U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 PM

11 posts, read 102,468 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving to the Avalon apartment (Huguenot Street) in New Rochelle, which is near the train station.

I have heard that the northern part of New Rochelle is real nice, but the downtown area, which includes the Avalon apartment, is not safe and very sketchy.

New Roc City, for example, has a list of warnings on their web site (New Roc City - IMPORTANT MESSAGE) because of safety concerns.

I was wondering, how safe is downtown New Rochelle, especially the area around Huguenot Street and the train station?

Thank You
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 33,795 times
Did you get any reply to this as I am planning to move to New Rochelle and would like more information. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 102,468 times
I am still waiting - If anyone has any insight on the safety of New Rochelle, we would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 PM

142 posts, read 892,786 times
There has recently been problems- I believe with gangs in New Roc City and on Main Street. There is an increased police presence now- in downtown New Rochelle. There are many beautiful, wealthy areas in New Rochelle- that border Scarsdale, Eastchester, and Larchmont.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:13 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,486,998 times
New Rochelle is generally pretty safe, but as of late has been seeing outbreaks of small scale violence and mayhem. This latest problem follows the small riot that took place in New Rochelle during Easter.

In all honesty I think that perhaps New Rochelle is not ready for prime time. For the same ammount of rent you can live in White Plains, which to my knowledge, does not have any serious crime or gang problems as does New Rochelle.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 100,624 times
Default Yup, very big crime problem

Yup - New Rochelle has a safety problem. My wife and I moved to Tuckahoe in Eastchester from the midwest 6 months ago with our 2 1/2 year-old son. Tuckahoe is a great, safe area but the housing stock is old. We're used to living in a nicer, newer home with central air, modern ammenities, etc. That's why we FELL IN LOVE with Avalon on the Sound East and have been absolutely dying for our current lease to end so we can move into Avalon on the Sound East (the new one). There are very reasonably priced 2 and 3 BRs there that are of very high quality and much cheaper than in White Plains (a more refined city).

Here's the thing: DOWNTOWN New Rochelle has a gang and youth violence problem. It is outright dangerous. We didn't know this when we were first looking and have become sorely disappointed to learn about the goings-on there. There was a RIOT in New Roc City involving over 1,000 "youths" from the Bronx and over 280 police officers from three states and shots fired. We'd taken our toddler there, felt safe, etc. I would like to be able to go to work in Midtown knowing my family is safe. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure I could have that piece of mind in New Rochelle.

If you look at the crime statistics available on a variety of sites, it will show that New Rochelle is worse than most of Westchester County, but actually better than the national average. This is misleading. "New Rochelle" consists of downtown New Rochelle (where we're talking about living) which is an urban center with a large minority population (the youth of which often reportedly clash with each other, most recently a 60 person brawl between black and hispanic students at New Rochelle high that sent 3 to the emergency room with stab wounds and happened at 5 o'clock downtown on Main Street) and then a white picket fence suburbs that having nothing to do with downtown New Rochelle except that they're called "New Rochelle". They're more like Scarsdale, Eastchester, etc. and in fact have talked of seceeding.

So, this is why the crime stats look low. But that only means they're all the more higher in the downtown region. To be balanced, I have never felt unsafe in downtown New Rochelle and am still split on what I will do. I have driven there at night and, yeah, you see young toughs that obviously are gang members. I have seen some of that, but I'm in my car and it's not really bothering me. There's a large illegal immigrant community, though my experience has been they're frequently young families with children working and minding their own business. They aren't committing crimes. It's the 15 to 25 year olds that are the problem. I don't think they would give an adult much problem (or a woman and small child walking alone), they seem to mostly reserve their vitriol for each other.

We've been reading the headlines a lot to see if we'll be comfortable moving to New Rochelle. I won't kid you. Do a google news search. There are drive-by shootings, etc. Again, it's mostly young perpetrator on young perpetrator, but there's the danger of being caught in the crossfire. And then there is this wierd component where many in the city resent and do not like the people that live in the new developments that are helping the city. They talk about gentrification causing the city to lose its character. I like the city, but c'mon so the drive-bys slow down and more Starbucks move into the neighborhood -- is that such a bad thing?

I'm on the fence as to whether I can do it... and only from a safety perspective. The reason that you can get a brand new 3 BR in a new skyscraper for $2,350/mo (as opposed to a comparable building in White Plains for $4,800 or a piece-of-crap 1920s era flat in placid Tuckahoe for $2,200) is because not enough people are convinced just yet to pull the trigger due to safety.

