U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM

16 posts, read 41,688 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Yes, another post on where to move to in Westchester County!

I have been lurking on the boards for some time, gathering all your recommendations and comparing them to more research on the internet but I think I am more confused now than ever at this point!

My fiance and I are getting married this year. We own a condo in Astoria, Queens and realize we are outgrowing this home. The idea is to sell our condo and move to an area than can give us more for our money. We both work in Midtown and need a decent commute into the city (45 min). We plan to start a family soon as well, so an area with decent schools. And most importantly, good property value and low property tax area. Our budget max $550 - $650k (and I am sure we will need to put in work on a home).

I am born & raised in CT, my hubby-to-be born & raised in Queens. I love tree lines streets and cute little towns with great restaurants and entertainment, along with parks. He is a true city boy and this idea of moving to "the sticks" freaks him out but he has come to realize he will not get the Man Cave he so desires in our town since we can't even afford an attached 1 family home (very few single detached home in our area, and if they are on the market, easily 1M++)

Westchester came into mind since we know a few people who have moved here but this is where things get tricky. Areas we initially liked quickly became crossed off our list.

Yonkers - can be affordable, however, shady areas, not the best schools, additional city taxes (on top of state & federal)
Pelham - great commute, great schools, ridiculously expensive, along with high property taxes
Along with Mamaroneck, Larchmont and Rye for being outside our budget and high property taxes

So what options do we have?
Hartsdale (specifically poets corner), Dobbs Ferry, Rye Neck, and Eastchester keep popping up in threads. But I am unsure how we will fit in any of these neighborhoods since we both have no clue about them.

Any insight on these areas or others I didn't mention but that could possible work for us would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM

218 posts, read 546,015 times
The Highlands neighborhood in White Plains meets much of your criteria: commute, price range, tree lined street, not the sticks. White Plains schools scare some people off, but lower test scores come with larger cities. And in the grand scheme of things, I think the schools are well above average. WP is also much more diverse than most of Westchester and (sorry to say) I think that's what a lot of folks are really getting at when they talk about the schools. Redfin allows you to search by neighborhood, and here's the link for the Highlands Highlands Real Estate & Highlands White Plains Homes for Sale | Redfin

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

345 posts, read 662,783 times
I was also going to recommend you look at White Plains. You can find something in your price range that has nice tree lined streets but is also only 35 minutes train ride to GCT and certainly not the sticks. There is also shopping, nightlife, restaurants and also very central if you want to drive to other nearby towns for dinner, etc. As for the schools, I've always been saying that they are underrated. Like Tommy said, it is a (small) city district and not for everyone. When it gets nice out you should take a drive around some of the different neighborhoods and get a feel for the place.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:28 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,691,247 times
White Plains is also the best tax situation in Westchester County, owing to the large commercial sector in the city. The schools are better than Yonkers, however, so if you were considering Yonkers, I would give White Plains a look.

With many areas in Westchester, the key to minimizing commute time is obtaining a parking spot at a train station. Eastchester is off the train, for the most part, when discussing the hamlet, i.e., not the incorporated villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe that are within the town. As such, parking can be a hassle at Harlem Line train stations. I would give Tuckahoe a look as well, since it's convenient, a small-ish village, and has easy train access. Your fiancé would definitely not feel as though he was lost in the country in Tuckahoe.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM

71 posts, read 217,020 times
Hi - My husband and I moved to the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck in September 2011 from the city and we love it. We had the same budget as you, and the same criteria. We also both work in Midtown East, and we really don't think the commute is too bad - and this is coming from people who both walked to work for 7 years!! We also do not have kids, but are thinking about starting a family.
Mamaroneck is a nice town with a ton of restaurants, a few bars and a llively downtown area with 2 wonderful Italian bakeries, a gelato shop, a Hispanic ice cream parlor, at least 3 Italian shops where you can purchase fresh pasta, bread, etc.
There are also a lot of commuity activites throughout the year - this weekend there is a St. Pat's Day parade, and in the summer they close down the main street once a month for block parties.
My best advice to you - take Metro North up to the towns you are thinking about one a nice weekend day and explore - walk around the town, check out the restaurants, the people, the flyers in the windows to see if it is a place you want to live. from there, check out the listings in the towns that you like.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM

16 posts, read 41,688 times
Thank you all so much for your help today! You have given me a lot to think about (and more new stuff to research!). I definitely feel it is time we hop on the train and take a look at these towns you recommended. Little by little I will wean my city boy into greener pastures!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF30 View Post
Hi - My husband and I moved to the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck in September 2011 from the city and we love it. We had the same budget as you, and the same criteria. We also both work in Midtown East, and we really don't think the commute is too bad - and this is coming from people who both walked to work for 7 years!! We also do not have kids, but are thinking about starting a family.
Mamaroneck is a nice town with a ton of restaurants, a few bars and a llively downtown area with 2 wonderful Italian bakeries, a gelato shop, a Hispanic ice cream parlor, at least 3 Italian shops where you can purchase fresh pasta, bread, etc.
There are also a lot of commuity activites throughout the year - this weekend there is a St. Pat's Day parade, and in the summer they close down the main street once a month for block parties.
My best advice to you - take Metro North up to the towns you are thinking about one a nice weekend day and explore - walk around the town, check out the restaurants, the people, the flyers in the windows to see if it is a place you want to live. from there, check out the listings in the towns that you like.
The Butcher's store is good too. As is the new library, and the park on the harbor.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM

186 posts, read 381,961 times
Mamaroneck has so much to offer for your criteria! the border part of Mamaroneck called Rye Neck is small but convenient and has good schools I had a house there on a small street and it was convenient to everything. Following what others said about White plains is true, but sometimes it is easier to find a perfect match NEXT to White plains - that way you still have all of the 'City" conveniences but you are not right in it. Try the Silver Lake area of Harrison&Valhalla, both have good schools, and you can walk to White Plains from Silver Lake (actually its called West Harrison) Look up some of the areas on Realtor.com and then look at a few houses with a realtor to get an idea.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 22,862 times
Hartsdale fits alot of what you said, it has a quick commute to grand central at 35 minutes - you can look at country club ridge they have garden style apartments but its all coops not sure if thats what you are looking for. There are also single family houses around the area as well that would fit your budget. The town is next door to scarsdale and the demographics are good. Look into it.

If you wikipedia different towns you will learn alot about them

Old 03-16-2013, 12:17 PM

2,405 posts, read 5,627,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
White Plains is also the best tax situation in Westchester County, owing to the large commercial sector in the city. The schools are better than Yonkers, however, so if you were considering Yonkers, I would give White Plains a look.

With many areas in Westchester, the key to minimizing commute time is obtaining a parking spot at a train station. Eastchester is off the train, for the most part, when discussing the hamlet, i.e., not the incorporated villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe that are within the town. As such, parking can be a hassle at Harlem Line train stations. I would give Tuckahoe a look as well, since it's convenient, a small-ish village, and has easy train access. Your fiancé would definitely not feel as though he was lost in the country in Tuckahoe.
Eastchester is not "off the train." It is convenient to both the Scarsdale and Crestwood train stations, and has its own commuter parking lot behind Garth Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County