U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 PM

27 posts, read 79,188 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a commutable (to midtown, NYC )home with excellent schools. We like the small size of edgemont but the taxes are crazy! Is it worth it? What if they go up another 50 percent in the next ten years. Will I be able to sell? For example, a house asking one million has 2012 taxes of 30k.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,155,460 times
Are you prioritizing schools? There are other neighborhoods with good schools where taxes are not that high.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,238,035 times
You have to understand that Edgemont is a school district and little else. It is part of Greenburgh but thinks it is part of Scarsdale. It is really neither of the two and has no downtown area. Nice houses, nice schools, but not much of anything else.

And yes, taxes are going up close to 5% everywhere a year and will continue to until they finally do something. Yes, it will kill values long term as the spread between here and everywhere else widens.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM

Thanks for replying, foresthillsdaddy. Yes, our number one priority is schools. Public school with strong programs for gifted kids. My kids are now in elementary and approaching middle school. Number two is a maximum 85 minute commute door to door to midtown manhattan. I was considering edgemont or Scarsdale or port Washington. What a your say?

Jjinla, thanks for replying, too. You are confirming my hesitation about edgemont. While I like it, I don't know about the long term value there. I don't want to be stuck with an average house with 30k taxes in five to ten years from now. I know that buying a hme is more than hedging an investment. But what gives if taxes are so exhorbitant? My future selling price.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,155,460 times
Why not look further north? I believe you might find homes in Chappaqua that don't cost $1M such that you would have to pay $30K taxes. Chappaqua has MNR express so you can make it to midtown in less than 80 minutes. I believe the solution here is to buy a cheaper house.

As for G&T - you won't find anything in the country (except Yonkers) in the same sense as NYC. But various school districts have different kids of support programs in one form or another like pull-outs, differentiated instruction etc.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM

A longer commute, but you might want to consider Greenwich CT. Not much longer than Chappaqua and they do have G&T programs. Home prices are higher but taxes are a fraction of ours.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM

I love both chappaqua and Greenwich. But, I don't want to go further north since my parents live on the south shore of long island. I don't want the drive to see them to be an ordeal. I would expect to see them once in two to three weeks.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM

6,159 posts, read 7,019,657 times
Why not Rye? Also going north along the train lines, might be not so bad. If you take the train, 10-15 min more are not crucial. A few years back, I commuted every day from N. Salem to LI and if not at rush hours, it was doable.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM

853 posts, read 2,308,282 times
Why not Scarsdale itself? Edgemont is just a school district, an area with a Scarsdale 10583 address. At least if you are in the village of Scarsdale you get access to train station parking and village amenities like the pool. The Scarsdale schools are rigorous and standards are high because the parents there require it. I don't know anyone who lives there that doesn't speak very highly of the education their children are receiving (we used to live there). There really aren't any G&T programs in Westchester but I think in one of the top performing districts your children will be pushed to excel.

Be aware though, Scarsdale is currently doing a village-wide re-assessment of taxes.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Just note, there is a 10 year wait list for parking in Rye, so if you go there make sure you can walk to the station (or use the Harrison lot). Living in Rye and Scarsdale could not feel more different. Spend some time in both and go with what feels right. Both schools are equally rigorous but the parents are annoying in very different ways.

FWIW, we have great schools in Larchmont/Mamaroneck too, and you would be closer to your parents that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County