times
Migee,
Ranting and raving about a sub-par, mall, chain restaurant's customers! Not the food, service, etc. Sorry we had the bathroom review! I forgot!

Get a life! Or better yet, write about the stuff in the place you live (and obviously love) instead of trashing the place where your first two divorces occurred.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,221 times
I worked as a Nanny to a family in Rye Brook - the most loving, giving, kind, beautiful family I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. They are still in my life and if this world were filled with more people like them - the world would be a better place. To stereotype people because of where they live is really unrealistic, there are rude people everywhere, there are kind people everywhere. I believe that you had a bad experience in Rye Brook, and am happy you found somewhere to live that suits you better. Have a great day.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,998,580 times
Migee, what a brilliant post! Do not be put off by your detractors. You have perfectly described the essential nature of Southern Westchester: nouveau riche, classless mobs trying desperately to seperate themselves from their hoping-someday-to-be nouveau riche fellows still trapped on Long Island the Bronx or Staten Island. They do this in the only way they know how, ostentatious conspicuous consumption (the useless SUV's, expensive but tasteless clothes, etc.). Just listen to the accents. Northern Westchester, on the other hand, is another world entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County