U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 14,340 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Pound Ridge. Do you or any friends live there and if so, how do you like living in the town? Do you feel that there are sufficient social outlets for kids? Do you like the schools? We heard that Ridgefield, CT might be a better place to raise kids, but haven't yet visited. Are the schools there just as good? We like the idea of having a lot of nature outside our front door, but don't want our kids to feel too isolated and want to make sure they have opportunities to meet other kids in town. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM

7,049 posts, read 10,174,804 times
Are you going to stay at home and can you drive a car? If you can then raising kids in PR shouldn't be any different from raising kids in CT.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM

We work from home and have a car. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM

78 posts, read 164,292 times
I would prefer Ridgefield, as there is both access to nature and a wonderful downtown. Pound Ridge is great, but there's kind of "no there there". But that's just personal opinion, and I'm sure both have plentiful activities for kids. Both school systems have excellent reputations. We have some family in Ridgefield, and there is a farm and then a nature area behind their acreage - beautiful and bucolic access to nature compared with Southern Westchester, that is for sure! It is truly beautiful.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM

2,478 posts, read 5,734,755 times
I've lived in PR for 20+ years and both my kids were raised here. I wouldn't live anywhere else. School life is very similar to Ridgefield (where my wife has worked for 10+ years) and PRES is terrific. Obviously Ridgefield has a real downtown area, PR has very little. OTOH, Ridgefield is more buttoned-down, straighter if you will. In fact all the Fairfield CT towns have a certain Stepford aspect to them. Not so Pound Ridge which has long been a haven for show types, artists and .alt types of all kinds (except poor ones). PR ends up being quirkier and more interesting than the surrounding towns IMHO. Also bigger lot zoning so more spread out and private. If it's nature, quiet and an interesting mix, then PR is for you.

See this old post: Pound Ridge info

Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM

78 posts, read 164,292 times
Yes, I should answer your question a little more directly. Pound Ridge, from what I've heard and consistent with what Kletter1mann said, is an excellent place to raise kids. Personally I need the downtown too, but many others don't. And I don't know either town well enough to comment on the character of residents, but sounds like Kletter1mann has some good insight!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks for your helpful responses! We are musicians by profession, so it sounds as though we would fit in well with the professional artist set in PR.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominland View Post
Thanks for your helpful responses! We are musicians by profession, so it sounds as though we would fit in well with the professional artist set in PR.
If you're musicians PR will be much better fit than Ridgefield. Bedford, New Canaan, Ridgefield etc are skewed much more towards bankers, lawyers, financiers etc. They exist in PR, sure, but PR also has a large creative element that they don't. Examples: 1 of my neighbors is a professional artist, another is a high-design kind of guy and another is an exec at a conservation organization. You'll love it.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:52 PM

76 posts, read 182,875 times
Default Moving from LI to Ridgefield

Looking to move from LI to Ridgefield CT. My 9 year old daughter is excited about the move, my 12 year old son is scared, and sad. Please help and advise what we can do to help him. He is plays baseball and skies (if that helps). Also are there any groups that we can join for new comers?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1969 View Post
Looking to move from LI to Ridgefield CT. My 9 year old daughter is excited about the move, my 12 year old son is scared, and sad. Please help and advise what we can do to help him. He is plays baseball and skies (if that helps). Also are there any groups that we can join for new comers?
There are certainly web resources on the psychological aspects of moving, but unfortunately this board isn't really one of them. If you're moving to Ridgefield suggest you post on the Fairfield CT board. I'm sure somebody there can comment on Ridgefield clubs, school activities etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County