Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamommie View Post
Is there an area in Westchester that is known to have young families and where they might be a bit more social, perhaps have block parties and events of such? Maybe I'm dreaming...
We are very happy in Eastchester. It is one town south of Scarsdale. It is a more "normal" middle-class community. The school district is excellent. Average SAT scores do not approach Scarsdale because we have much more economic diviersity. But the top students get into the best colleges (the valedictorian last year got into Harvard).

One of Eastchester's great features is the town-owned Lake Isle
Country Club (also owned by Tuckahoe and Bronxville). It has an 18-hole golf course, eight high-quality tennis courts and five outdoor pools. It is an absolute gem, and keeps us from going crazy in the summer with our kids.

The downtown (the corner of Mill Road and White Plains Road) is only OK. But there is a multi-million dollar plan in the works to fix it up. We actually live closer to downtown Scarsdale than most Scarsdale residents.

And yes, Scarsdale is snobby and ridiculously competitive. Every parent is trying to get their child into Harvard.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,509 times
Scarsdale has a nice town and there are some areas that have that sense of community you are looking for. My SIL lives in the Edgewood section and they have block parties, and cookie exchanges etc. Also, its close to the train station. You can get a parking space at the Scarsdale train station for about $450/year. The parking space is near Garth road so it is probably a 5 min walk to the train but its worth it and the space is cheap. My space in Crestwood is $1150/year. My husband also has to be at work by 7Am and he works downtown in the financial district - he takes the 6:15 train out of Scarsdale though you can take the 5:40 train too.

Other areas to consider would be Bronxville, Larchmont and Chappaqua. I also like the Rivertowns like Irvington and Hastings.

Good Luck.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 11,837 times
We have heard wonderful things about the Edgemont School District and are just beginning to seriously consider moving out of the city. Can anyone tell us the general geographical boundaries of the school district? We understand it's not a town or a village and can't seem to find any maps on the internet. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 38,296 times
Hendrick Hudson School District in Cortlandt has excellent schools . The Hen Hud district was why we chose to buy up here when we got married. There is also the convenience of the Cortlandt train station if you need to commute into the city. Prices up up aren't bad either..at least relative to places like Scarsdale, Bedford, Chappaqua etc. We wll be moving soon over to Orange County because we wanted a more rural area, but we will miss Cortlandt.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 21,552 times
Hi Are U Still Looking For Somewhere In Westchester To Purchase ???? And No You Not Dreaming About Having Social Events That Is What This World Needs Honest And Kind Respectable People

Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM

142 posts, read 958,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtowestchester View Post
We have heard wonderful things about the Edgemont School District and are just beginning to seriously consider moving out of the city. Can anyone tell us the general geographical boundaries of the school district? We understand it's not a town or a village and can't seem to find any maps on the internet. Thanks!
I believe Edgemont is still considered part of Scarsdale. It runs in between Yonkers and Scarsdale, as well as parts of Hartsdale- along the east side of Central Ave. The school system is considered one of the best in the country and is extremely competitive!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,819 times
Edgemont has a Scarsdale address but is located in the Town of Greenburgh. Edgemont is essentially the name of a hamlet and a school district. It is not a village or a town or a mailing address.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,464 times
Default Montessori and prime public schools

We would love to have you come and explore the neighborhoods of Chappaqua, Armonk and other communities in Westchester that would serve your needs and wishes. Click on Siderow.com and check, list, question. However, we would love to have a "live" conversation and meet you over the phone if you wish. Please list your interests and loves...garden club, chamber orchestra, cooking etc. we are a full service office and I am the owner/broker at your service. sheila siderow

Old 03-31-2008, 03:01 PM

269 posts, read 477,578 times
Default You will NOT find block parties in Scarsdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamommie View Post
Is there an area in Westchester that is known to have young families and where they might be a bit more social, perhaps have block parties and events of such? Maybe I'm dreaming...
I live on the Eastchester/Scarsdale border and I will tell you that although Scarsdale is beautiful, it is not a friendly town. I am a very down to earth gal from the Bronx and did not fit in with the Scarsdale crowd. dh and I joke that it is the "world revolves around me town".

There are some lovely pre-schools in the area and for the better ones, you may need to wait on line at 6:00AM on the 1st day of registration to have a chance of getting in.

Hope not to offend any Scarsdalians, I have just had a really negative experience there, not my kind of town.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 PM

371 posts, read 1,562,368 times
Alexamommie,

you might want to consider Dobbs Ferry. They have great schools, a walkable town and its near the Metro North and they have a great Montessori PreK as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County