I think I'll do it, though, just because I am dying to move to a nice place I can afford and I can rationalize the lessened safety for my family by saying:

1) the building itself is very safe. Nothing will happen to you in the residence (I'm talking "on the Sound East" here, not "on the Sound", which I've heard differently about due to more apartments required to be reserved for low-income and mental health patients).

2) it seems -- riots such as the one a couple weeks ago on main street at 5pm -- the majority of violence is at night and my family can avoid it by staying indoors.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 43,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckahoer View Post
Here's the thing: DOWNTOWN New Rochelle has a gang and youth violence problem. It is outright dangerous. We didn't know this when we were first looking and have become sorely disappointed to learn about the goings-on there. There was a RIOT in New Roc City involving over 1,000 "youths" from the Bronx and over 280 police officers from three states and shots fired. We'd taken our toddler there, felt safe, etc. I would like to be able to go to work in Midtown knowing my family is safe. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure I could have that piece of mind in New Rochelle.

If you look at the crime statistics available on a variety of sites, it will show that New Rochelle is worse than most of Westchester County, but actually better than the national average. This is misleading. "New Rochelle" consists of downtown New Rochelle (where we're talking about living) which is an urban center with a large minority population (the youth of which often reportedly clash with each other, most recently a 60 person brawl between black and hispanic students at New Rochelle high that sent 3 to the emergency room with stab wounds and happened at 5 o'clock downtown on Main Street) and then a white picket fence suburbs that having nothing to do with downtown New Rochelle except that they're called "New Rochelle". They're more like Scarsdale, Eastchester, etc. and in fact have talked of seceeding.

So, this is why the crime stats look low. But that only means they're all the more higher in the downtown region. To be balanced, I have never felt unsafe in downtown New Rochelle and am still split on what I will do. I have driven there at night and, yeah, you see young toughs that obviously are gang members. I have seen some of that, but I'm in my car and it's not really bothering me. There's a large illegal immigrant community, though my experience has been they're frequently young families with children working and minding their own business.

We've been reading the headlines a lot to see if we'll be comfortable moving to New Rochelle. I won't kid you. Do a google news search. There are drive-by shootings, etc. Again, it's mostly young perpetrator on young perpetrator, but there's the danger of being caught in the crossfire. And then there is this wierd component where many in the city resent and do not like the people that live in the new developments that are helping the city. They talk about gentrification causing the city to lose its character. I like the city, but c'mon so the drive-bys slow down and more Starbucks move into the neighborhood -- is that such a bad thing?

2) it seems -- riots such as the one a couple weeks ago on main street at 5pm -- the majority of violence is at night and my family can avoid it by staying indoors.

ok what are you talking about......??? I live in New Rochelle and that has got to be the biggest load of bullshyt i have ever heard !!! lol cmon now !! you're joking right !?? i guess for mid westerners that come from the safest areas in the US where its rarely mixed crowds and live in their own little bubble, you can call it safe and its quite understandable to have this kind of view from the american mindset that is sheltered from the realities in this world. I mean i been living in the westchester county area for over 13 YEARS now and i'm originally from France and to be quite honest with you i have rarely seen any criminality going on around here, westchester county is one of the safest areas in the United States. And for your information you got it wrong the worst place in westchester is not New Ro but rather Yonkers (at night) and parts of mount vernon So ok there was a huge riot that happened months ago at new roc i was actually on the train to the city when it happened!! but yea that was the only major riot..... i don't want to put you on the spot here but it seems that i'm just going to have to. After hearing what you said i find the things you mentioned quite extreme!! i think its also unfortunate that many people in the US live in fear and then wonder why they do, when for the most part they rely on the mainstream media and news channels to tell them the lies and keep on spewing out their PROPAGANDA... yes people have a fear of gangs,violence but the reality is that you can never be 100% safe ...these things are all over the world i'm sorry to break it to you but thats just a fact! and even in France the city area at night gets real shady im actually more worried there at night then i am here in westchester....

One thing that gets me angry about Westchester is that there are cops every where, and more so in the new ro area, i almost feel violated!..... its sad to say but really we are living in a POLICE STATE it feels like your being watched 24/7....

PS

1)So sammie dawg trust me the area for the most part in new rochelle is rather safe nothing to worry about just don't wonder off at night at the run down project areas thats about it.
2) to tuckahoer i hate to say it but how could you claim to have seen young tough gangsters?? so all black and latino people wearin hip hop clothing are thugs and gangsters is that wat your saying? i find that so stereotypical .....

