Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,701 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Our little one has developmental delays all around, and needs OT/PT/Speech and Special Instructions. He has been approved for integrated/inclusion preschool. I am looking at Theracare program in West Harrison, which is in Harrison Children Center, Easter Seals in Valhalla, Jewish Community Center in Scarsdale, and John A Coleman school in White Plains. I would appreciate any input on these schools in terms of providing appropriate services, ensuring that kids are learning and working with parents. Most significantly, their approach for language delayed children. Our child is most delayed in speech area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:19 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
I would not recommend the JCC at all. The classified kids were not integrated hardly at all...even down to the fact that you have to drop off and pick up your kids a few minutes earlier than the typical ones. It felt like they were hiding those kids from the other parents. My child actually got worse there, but it could have been age/coincidence and not them. We were not there for speech, though, so I can't speak to that.

Their related services were good, they had some decent teachers and some bad ones.

I've heard good things about Easter Seals.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,701 times
Thanks, jjinla.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 AM

258 posts, read 907,989 times
I would never recommend easter seals. My children were there for a year and they were awful. Some of the teachers were good but the administration was so bad. I had so many issues there. My daughter received OT from an outside provider during the aftercare program. I spoke to the Ot periodically throughout the year. In January, the aftercare teachers told me that they have never seen her get picked up for OT and they were unaware that she even had services. The director confirmed that my daughter was not getting her services. When I spoke to my daughter, her classroom teacher and the OT provider, she picked her up twice a week but nobody noticed! They did not even notice an adult was picking up my child and taking her to a classroom to work with her. They never counted kids when they took them places to make sure everyone was there. I think the staff was good but overwhelmed. The administartation would accept kids that could not handle inclusion and did not support them the way they should so everything was chaotic.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,938 times
Hey...just wanted to check which school did you finally pick. My 2 1/2 yr old has similar delays and we are going to be moving to NYC from Chicago early next year. Trying to figure out the best place to live based on the services he can get.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 AM

258 posts, read 907,989 times
If you are in NYC, I highly recommend Central Park Early Learning on 65th and Central park West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County