Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 15,297 times

Advertisements

I am researching where my mother used to live in 1957 on Soutehrn blvd between Louis Nine blvd and Hoe ave off of Freeman St. What county is this, Throggs Neck or Eadge water, or...? Also, what types of Jewish immigrants lived there, what ethnic blend, Russian, Polish, etc? Better yet, where can I go online to search for this info? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 12:58 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,331,259 times
That area isn't Throgs Neck or Edge Water. Those neighborhoods are two of the few remaining nice neighborhoods in the Bronx.

The address you listed is in the South Bronx. I'm not too familiar with the South Bronx, but I believe that is part of Morrisania. It doesn't really matter though as that whole area is pretty ghetto at the moment. It is low income and high crime. No Jews live there any more. They all left during the 1960s. Today the South Bronx is something like 95% black or hispanic (mostly puerto rican with some dominicans). The white population in these areas is generally around 1-2%.

Lots of Jews used to live in the Bronx back in the day, along with Irish, Italians, and Germans. The Bronx was actually known as being the most Jewish of the 5 boroughs. The South Bronx actually used to be a fairly nice middle class neighborhood to live in. This all began to change in the late 1950s and early 1960s and there was a massive exodus of middle class white people from the South Bronx.

Jews in the Bronx today generally only live in the upscale neighborhood of Riverdale, which is still very nice. Thats about all I can help you out with. Maybe someone else can chime in with some more specific info.

On a side note this post should be in the NYC subforum and not in Westchester.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,981,970 times
Agreed Mead.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:55 AM

Default My query

Thank you.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,564,336 times
Here's a map of neighborhoods in the NYC Borough of the Bronx/New York State County of Bronx:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/Bx/map.gif

Many of the lower income, but stable and well maintained, Jewish neighborhoods in the south Bronx were broken up when Robert Moses built the Cross Bronx Expressway.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Thanks, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County