Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM

7 posts, read 16,546 times

Advertisements

Planning a move to Hastings this summer and am looking for some advice regarding daycare. We currently have a full time nanny (3xs a week) but will be looking for a school or daycare next year for our 2-year old. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM

293 posts, read 886,401 times
To start your search: childcarewestchester.org has a search function for NYS licensed daycare providers - centers and home based.

Check out Happy Harbor Daycare in Hastings. I looked at them two years ago and they were lovely. We didn't go because I found a closer provider to where I was living at the time. But if I had moved to Hastings, I would have gone there in a second.

If you are interested in a home based day care situation, I would highly recommend my former provider - she is extremely loving and provided a wonderful, stable and nurturing environment for my child. They are in Yonkers off of 287/Tuckahoe Road. Depending on where you live in Hastings, its about 10 - 20 minutes away. PM me for details if you're interested.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM

71 posts, read 144,030 times
Not a direct answer thought I'd chime in with what we learned investigating Rivertown preschools earlier this year.

Most of the options are 2hrs and 50min or thereabouts. I found out the reason why, apparently a pretty significant regulatory burden kicks in at 3hrs or more per day. Example, one school director told me that for their two's program they would need to be in a room with external egress with no stairs. Their room (rented from a church) has a single stair, ergo it wouldn't pass. So if they wanted to get approval to extend their day they'd need to find another space.

Some of the programs get around this by co-locating with other programs. One school has a 2hr50m day but then you can separately sign up your kid to be brought upstairs to an art program with a 1.5hr schedule. The latter is run by a different person so they get away with it.

Apparently, these regulations are NY State but the city has an exemption.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 16,546 times
thank you so much for the information - will definitely consider all options!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 27,387 times
Default PreSchool/Daycare flexible options

Happy Harbor closed about a year ago. They were on the Yonkers/Hastings border. The child care council of westchester in scarsdale is a great resource for not only options on licensed locations but the differences between them. Try calling them if you're still looking. Also, try Early Einstein Learning Center. A home based center where the first floor is the center. They do newsletters, have a website for parents only and are educated in Early Childhood Development. Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,527 times
You should look into the Goddard School - it's right in Hastings and I have heard good things. There is also Bright Horizons in Yonkers, that is only a short drive away, and has a good reputation. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County