U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM

41 posts, read 141,153 times

Advertisements

My DH has a new job with the opportunity to either work out of Midtown Manhattan or Washington D.C. I am thinking I would choose Westchester County if we moved to NY and Northern Virginia if he worked out of D.C. We currently have three school-aged kids in middle and high school so schools are an important consideration. Also have a 4th in college that would be coming home periodically so the house can't be too tiny. We are older parents so would love to not spend too much on housing since retirement is in the not too distant future. This will be our 5th relocation within the last 10 years so have been there done that but don't enjoy it at all. Has anyone lived in both places and can say which might offer the best quality of life under the circumstances? Salary will be the same either place, a respectable six-figure upper middle class income. I realize it will not go very far at either location but wonder where it might go furthest. I'm guessing taxes may be a big consideration. Our current home is probably worth 900K or more but might consider renting since we will not retire in either location. Thanks in advance for any insights on the two locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,107,757 times
In either place you can find neighborhoods that have good schools and neighbors that you can get along with. Just go for the job that feels like the best fit.

I like the convenience of Arlington VA though.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. Let me just clarify that the job is the same but he can choose his location. That is what is throwing me - having a choice!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,107,757 times
School taxes will probably be cheaper in NVA as districts are consolidated at the county level. In WC, there is a district for each town/village.

Total COL, I can't say.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM

I love our small schools out here in the midwest. They are set up in the same way as WC. The big difference is that our taxes are very reasonable.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM

82 posts, read 210,799 times
I'm originally from NovA, and live here in NYC now (though not in the suburbs). Unless you have a big preference for the NY area, I would pick NoVa for a suburban lifestyle (of those two choices). Taxes are much lower. Houses are cheaper. Commutes are better (for 900K, you can live in one of the close DC suburbs, which are 4-10 miles away from DC, not 20-30 as here).

I'm sure the westchester-ites on here will give you a good perspective on WC. Just seems like an easy call to me unless you either love/love/love NYC or Westchester. You'll just be much better off financially in virginia.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Thanks, varan. That is exactly the type of info I am looking for! I really don't want to move to either location because both are more expensive than where we currently live. The problem is the job doesn't exist here anymore.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 AM

71 posts, read 136,437 times
I second that. Your money will go much further in NoVa.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM

5,468 posts, read 5,344,170 times
NoVA, and it won't even be close in terms of dollars, cost per square foot, etc.

$900k, or $4,500/month rented equivalent, will get you a 1980s/1990s 4 br, 3000 sq ft home in an area like Vienna or Oakton, about 12-15 miles from DC w/excellent schools. Same price in NY will put you 30 miles out, someplace like Rye, where a $900k home will be a 1200 sq ft shack or townhouse.

If you want to be within 5-10 miles from DC, you'll get maybe 2400 square feet and 1970s/early 80s house. That would be someplace like Falls Church City or North Arlington.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM

60 posts, read 213,188 times
I live in southern Westchester now and lived in NoVa for 6 years before that. I'd move back to NoVa tomorrow if there was the right mix of work of us there. There's no contest. The weather, the cost of living, the diversity of people, NoVa has westchester beat on every count.

We have a nice set up and have made a nice niche for ourselves in westchester and I grew up here but when we moved here, our house was about the same size and age as our NoVa house but the property taxes are triple and the lot is smaller. Yes the high schools can be large in NoVa but the elementary schools are comparable in size and the larger middle and high schools mean more course offerings.

Income taxes are lower in NoVa too.

Are you commuting to DC or NoVA suburbs? If you're in DC, I'd recommend Arlington to make the commute more manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County