U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 52,920 times

Advertisements

Originally from Westchester, we just are in the process of moving back after living in Los Angeles for over 10 years. We are trying to find: "affordable", close to train, great schools, safe neighborhood. We ideally want to move to one of the river towns but are looking for lower-priced alternatives. I have been researching Hartsdale, but can't find many 'facts' on the schools there except for some really bad reviews on greatschools.net.

Anyone have knowledge on life and the public schools in hartsdale?

Any other recommendations of towns that fit the qualities listed above?
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:47 PM

2,400 posts, read 5,380,070 times
The general perception of the school district, which is I believe is known as Greenburgh Central 7, is awful. But do you own due diligence.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,483,243 times
Yeah whats up with Hartsdale's schools? The town itself seems really nice, but I haven't heard many good things about Hartsdale's schools. Whats the reason for this?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 16,784 times
Hartsdale's lower schools aren't bad, but the high school belongs to the Town of Greenburgh, in which the hamlet of Hartsdale is located, and it includes a bad part of White Plains, which is a real problem. But there are private schools (Catholic and Hebrew) a stone's throw from the high school, and since the home prices are lower than neaby Scarsdale, you can send your kids there.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 AM

That would make sense about the H.S. being troublesome. I really like Hartsdale. It has a nice small town vibe to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordfell View Post
Hartsdale's lower schools aren't bad, but the high school belongs to the Town of Greenburgh, in which the hamlet of Hartsdale is located, and it includes a bad part of White Plains, which is a real problem. But there are private schools (Catholic and Hebrew) a stone's throw from the high school, and since the home prices are lower than neaby Scarsdale, you can send your kids there.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 AM

THanks for all the replies. It's a shame because hartsdale has some really nice looking affordable homes.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 PM

2,400 posts, read 5,380,070 times
That's why they are affordable - the schools

Old 11-07-2007, 11:06 AM

yep that's what i'm finding. wherever there's gorgeous homes with low price tags, there's a reason... either the crime is high, the schools are bad, or it's right next to a high crime area.

Thanks for all the replies! This board has been very helpful.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM

That pretty much sums up all of the suburban areas of NYC. Unless you are willing to deal with or work around these factors you will end up spending a lot of money on a house in this area.

The other trade off that a lot of people make is to live far out in the middle of nowhere with 1hr+ commutes into the city. The housing is definitely cheaper in these areas, but the ammenities are not nearly as nice and you're spending a huge part of your day just commuting to your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by return2ny View Post
yep that's what i'm finding. wherever there's gorgeous homes with low price tags, there's a reason... either the crime is high, the schools are bad, or it's right next to a high crime area.

Thanks for all the replies! This board has been very helpful.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 PM

19 posts, read 102,205 times
I live in Hartsdale - it's a great place to be in with one exception - the school district.

I have two children in the public school district, but will be pulling one out & placing in private school in another town (to avoid going to Woodlands H.S.)

We originally had our children in the catholic school here, but like other parents, decided to pull them out due to unacceptable situations (and no it wasn't a priest & alter boy thing!! lol)

The public school district itself is filled with teachers & staff committed to making a differance. With few exceptions, every teacher my children had were 100% commited to them doing well. However, even thier efforts seem to fail in stemming the flow of "street life". Just last year, a 6th grader was stabbed during a fight over a girl, and a month before that - a sophmore in H.S. was stomped by a group of kids. He suffered a broken leg and plenty of minor injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County