U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,179 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Can anyone recommend a great classic car mechanic/shop in Westchester?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 AM

414 posts, read 235,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodensee View Post
Hi everyone.

Thanks
I personally have no experience with them, but the Sunoco on the corner of Central Park Ave and Ardsley Rd. in Scarsdale always has amazing cars parked outside. Sunoco - 858 Central Park Ave - Scarsdale, NY - New York City Gas Prices

I always see 1970-72 chevelles, '67 vettes and '69 cammaros there. I also see them working on other cars in the garage.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 PM

475 posts, read 787,267 times
Isn't there a Brian's Automotive in Westchester. I think that's all he does is classic cars

Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,179,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Isn't there a Brian's Automotive in Westchester. I think that's all he does is classic cars
He's on Washington St in Peekskill. He does work on classic cars, and newer cars too. I've had some work done there on my last car, and personally I don't think he's very honest. Perhaps that's because I don't look like your typical "car guy" and he figured that he take advantage of my lack of knowledge about cars. One time, I asked him to install an aftermarket exhaust system on my car, and one of the tailpipes did not come out straight. It seemed to me like he was trying to hide this by placing a dumpster behind my car (which was not there earlier) when he left it in the street for me to pick up. He was hoping that by putting the dumpster there that I wouldn't notice that the two exhaust pipes were not symmetrical with each other.

Another time I went there to have him pull engine codes on my car because the check engine light was on. He came back to me with a list of codes like I've never seen before, suggesting that all sorts of things were wrong with my car. I went down the street to another shop for a second opinion, and there was a big difference in what I was being told was wrong with my car there. All I really needed was to replace a vent valve solenoid on the fuel filler neck, not the huge list of things that Brian's automotive was telling me was wrong.

To me, the guy just gives off an dishonest vibe and comes across as sleazy. If you're really into classic cars and very knowledgable about the mechanics of them, maybe he would be OK to work with, but otherwise I'd avoid him. But do your research before choosing a shop. Check Angie's List, for example, and other sites before deciding on a place to bring your car.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,510 times
Watch out for Brian. He told me work was done that was not done. Also do not buy a car from him. They are junk. I think he may be dishonest and inept.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,297 times
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Thanks
European or Domestic? There is a great European mechanic in Mount Kisco - really honest and old school.
Porsche, Benz, BMW....Porsche wanted about 4k for some work that he did for less than half the price.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 AM

83 posts, read 154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
European or Domestic? There is a great European mechanic in Mount Kisco - really honest and old school.
Porsche, Benz, BMW....Porsche wanted about 4k for some work that he did for less than half the price.
Autoworks? Ken is great. Before I found his shop, I used to drive our Audi to Brooklyn because that was the shop we used when we were in the city.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,297 times
Yes, thats the place. Sorry, I drew a blank on the name.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,074,205 times
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Thanks
I would stay away from Brian's in Peekskill as well. I have had bad experiences there. There is another shop in Peekskill that is good.
Jo-Lea, 1600 Main St, Peekskill, NY 10566
(914) 739-2955
They do a lot of work on classic cars and are very good.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,510 times
I know Jo-Lea's does excellent interior work and convertible tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County