U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM

2,033 posts, read 2,666,756 times

Advertisements

First off, I've read many, many great posts on here. Excellent stuff.

I will be moving into the NYC area (from Louisiana) to work at Mount St Vincent College.
I have a wife and two kids (1.5 & 5 y.o.).
We do not need a big place (2 bedrooms and 1200 sq ft-ish enough; we're used to it). But we need a safe place (my wife is a big walker, during the day) preferably with safe parks for walking. It would be nice if we had a place where we could park our car.
It would be great if we could find a place that is close to an affordable and vibrant tennis community; we are both avid players.
My wife is Russian, so a place with a Russian community would be a bonus (though not a necessity).
Obviously, a kindergarten in a safe place for my five year-old would be great.

With all of that in mind, where would you suggest within a 45-minute (public transport) commute time and a (hoped) budget of $1600-1700/month? (BTW, I'll be making apprx. $70K and my wife won't work for the first while if that helps.)

How much do daycares generally charge in that area?

I have been eyeing New Rochelle and Eastchester. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM

293 posts, read 813,522 times
I can't really answer the commute question - I'm not sure if you'd be doing it by train/bus or both. If you're looking for a two bedroom apartment in Eastchester, your budget is probably be a bit too low. Look at Craigslist to see if you find anything in that range.

Daycare in Westchester can run from $15,000 to 25,000 per year - with home-based on the lower end price wise and corporate centers like Bright Horizons or Montessori programs on the high end. This site is good for info and you can search NYS licensed centers as well Child Care Council of Westchester, Finding child care, training for child care providers in Westchester County NY. Some centers offer a discount for two kids, some don't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County