Last edited by ImmortalTech85; 10-26-2007 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-26-2007, 06:00 PM

11 posts, read 100,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalTech85 View Post
ok what are you talking about......??? I live in New Rochelle and that has got to be the biggest load of bullshyt i have ever heard !!! lol cmon now !! you're joking right !?? i guess for mid westerners that come from the safest areas in the US where its rarely mixed crowds and live in their own little bubble, you can call it safe and its quite understandable to have this kind of view from the american mindset that is sheltered from the realities in this world. I mean i been living in the westchester county area for over 13 YEARS now and i'm originally from France and to be quite honest with you i have rarely seen any criminality going on around here, westchester county is one of the safest areas in the United States. And for your information you got it wrong the worst place in westchester is not New Ro but rather Yonkers (at night) and parts of mount vernon So ok there was a huge riot that happened months ago at new roc i was actually on the train to the city when it happened!! but yea that was the only major riot..... i don't want to put you on the spot here but it seems that i'm just going to have to. After hearing what you said i find the things you mentioned quite extreme!! i think its also unfortunate that many people in the US live in fear and then wonder why they do, when for the most part they rely on the mainstream media and news channels to tell them the lies and keep on spewing out their PROPAGANDA... yes people have a fear of gangs,violence but the reality is that you can never be 100% safe ...these things are all over the world i'm sorry to break it to you but thats just a fact! and even in France the city area at night gets real shady im actually more worried there at night then i am here in westchester....

One thing that gets me angry about Westchester is that there are cops every where, and more so in the new ro area, i almost feel violated!..... its sad to say but really we are living in a POLICE STATE it feels like your being watched 24/7....

PS

1)So sammie dawg trust me the area for the most part in new rochelle is rather safe nothing to worry about just don't wonder off at night at the run down project areas thats about it.
2) to tuckahoer i hate to say it but how could you claim to have seen young tough gangsters?? so all black and latino people wearin hip hop clothing are thugs and gangsters is that wat your saying? i find that so stereotypical .....

Hey, ImmortalTech85, trust me, I'd love for nothing better than to be proven wrong. Thanks for your post. Sure, it's not like Paris in 2006 or anything. Cars aren't torched on a daily basis. I didn't mean to say it was the End of Days in New Rochelle or anything like that. If you detect desperation and exhasperation in my tone, it's only because I like New Rochelle and thought it would be perfect, only to find out that there is this counterbalancing aspect of a violence problem. And I'm cognizant of the crime statistics showing crime in NR to be below the national average. I did raise that, I believe. However, isn't it a valid point that that cannot be extrapolated to say that crime in downtown New Rochelle is below the national average or even necessarily safe? Certainly it is less safe than the northern part of the city, right? Also, I'm not the only one to have reservations about moving there. Elsewhere on this forum, many have described it as "dangerous" and "seedy", especially at night. It has a reputation on this board as being "not recommended" and inquirers are often told to rule it out and focus on White Plains and elsewhere. I may buck this and move to NR yet. I am willing to write off the New Roc riot as a (hopefully) one time event. Nevertheless, it made regional coverage and was a large-scale-event (just look at news stories of the time). Also, while I haven't re-read my post, I'm pretty sure I didn't say the worst place in Westchester was NR. Not at all, and I understand crime is higher in Yonkers and elsewhere. As for Americans living in a bubble and not being aware of the world, I'm not really sure about that. It's not like it's a peaceful dreamland over here. As far as the midwest being peaceful and idyllic, I'm from Detroit. But your point is taken, NR is not horribly unsafe compared to the rest of the country. The thing is, people on this board are not going to compare it to Laredo, Texas; Gary, Indiana; Detroit, Michigan; New Orleans, Louisiana; or Baltimore, Maryland... they're going to compare it to Scarsdale, Bronxville, Tuckahoe, White Plains, Larchmont, Pelham, Rye, etc. because these are the choices that people who work in Midtown are faced with. When deciding where to live within Westchester County, relative crime is a factor. As for young toughs at night, I did not mean to be stereotypical... definitely not my intention. However, it really is not difficult to spot gangmembers.

I wonder, too, what you dislike about having police officers around. They are there to keep the peace and law abiding citizens don't have a reason to fear them. Actually I find them very reassuring. Sure, their presence suggests they are needed, which is not great. But, given they're needed, aren't you glad they're there.

Your points are taken and I appreciate the anecdotal evidence (having only rarely seen criminality in 13 years). The incident at New Roc is going to raise eyebrows, though. Even as I was willing to write it off as a one-off (and this doesn't compare in scale) there does appear to have been another large-scale melee downtown. This time it was on Main Street. It was New Rochelle residents, not from outside the city, and it reportedly involved 60 individuals, said to be young gang members.

