U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 28,413 times

Advertisements

Could someone please offer any info about white plains? Such as cost of living, renting (homes), and how well is its school district. Thanks for any info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,458,113 times
It is a pretty good sized city, with a population about 55,000. There are a lot of large corporations in the area, like IBM and Pepsi.There is also a couple of malls in city limits. For getting around town, there are 2 metro-north train stations as well the Westchester county airport.
Because of it's close distance to NYC, White Plains,NY is very expensive to live in. Westchester county has the highest property taxes in the nation. A three bedroom home in a nice neighborhood will rent for about $2500 a month. If you want to buy a home similiar to the rental, it will cost about $550,000 with taxes being about $7200 a year.

The city publics school are excellent. The school system was ranked as one of the top 10 in the country for corporate relocation according to Expansion Management magazine.They rank in the top 3% for computer network/access for districts in the country. They offer over 400 courses from 9th to 12th graders including more than 25 honors/ ap classes.The schools have a lot of afterschool activities, ranging fromthe Irish cultural club to the human rights coalition. A quick google search will take you to the districts website if you want to know more.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 AM

7 posts, read 28,413 times
Thanks for the info! this will definitely help!!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 AM

89 posts, read 204,332 times
Mercer Human Resource Consulting...found WP as being the 43rd most expensive city in the world..........NYS has cited the WP school system for under-reporting violent incidents and lacking in special ed svs......illeagle imigration exploding which is evident in the courts, classrooms, emergency rooms and day labor sites....Single family 3 brm. in marginal neighborhood just sold for $565K taxes $7500.....City does have a good sense of community with many planned events as well as good youth programs... WP is a decent place to live by far the nicest "city" in Westchester.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:37 PM

7 posts, read 56,196 times
Default Commuting to White Plains

I have a job offer in White Plains, and want to live north of there. Anyone know good areas (good schools, no more that 30 to 40 minute commute? Is Mt. Kisco too far?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 AM

47 posts, read 266,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley View Post
I have a job offer in White Plains, and want to live north of there. Anyone know good areas (good schools, no more that 30 to 40 minute commute? Is Mt. Kisco too far?

Well if you want to go to Putnam County specifically Mahopac where I live, it takes me 25-30 minutes tops to get to White Plains. Mt. Kisco is even closer but more expensive as well as the taxes but a nice area as well. It all depends on what price range you want to be in and taxes per year then I can tell you where is the best place. Personally if you want to stay under 30-40 minutes I would choose Mahopac, that is where I do most of my work and so many of my clients are happy with the move. Prices have come down considedrably so it is a great time for a move. Mahopac is a Blue Ribbon school district and one of the major reasons people from NYC and lower Westchester move there. If you need any further help: Mike@MikeTrinch.com

Old 02-27-2007, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,827 times
Anyone from Albany, New York have any
quick numbers to help qauge residential prices?

Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,397 times
Anyone looking to rent within a year &/or eventually buy should PM me. We may be moving in the next year. Have an immaculate 2 bdr ranch, cute, on dead end street - Valhalla schools - with a phenomenal back yard with pool & woods all around. 5 minutes to downtown White Plains, but worlds away. Quiet, 1 neighbor. Landscaping to dream for, hard to leave. Probably $2300 month, $595,000 to buy.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 12,155 times
White Plains, city of the bland.They are surviving primarily on kids drinking in the bars.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM

10,632 posts, read 17,349,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley View Post
If you want to live N. of White Plains, I'd suggest Mt. Kisco. It's about a 15-20 minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County