U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM

110 posts, read 304,757 times

Advertisements

hey all,

so, I will soon be working in the Bronx and I am considering geting an apartment in the borough itself or commuting in from somewhere in Westchester County. I'm looking for a train or bus service that would lead me somewhere central in the borough so that I only have to walk or get a subway once i'm there. What towns would you recommend for this purpose? I have a budget of approx $1,200 for housing and i'm a single male.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,022,794 times
You're going to have a tough time with your budget. You might try somewhere in the northern Riverdale section of the Bronx.

I've seen a few apartments on Real Estate, Homes for Sale and Apartments in the United States | Zillow that offer apartments in your price range on northern Broadway in the Riverdale area. From Broadway there is bus service to the 242nd St. subway station. Or you can change buses there and take another bus into the the Kingsbridge / Fordham Rd./ Grand Concourse section of the Bronx.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM

what about with a roommate? could I find something then?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,053,060 times
Where in The Bronx is the job? Different towns would work better if your job is in Pelham Bay, versus Wakefield, versus Riverdale.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM

seems like the Harlem line is what I would be using, so any towns on that line would be good.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM

385 posts, read 1,032,369 times
budget is tough, but you may find something on the harlem line, or the new haven line, which in the bronx follows the same route at the harlem line, exception at wakefield. look at mount vernon, though it has much crime, but has many options in your budget, like S 11th Ave and W 3rd St - Trulia. for something safer, look at bronxville in yonkers. it has options for you like 766 Bronx River Road #B54, Bronxville NY - Trulia and 26 Pondfield Road West #4D, Bronxville NY - Trulia (on harlem line). or look at white plains, a small city which has grown in recent years. it is on the harlem line. look at 1 Bryant Crescent #1A, White Plains NY - Trulia. only problem is that it is a far walk to the station.

also look at the new haven line. your options include 28 Elizabeth Street, Rye NY - Trulia in rye, Harbor House, New Rochelle - Trulia and 210 Pelham Road, New Rochelle NY - Trulia (and much more) in new rochelle, 570 Mamaroneck Avenue #2, Mamaroneck NY - Trulia in mamaroneck, 74 Coolidge Avenue, Stamford CT - Trulia and Clarks Hill Ave and East Main Street - Trulia in stamford.

how far are you willing to commute? because there are more options further north in places like pawling 20 Saratoga Street, Pawling NY - Trulia and 24 Walnut Street #2, Pawling NY - Trulia and 41 Meeting House Road, Pawling NY - Trulia or brewster 790 Route 312 #MH1, Brewster NY - Trulia.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,053,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You're going to have a tough time with your budget. You might try somewhere in the northern Riverdale section of the Bronx.

I've seen a few apartments on Real Estate, Homes for Sale and Apartments in the United States | Zillow that offer apartments in your price range on northern Broadway in the Riverdale area. From Broadway there is bus service to the 242nd St. subway station. Or you can change buses there and take another bus into the the Kingsbridge / Fordham Rd./ Grand Concourse section of the Bronx.
Actually, the Bx9 brings you directly to Kingsbridge & Fordham Road. (It basically takes Broadway to 225th Street/Kingsbridge Road, then goes down Fordham Road to Southern Blvd and ends by the Bronx Zoo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothisismyname View Post
seems like the Harlem line is what I would be using, so any towns on that line would be good.
But an exact neighborhood along the line (where you would be working) would be helpful. For instance, if it's in the Bedford Park area, that area's fine and you might just want to live in the immediate area and walk to work.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM

The area is not confirmed yet, so I guess I should hold off on this for now. Though I have an idea of the 3 train lines and the towns that go through them now, so i'm in decent shape. thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County