Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:07 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think you're dreaming. That is NOT Westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 06:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Yes, I think you're dreaming. That is NOT Westchester.
I have to disagree with that one. I live in a 'rural' part of Yorktown Heights in northern Westchester and while we don't have blocks, per se, we do have regular community pot-lucks and get-togethers. Many are organized by the community association (Huntersville Association), which also has bi-annual street clean-ups and bi-annual concerts (to raise money). But many get-togethers are just neighbors getting together for dinner and hanging out. We also have regular play groups for the kids. In my experience the fact that houses are more private and separated makes people work harder to get together and have a sense of community. And I don't think we're unique. I know people who live in other areas nearby and they all have neighborhood associations, play groups, and a good sense of community. Not to be snotty or make generalizations, but I think that that is less common in southern Westchester (but I could be wrong!).

Old 11-04-2007, 06:29 PM

I forgot to mention bus parties, for all the kids on the bus route. That's one of my favorites. One of the things I love about it here is that I have tremendous privacy--four acres of very private land--but there is also a great sense of community and neighborliness.

And Yorktown has excellent elementary schools. We're one of the only districts with separate K-2 primary schools and 3-5 elementary schools, which makes each school very small and really focussed on the specific needs of the age group. My kid loves the school and we have been thrilled with it.

In our area you can get a nice 4 bedroom with some land for 900K to about 2M. There's a nice house for sale now for 925K.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 18,480 times
My kids started in Manhattan and when private school was too much we went to Scarsdale. No block parties there, but there's a "municipal pool" that's better than most country clubs, nice tennis courts, walking trails, etc.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordfell View Post
My kids started in Manhattan and when private school was too much we went to Scarsdale. No block parties there, but there's a "municipal pool" that's better than most country clubs, nice tennis courts, walking trails, etc.
That is a great benefit of Westchester. Almost every town has a great pool, tennis courts, running track, trails, and other amenities. A lot of socializing goes on at the pools and it is a great way for kids to meet friends. People complain about the taxes (I certainly do) but we actually get a big bang for our buck, even beyond good schools.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,876 times
Default block parties

Pelham has block parties.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM

131 posts, read 792,754 times
I recently moved from Scarsdale to Rochester (to be nearer to my husband's family)--and I grew up in Scarsdale, too. There are definitely neighborhoods in Scarsdale with young families and active neighborhood associations. I'd suggest looking in the Arthur Manor neighborhood, which is part of the Edgewood elementary school district. The neighborhood association is quite active; there's a nice little park right in the middle of the neighborhood (Davis Park), where there's an annual July 4th celebration which is great--lots of old-fashioned races and games, hot dogs, lemonade, a parade for the kids, etc. There have also been square dances, block parties, etc. The Greenacres neighborhood, which is on the other side of the Post Road, nearer to White Plains (Arthur Manor is nearer to Eastchester) is another area with a very active association and lots of young families.
I would not say that people in Scarsdale are generally "snobby," at least not the ones I encountered (maybe I just didn't move in the upper circles) :-) Yes, there are people there with lots of money, but in general I'd say any perceived unfriendliness is more because this is a community of high-achieving, very hard-working people who are just extremely busy.
The best way to meet people and feel a part of the community in Scarsdale is to get involved with the schools, if your kids are school-aged, and also to get involved with any of the many community organizations. They are always looking for volunteers.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:23 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
So in summation the moms in Scarsdale are pretty much the same as the Park Slope stroller-nazis except they drive expensive SUVs around town instead of pushing strollers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post
I recently moved from Scarsdale to Rochester (to be nearer to my husband's family)--and I grew up in Scarsdale, too. There are definitely neighborhoods in Scarsdale with young families and active neighborhood associations. I'd suggest looking in the Arthur Manor neighborhood, which is part of the Edgewood elementary school district. The neighborhood association is quite active; there's a nice little park right in the middle of the neighborhood (Davis Park), where there's an annual July 4th celebration which is great--lots of old-fashioned races and games, hot dogs, lemonade, a parade for the kids, etc. There have also been square dances, block parties, etc. The Greenacres neighborhood, which is on the other side of the Post Road, nearer to White Plains (Arthur Manor is nearer to Eastchester) is another area with a very active association and lots of young families.
I would not say that people in Scarsdale are generally "snobby," at least not the ones I encountered (maybe I just didn't move in the upper circles) :-) Yes, there are people there with lots of money, but in general I'd say any perceived unfriendliness is more because this is a community of high-achieving, very hard-working people who are just extremely busy.
The best way to meet people and feel a part of the community in Scarsdale is to get involved with the schools, if your kids are school-aged, and also to get involved with any of the many community organizations. They are always looking for volunteers.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM

103 posts, read 448,458 times
Lots of areas in Westchester have nice neighborhoods with young families, block parties etc. How long of a commute your husband is willing to endure? Is his office in Midtown or Downtown? You can get a great 4 BR/2+ BTH house 3200-3500 sq ft in Somers for about $1M. But commute will definitely be much longer than from Scarsdale. Yorktown, Katonah, North Salem and South Salem are all very friendly places. All of these towns are on Metro North Harlem line.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 49,311 times
Default communiting to city from Scarsdale

does anyone know how early the buses run in Scarsdale to the train station? My husband has to be at work in NYC by 7am so he needs to have access to a bus that takes him to the train station early.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County