This editorial brings into question the progress in NR absent dealing with youth violence and gangs:

Homegrown trouble in New Rochelle

(Original publication: October 18, 2007)

After the Easter Sunday melee at New Roc City, police herded crowds of teenagers onto New York City-bound Metro North trains and New Rochelle officials quickly assured residents that the troublemakers were from out of town. Then the owners of New Roc City stepped up and said a change of rules and a new mix of businesses at the entertainment complex would fix the problem, one that they were reluctant even to name - teen violence. They ended up passing out lots of free movie passes to nervous downtown residents.

Focused on all the promise that planned new downtown developments offer, the city leaders seemed to believe that the biggest obstacle to New Rochelle revitalization was a tarnished image, something that savvy public relations and a new commercial strategy could fix.

The ugly brawl on Main Street Tuesday afternoon should make clear that "p.r." and different commerce will not be enough.

Sometime after school let out, two groups of New Rochelle High School students - one witness said as many as 60 teenagers were involved - went after each other in broad daylight in the heart of the of city's downtown. A couple of youths with knives were arrested. A few had bleeding wounds and were taken to the hospital. The marauding crowd stopped traffic on Main and Division streets, smashed a store's windows and frightened innocent bystanders. Not much different from what happened Easter Sunday, when outsiders were blamed.

None of the injuries was life-threatening - a welcome grace. Ominously, though, none of the victims would cooperate with the investigation - one of the hallmark's of gang violence, and of a fractured community. Students told reporters afterward that there have been tensions between black and Latino students; groups of both were involved in the conflict.
Uncomfortable facts

Clearly, the latest melee leaves New Rochelle students and their parents, school officials, community leaders, politicians and business leaders with some uncomfortable facts. As impressive as the city's recent economic gains have been, the youth are not keeping up. What's driving the violence? Is there a conversation that only young people have been privy to? What needs to happen to make it stop? Before someone gets killed.

All the skyscrapers and skyscrapers to come - just the other day developers Donald Trump and Louis Cappelli were celebrating the gilded age - won't draw new residents, new retailers, or new hope if the city's youth keep settling scores on Main Street, with knives and worse. When asked about the melee, Mayor Noam Bramson early yesterday repeated a hopeful statistic: New Rochelle is the fourth-safest in the nation among 17 cities of equivalent size. Maybe so, but it feels like we just dodged a bullet. Let the conversation begin now and in earnest.
A Journal News editorial

Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,486,998 times
Whoa there Frenchie, you need to chill out. I think Tuckahoer gave a very evenhanded review of New Rochelle. He says he's planning on moving there after all.

Now whats up with trying to trash someone from the Midwest? Sure that might go down in Brooklyn/Queens, but we're talking about Westchester here. Furthermore you've got 2 strikes against you: 1) you're a foreigner, 2) you're from France. So you can't go talking shi*t like that. Its completely unacceptable. I suggest you go back to eating coq au vin or drinking wine or something.

Finally, whats up with trashing Yonkers? Yonkers has the same basic dynamic as New Rochelle although in a more blue collar fashion.

Downtown Yonkers is mostly gritty, poor, and rundown (although they are building up a new luxury development like in White Plains and New Rochelle, so it might get cleaned up in the future). However the vast majority of neighborhoods in Yonkers are nice middle-class places to live. These parts of suburban Yonkers are affordable and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalTech85 View Post

PS

Old 10-31-2007, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 30,247 times
I have lived in New Rochelle for 23 Years and I must say that some of the safety concerns raised here are exaggerated. It is very true that there was a "riot" recently at New Roc City, however the participants were from out of town (the Bronx) and had been refused admission to the NY car show in Manhattan and subsequently boarded trains into New Rochelle. Since then, security measures have been tightened at the entertainment complex and those under the age of 18 are not admitted without a parent. I am not saying that New Rochelle is perfect and free of crime, however is not nearly as bad as some people posting here make it seem. I actually live in walking distance of the Avalon and feel very safe as a young woman. In addition, this post is the first I am hearing of a gang problem. Plainly said, New Rochelle is a safe city with good schools and the convienience of a short communte into NYC.

Oh, and I also lived in Yonkers (my car was broken into 3 times) and while there are some nice areas of Yonkers, that city does have a high prevelance of gangs, violent crime, and horrible schools. With that said this could be attributed to it being a large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County