Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 AM

866 posts, read 2,483,283 times

Advertisements

Can any school district be considered excellent if they are teaching creationism???
http://m.motherjones.com/blue-marble...ch-creationism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM

454 posts, read 763,134 times
They don't teach creationism. That's a joke down here.

It is also a socially liberal place. Much less racism than NY, and most people are very live-and-let-live. People love to define Texas as some super-conservative right-wing area, but I have never found it to be the least bit true.

This is funny; my kids elementary school principal was the most wonderful, loving, best principal around, and everyone loved her. She was also a motorcycle-riding lesbian, looked butchy, but every child and parent adored her. I never heard 1 comment about her alternative lifestyle.

That's more like Texas.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:52 PM

454 posts, read 763,134 times
One more thing...when I lived in New York (Westchester)if a black family moved anywhere near our neighborhood, there would be panic in the streets-neighbor calling neighbor, lots of hand-wringing. When the house next door to us was up for sale, the realtor came to our house to assure us he would sell to the 'right kind of people...'

In Texas, I had a black family on my block and I didn't even realize it until they were there for 2 years! Not one word! It was astounding to me after living in NY.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Agree. There are far too many southern locations that are progressive, show job growth and have much to offer for young families. If creationism were that widespread then Wholefoods, Dell, Intel and IBM wouldn't have located offices in Travis County.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,010 times
The Texas State Board of Education has near-total control over the state curriculum and the materials that are used throughout the state. As in all states, the state board of ed has controlled the state curriculum (and Texas is one of the handful of states that refused to accept the new Common Core State Standards). Unlike states such as NY, Texas has what's called a state adoption process for purchasing school materials; every few years districts are given a certain amount of money which they have to spend on buying new materials and programs. Districts are only allowed to select from 2 or 3 programs that are "adopted" or approved by the state board of education. So the state board of ed gets to pick the materials that are used in every district in Texas. And the state board of ed is indeed controlled by conservatives who try to impose a radical cultural and political perspective. In order to have materials approved by Texas, publishers are forced to remove any and all hints of evolution from their programs. Even first or second grade reading selections about dinosaurs have to be edited to water down any possible hint that the earth is really old or that there might be evolution. The people who control the Texas board of ed are the same types as the Texas GOP who tried to make outlawing critical thinking part of the party's education platform last year:

Texas GOP rejects ‘critical thinking’ skills. Really. - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Texas is huge and I'm sure has many great, progressive areas--and I've heard that Austin is one of them. I am sure there are many great schools who do their very best to work around the state-approved curriculum and materials. Any good teacher picks and chooses from the materials he or she is given, and I'm sure lots of Texas teachers manage to add back what the state has taken out. Fortunately for the rest of us, publishers create materials just for Texas so the rest of the country doesn't have to suffer.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:41 PM

You cannot tell me that Texas is a "socially liberal place". That's a joke right? You might live in a great neighborhood with a lesbian school principal, but don't tell me that on the whole Texas is socially liberal. Wow. Who elected that state government then???????

And dma, that link is awesome. Stephen Colbert's clip is hysterical. It's just one reason why, when presented with an opportunity in Texas, we said no thanks.

Last edited by streetsmart; 03-17-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM

287 posts, read 593,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
You cannot tell me that Texas is a "socially liberal place". That's a joke right? You might live in a great neighborhood with a lesbian school principal, but don't tell me that on the whole Texas is socially liberal. Wow. Who elected that state government then???????

And dma, that link is awesome. Stephen Colbert's clip is hysterical. It's just one reason why, when presented with an opportunity in Texas, we said no thanks.

Streetsmart is your typical arrogant Liberal.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You would be better to post in your targeted locations for feedback from other ex-pat NYers. Most on the NY boards will brand you a traitor for even dreaming of having some kind of life. Good luck in what you decide and you might want to consider adding Virginia (not Northern VA) to the list...
What an ignorant comment.

It makes more sense to post in the other areas forums because people in those areas will have a better feel for what it is like to live there than people in NY....not because everyone who lives in NY and doesn't plan/want to leave is close-minded to people who move elsewhere.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 03-17-2013 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Streetsmart is your typical arrogant Liberal.
Why am I arrogant? Because I believe in evolution and that it should be taught in schools? Because I don't want to live in a state and send my children to school where corporal punishment is still used???

Yeah, you got me.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM

287 posts, read 593,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Why am I arrogant? Because I believe in evolution and that it should be taught in schools? Because I don't want to live in a state and send my children to school where corporal punishment is still used???

Yeah, you got me.

Just your overrall nasty aggressiveness towards others' posts. It makes me laugh that you think you know better than others. I'll pray for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County