U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM

30 posts, read 107,242 times

Advertisements

IM A MOTHER OF THREE WITH A SECTION 8 VOUCHER LOOKIN TO MOVE FROM THE BRONX TO A NICE AREA IN ONE OF THE WESTCHESTER TOWNS. MY HUSBAND WORKS IN 38TH ST IN MANHATTAN SO IM LOOKIN FOR A COMMUTE TIME OF UNDER AN HOUR. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME DETERMINE FROM WHITE PLAINS,N R,TUCKAHOE, AND ANY OTHER PLACE WHERE I CAN USE MY VOUCHER BUT BE IN A LOW CRIME AREA. JUST BEING IN THE BRONX DOESNT FEEL SAFE FOR MY KIDS ANYMORE.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,446,657 times
I am happy to hear that you are making your way out of the Bronx to provide a better life for your family. I suspect that since you have a voucher it was not the best circumstances..so I wish you luck on your quest.

Westchester can be expensive also...have you considered moving out of state, possibly Pennsylvania, Florida, or Atlanta (Georgia)? I know of many people in similar circumstances that are finding much better lives for themselves and their families outside of the Metro area. I have family in all those areas...and they love it...I recommend!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I am happy to hear that you are making your way out of the Bronx to provide a better life for your family. I suspect that since you have a voucher it was not the best circumstances..so I wish you luck on your quest.

Westchester can be expensive also...have you considered moving out of state, possibly Pennsylvania, Florida, or Atlanta (Georgia)? I know of many people in similar circumstances that are finding much better lives for themselves and their families outside of the Metro area. I have family in all those areas...and they love it...I recommend!
thanx for the reply yes is a hardship of my situation i just dont like that people judge u cause u use a section 8 voucher that u belong in the ghetteo or are a troublemaker i havefamily in pa but my husband doesnt make that much to travel that far in commute i like nj but its hard with most towns having a lot of bad areas which is why i wanted to checkout westchester i kno its expensive but i just want a better qol for my kids

Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 AM

can living on a 45000 salary good enough in westchester county

Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 AM

10,632 posts, read 17,207,395 times
My Dad makes around that and it's doable... but he doesn't have 3 kids to support anymore. He has to live very frugally though. Most studio/1BRs in Westchester start at $800/mo. He has a 2BR at $1500, which my sister and I have to help pay the rent for. Could you get a part-time job?

If your family income is $45,000 for a family of 5, you're not eligible for Section 8. I tried to research this for my father.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 AM

Also, my father works 14 hour nights, and has to pay much, much more than 30% of his income for rent (Try 60%).

That is because he makes that sacrifice to live in Westchester, one of the most expensive places to live in the country. If you want to live there, you may need to make some of the same sacrifices. No one is owed a rental in Westchester.

I'm sorry if you fell on hard times, but so did my father. We were a family of 5 living in Westchester barely making it, when my mother suddenly died when all 3 of us were young. A 2 income barely making it family went down to one income (at the time? $35k) and we were eligible for no aid at all. We were just over the limit. To stay in Westchester, my father worked more hours, and my sister and I took on jobs, because it's a privilege to live there, not a right.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 PM

2,400 posts, read 5,380,680 times
The reason there are no affordable apartments is because of the Section 8 program. The program guarantees landlords 100% occupancy and high rents. If there were no Section 8 program, demand for these apartments would plummet, and the rents would plummet.

I may sound heartless, but I don't think anyone has the right to live in a certain area if they cannot afford it. I know somebody from Long Island whose sister was a bid of a mess and could not make a real living. He had gone to college in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania and set her up their in an apartment that was a fraction of the rent of a Long Island apartment. She is still a mess, but she can make it out there without a government subsidy.

In the early 19th century, farmers in northern Westchester left their rocky farmland in droves to settle better farmland in the midwest. The trip probably took two weeks by horse. Now you can drive in a couple of hours to an area where you could be financially better off. But instead, we give Section 8 subsidies. My how this country has changed.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The reason there are no affordable apartments is because of the Section 8 program. The program guarantees landlords 100% occupancy and high rents. If there were no Section 8 program, demand for these apartments would plummet, and the rents would plummet.

I may sound heartless, but I don't think anyone has the right to live in a certain area if they cannot afford it.
I agree. Now, my father, lived in Westchester his entire life, so he decided to work his youknowwhat off to stay there, and we helped him. But he is already planning on moving much father north in a few years so he can retire. The rest of my family from Westchester has all moved up north.

How come someone from the Bronx deserves to live in one of the most expensive counties in the country on a subsidy, when my working class family can't afford to stay where they lived their whole lives?

Now, if you want to work your butt off and move to Westchester for a better life for your children, I applaud that, just don't expect to be able to use your Section 8 credits. If you're making $45k legally, you don't qualify for them anyway... so I'm a little confused.

You can rent a 2 BR in a decent school district for $1500+. At least in N Westchester you can. Keep in mind the train pass to the city will cost $300/mo. If you want to move to the burbs, work in the burbs. How much of that $45k is your husbands salary? It is not worth it to commute into Manhattan for that, you could find similar jobs in Westchester.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 AM

83 posts, read 326,006 times
funny my neighbor is section 8 and we live in a very nice area of westchester. Yup I work my ass off but he has no job and gets the payments payed by who else??? ME AND YOU. its ironic how things work these days. I agree that some families work hard all thier lives to find that they are priced out of an area that they paid thier taxes and dues and then you have families that expect to have a better life for thier families by filing for section 8.

On the other hand the poor do get more poor and the rich get richer. Heck the middle class are even a dieing breed. I think there should be solutions for affordable housing. BUT, they should be situated in locations that are poroper for this.

I think that the statement that the OP said about striving for a better life for her faily is a noble one BUT how does she plan on doing this? Section 8? sorry get work and get off section 8. its there to help you get situated and than GET OFF and do it on your own.

Is your goal to get off section 8 or is it to have your husband commute to the city and you collect? there are plenty of families that have both the husband and wife work to make ends meet.

My wife and I both work and we have kids too. I'm nt saying you abuse the system but sertainly alot do.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM

yes im looking to get off govt help and want to start fresh in a new town just to add we do work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County