Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM

27 posts, read 82,534 times

Advertisements

Thanks jjinla for the rye/mamaroneck/ larchmont/Scarsdale tips. When you mention the parents being annoying, I could imagine what you have in mind with the Scarsdale parents. Probably pushy and self righteous? I am curious to know how you would generalize Rye or mamaroneck parents? I know it may insult some pple reading this but if you wouldn't mind sharing, I won't judge you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
LOL, we are all annoying in our own right!

Rye is actually very pretty, but to me it's just a wee too preppy for my taste (although a lot of NY is truthfully).

Now I'm obviously extremely biased towards Larchmont/Mamaroneck, but its plus and minus is that it actually has some diversity in the district. Plus because the real world is diverse but minus because you always have people that think that our schools aren't as good as places that are more universally wealthy. I'm a freak about schools and have not been disappointed at all but my kids are still at the elementary level. Everyone that I've met here is ridiculously down to earth, even those that live in multimillion dollar houses. I don't get that same vibe in Scarsdale and Rye at all.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Yes, I like what I have seen and felt in larchmont. I also heard that the arts are valued by the larchmont schools, which I like. If I consider larchmont I have to find a home that won't flood. We got flooded here in my long island home. That is what is compelling us to move. Our house is all fixed up now but i dont want to go through a hurrican again, here. We don't want a rising water table or deal with flooding. So I won't live real close to the Sound, or in a low lying street.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
Any decent realtor will know where the flood prone areas are. There are some brooks here, too. If you do decide to search here and need a realtor PM me...ours was great both buying and selling our home and she is local.

But FWIW, we once pulled out of a home in Scarsdale that was in a high risk flood area. I guess it was on a plain, and I would never have thought about that away from water. Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm too poor to ever live right on the Sound. The flooding in Larchmont is really not a town-wide issue at all...it's fairly isolated. And our flooding is nothing like LI since we're in an inlet and relatively protected. I know people that live right on the water and only lost some shrubs during Irene and Sandy.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
FWIW, we are near-ish to the water in Mamaroneck and during Sandy we lost power (our generator wasn't hooked up yet) so our sump-pumps were not working, and our basement was completely dry. If you like the Larchmont/Mamaroneck area, find yourself a house with french drains and a sump pump, avoid flood-prone areas, and you'll be fine.

And take everything you hear about Scarsdale with a grain of salt. We met only the nicest people there. And yeah, lots of areas of Scarsdale have flooding problems so it's not just a problem by the water. You MUST do you research around here when it comes to flooding.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM

293 posts, read 886,027 times
To add to the flooding doesn't only happen on the sound comments, just keep in mind that most of the major parkways in westchester are named for rivers... The water has to go somewhere in a bad storm. When I was growing up in chappaqua, we had insane flooding in the downtown area several times. And bronxville school was basically closed for a week or so recently due to flooding.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the tips on the flooding. I really don't want to experience flooding in my new home.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:06 PM

581 posts, read 1,302,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Living in Rye and Scarsdale could not feel more different. Spend some time in both and go with what feels right. Both schools are equally rigorous but the parents are annoying in very different ways. .
How are they different?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Maybe it's because there's a Cosi in Rye.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County