U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I have been reading these forums for quite some time now and am more than excited to finally be participating. My husband and I were recently married and are in our mid20s. Both born in raised in NY and currently reside in Westchester. Embarking on this new part in our lives we are left with alot of questions. Seems so easy to move in, get married, work, buy a house, have kids. And we are all for that but are also wondering if we want to do that in NY. My husband works in the electrical engineering field while I have my degree in Education. Right now we live very hand to mouth. In some ways we choose to live this way because we choose to save. So we often decline nights out and trips to AC. We show up for the big things but week to week live below our means. With that being said, its not easy to do this. We are constantly reevaluating how to better ourselves because IT IS HARD. NY, esp lower westchester, is damn expensive. We rent. And are in no shape or position in the anywhere near future to buy. Seems it is an uphill battle paying an obscene amount just to rent. We have large amounts of student loan debt, Im talking 100K+. Not pretty. SO thats where we are at now in our NY life.

We have started researching relocation and have narrowed it down to the following states. TX, specifically San Antonio (seems to have most job opportunity for us both than other tx cities), NC, and FL. Pluses to NC and FL are closer proximity to NY if God forbid we ever needed to drive home if airports were closed etc.

I find myself partial to SA from my research on cost of living. Of course the weather change and culture shock worries me alittle but I do feel like we re flexible and would never do this big of a move without being confident in our decision. I mention that because I know people that relocate for price/lifestyle change but then live in the oh thats not how we do it in NY thing. If we relocate I know we will give it a 100%.

Questions. Do you recommend renting in the city of SA (or wherever we choose) or rent alittle less in the city, maybe a close suburb? How are school districts? Being an educator I am mostly curious about the private vs public trends? Weather and how that influences weekend excursions (here snow equals skiing adventures, what does that weather offer we are adventure types? Social circles, has anyone moved from NYC to TX and had a hard/easy time meeting new friends? What were challenges? What was easier than you expected?

Just looking for feedback and pointers since we are starting this process from scratch. Its a huge bone to chew and any help/guidance is appreciated. I love NY but we are open and excited for a change! EEE nervous and curious...thanks fellow readers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM

10,772 posts, read 11,057,005 times
You would be better to post in your targeted locations for feedback from other ex-pat NYers. Most on the NY boards will brand you a traitor for even dreaming of having some kind of life. Good luck in what you decide and you might want to consider adding Virginia (not Northern VA) to the list...

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM

63,859 posts, read 89,293,259 times
^Not really. I will say that there are openings for your husband in Upstate NY, but for those in Education, it will be tougher depending on what you can do. Much of Upstate NY isn't that much different than much of the South in overall cost of living, if at all. So, if you are willing or would consider a move up here, that is something to keep in mind. Electrical Engineer jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electrical Engineer jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electrical Engineer jobs in Rochester, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electrical Engineer jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electrical Engineer jobs in Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Education jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Education jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Education jobs in Rochester, NY - Indeed Mobile

Education jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Education jobs in Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Education jobs in Utica, NY - Indeed Mobile

electrical engineering jobs in Utica, NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-13-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM

63,859 posts, read 89,293,259 times
Here is a good apartment website: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

and another: Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - - -

Here is a good real estate website: Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM

368 posts, read 545,292 times
You should probably talk to the San Antonio people about moving to San Antonio. People on this forum are those who want to move to Westchester, not leave it... I'm not sure we'd be much help! Good luck though. I loved Austin, which isn't too far away.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,045,610 times
While I'm not in the same age group as you and your husband, I am in a similar situation as I feel that while Westchester has many positive attributes, it is just too expensive for me to continue living here. The areas that you mentioned are also areas that I am considering. Another benefit to relocating to San Antonio would be that there is no state income tax in TX (the same is true in FL).

Like someone said above, though, you should really post on the boards for the areas you are considering if you want to get feedback from people in those areas about their transition from NY or other northeastern areas.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM

826 posts, read 2,121,971 times
I'll put in a vote for NC, specifically the Research Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). Tons of companies and jobs, an educated population, and a lot of younger people due to all the universities. Lived there for 2 years and we seriously considered staying (but family was up here so we came back). Pluses for the area: cheap cost of living, less culture shock for you than in other areas due to all the transplants and universities, easy airport to travel into/out of, beaches and mountains in easy driving distance, and fabulous weather (but the summers are HOT). Real winter cold is a few weeks in Dec/Jan, that was it. I had a very easy time meeting new people there.

Good luck with your decision! Definitely post on the respective boards for local insight.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM

7,051 posts, read 10,210,343 times
In terms of the economy and job market, Austin and SA have more diverse opportunities. TX also has indigenous sources of energy which should put it at an advantage for attracting businesses in the decades to come.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,992,351 times
Austin is nice. San Antonio is a pit.

I would consider NC. In a pinch you can drive back to NY in a day.

Anywhere you move you will be in shock. You aren't talking $700k for a starter home.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM

451 posts, read 604,019 times
I grew up in Westchester and moved to Dallas in 1980. You don't realize how difficult life is in NY until you move away. Texas is very free, simple, friendly, with a low cost of living. Whatever takes you 3 weeks to accomplish in NY will take about 2 days here; easier traffic, no parking meters, much less red tape attached to everything. You can call any business at any time and NEVER get anyone who sounds annoyed or testy. Most of all, there is a great difference in the people in retail stores; in Texas they are trained to be pleasant and cheerful. You have no idea how much easier it is to live when you are not irritated every 5 minutes, or waiting for someone to assist you, etc.

I have a beautiful house in an 'upscale' suburb with an excellent school district. I think my home is valued at about 225k right now. That wouldn't buy you a dog house in NY.

You will miss New York, the humor, the intelligence and the way people talk to you everywhere you go; ("..my daughter has that same purse and she loves it...") In New York conversation is entertainment-not so in Texas.

Have you looked at Dallas or Houston? They have a little more depth to them, more things to discover years after you move. Dallas has a very funky hipster side, a music scene, plenty of hoity-toity symphony concerts, opera, Dallas Art Museum, etc. San Antonio is a more of a tourist attraction; all the largest buildings are hotels. I don't know it as well as Dallas, but once you've seen the Riverwalk, well, you've seen it. It also has a high Mexican population, with Spanish being spoken everywhere.

If you are young, you can always move back. But if you stay in Texas, just save your money for flights home to visit, and to get a decent slice of pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County