Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:40 PM

15 posts, read 53,263 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am contemplating a job in NYC and have been looking at diferent towns in Westchester. Many look wonderful, but there are so many that I need the help of those who are more familiar with the area first hand.

I am looking for a 2,000 sq ft house for about $650k, a train ride under 45 minutes, very good PUBLIC schools (preferably with a gifted and talented program as that is what our children are in now) and a quiet environment. We do not care about restaurants or shows or any of that. I want peace and quiet when I am home.

To give you some idea of what we like, Tarytown seems about perfect except for the schools are worrisome. I do not want to pay for private school for 3 children.

Any direction yo can offer is appreciated. The priority is the quality of the public elementary schools.

Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 PM

12 posts, read 33,499 times
With your criteria, I would look into Eastchester, Scarsdale, Tuckahoe or White Plains.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the tip. I am a bit confused. New Rochelle is in the Eastchester area, but is an area that others warn against. I don't know the area, but have the feling that in the Bornxville, eastchester area that there are some rough parts.

Are there any particular neighborhoods that are better? Would I gain any advantage by going further north? I would be willing to add to my commute to get a bit less population density.

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,170,617 times
When you say you want "quiet" what exactly does that mean? To me that means country. In which case I would suggest Croton. Excellent schools, 45 minute commute, good restaurants, close to many cultural venues, but very quiet and calm and surrounded by beautiful countryside. I'd also look 10 minutes from Croton in southern Yorktown--also excellent schools, restaurants, etc, and lots of beautiful quiet areas. The area has a great balance of urban amenities and the best of life in the country. And you can probably find a house for 650K.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,220,590 times
Bronxville and Eastchester have no rough parts. And the rough parts of New Rochelle are isolated to a few areas.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,327,562 times
Yeah Bronxville is one of the richest towns in NY. There is no rough section to Bronxville or even that borders Bronxville. If you drive south 10-15 minutes from Bronxville into the lower part of Mount Vernon or the Bronx then it becomes sketchy.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 AM

By "quiet" I mean that I prefer a population density around that of Tarytown. I also mean that I don''t want a tract house in a sea of other ietical tract houses, all jammed together.

I am coming from Denver, Colorado and am used to always getting a parking space close to the store and rarely ever have to stan in a line. Just looking at teh Westchester map, I can see that the towns on the northwest of Westchester don't have dense street grids. Looking at those to the east, they seem to be pretty densely populated. But of course, I am trying to infer from a map what it looks like on the ground.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 AM

DMA1250, Which Croton do you mean? Croton-on-Hudson? Croton Falls? Crotoville? Someone got a little "Croton happy" whilst naming the towns of westcheter.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curioti View Post
DMA1250, Which Croton do you mean? Croton-on-Hudson? Croton Falls? Crotoville? Someone got a little "Croton happy" whilst naming the towns of westcheter.
I mean Croton-on-Hudson, which is commonly refered to as Croton in these parts.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curioti View Post
By "quiet" I mean that I prefer a population density around that of Tarytown. I also mean that I don''t want a tract house in a sea of other ietical tract houses, all jammed together.

I am coming from Denver, Colorado and am used to always getting a parking space close to the store and rarely ever have to stan in a line. Just looking at teh Westchester map, I can see that the towns on the northwest of Westchester don't have dense street grids. Looking at those to the east, they seem to be pretty densely populated. But of course, I am trying to infer from a map what it looks like on the ground.
Given that explanation, I definitely think you should look into Croton-on Hudson and southern Yorktown Heights. The village of Croton is mildly dense in a village-y manner and the areas around it are far less dense. In southern Yorktown most properties range from 2 to 5 acres. So you can get either a village-environment or a more rural one, depending on what you want. You'll find a large range of housing types, from 1970's contemporaries to 1920's cottages and Tudors to 19th and 18th century farmhouses. Check out the blog I constantly mention (but am not alowed to link to) northern westchester home on blogspot.com for some info on the area.

Bronxville etc is a very different environment. It's much more "old suburb" and is more dense. There are many lovely places in Westchester, so it really depends on what you're after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County