Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM

71 posts, read 144,030 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

We're moving to the rivertowns from Brooklyn in June. Unfortunately we'll need a new nanny (part time) as the commute from the city isn't practical for our current one.

Any suggestions on how to find one? Here we found one through word of mouth but we don't know many people there yet. We intend to talk to the director of the preschool our son will be attending next year to see if she is aware of anyone, but other than that we're not sure what to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 AM

222 posts, read 540,799 times
How much are you willing to spend? Trying to get an idea of the cost different (if any) between the city and the suburbs.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM

78 posts, read 183,280 times
Jon - are you or your wife on facebook? Many towns have a page or a "moms" page where referrals like this can be found. I have a friend in Dobbs/Irvington who mentioned there was one there. Also, if there's a small very local paper you might find ads there - in our town people will place ads for their nannies once they "age out" so to speak, and don't need them any longer. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
How much are you willing to spend? Trying to get an idea of the cost different (if any) between the city and the suburbs.

Haven't thought about it. In Brooklyn I spend over the going rate because I pay may nanny over-the-table. It seems that here the going rate assumes the nanny won't have any tax liability. I'll do the same in WC.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoWest View Post
Jon - are you or your wife on facebook? Many towns have a page or a "moms" page where referrals like this can be found. I have a friend in Dobbs/Irvington who mentioned there was one there. Also, if there's a small very local paper you might find ads there - in our town people will place ads for their nannies once they "age out" so to speak, and don't need them any longer. Good luck!
Yes, yes. Always for 'moms'. Like most of the parenting groups on Meetup are 'mom's' groups.

Being a hyper-involved dad you sometimes feel like a woman trying to have a career in the Mad Men era.

Ok, off my soapbox now....

Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look. Maybe they'll me join.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM

78 posts, read 183,280 times
jon - our town has a "dads" page too! But I know what you mean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County