Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM

475 posts, read 852,916 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I was researching markets for the best places to launch a small independent automotive service business. First I would just like to establish that I have no interest in the river towns, or NYC, or anything of the like. I already know that those places are extremely expensive and not even going to waste my time or money to try.

The name of my company is called going to be called Car Vet and the name was adopted by the fact that my business is veteran owned, it has to do with cars, and I ripped off Chevrolet because it sounds similar to Corvette...lol. I thought the name was catchy.

My experience and education includes business and factory training courses through American Honda, AC Delco, and Chrysler Automotive Group. When I was working in the aftermarket I also took advantage of the companies continuing education through NAPA and their NIAT program.

My leadership and management skills were developed via the US Army and the University of Maryland's entrepreneur workshop.

I also hold industry certification, VSI certification, and savings that would be considered viable to starting a small veteran owned business.

I am writing this because what I had learned in my workshop is that one of the ways to test a potential market is to use the social media networks to test the waters of that market.

Anyways thanks for listening my New York friends, and please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Hi everyone I was researching markets for the best places to launch a small independent automotive service business. First I would just like to establish that I have no interest in the river towns, or NYC, or anything of the like. I already know that those places are extremely expensive and not even going to waste my time or money to try.

The name of my company is called going to be called Car Vet and the name was adopted by the fact that my business is veteran owned, it has to do with cars, and I ripped off Chevrolet because it sounds similar to Corvette...lol. I thought the name was catchy.

My experience and education includes business and factory training courses through American Honda, AC Delco, and Chrysler Automotive Group. When I was working in the aftermarket I also took advantage of the companies continuing education through NAPA and their NIAT program.

My leadership and management skills were developed via the US Army and the University of Maryland's entrepreneur workshop.

I also hold industry certification, VSI certification, and savings that would be considered viable to starting a small veteran owned business.

I am writing this because what I had learned in my workshop is that one of the ways to test a potential market is to use the social media networks to test the waters of that market.

Anyways thanks for listening my New York friends, and please let me know what you think.
Sounds nice, though it's not clear what all the qualifications have to do with the question. Anyway, the answer to the tax question depends on how your business is structured. LLC? Chapter S corp? Something else? Sole proprietorship? LLC's seem to be popular and relatively simple. In that case the business itself pays no tax. Profits (if any) flow through directly to the income section on your 1040 and you're taxed accordingly. The same occurs with NYS for state tax.

Did the coursework cover anything about business formation or other considerations in starting an auto repair business? There are all kinds of other regulations to take into account (safety, environmental, etc etc).

Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM

475 posts, read 852,916 times
Thanks for the reply. Certainly need to look into more options and as you stated safety, environmental, etc. etc. I have always wanted to own my own business and I'm a good technician but I had felt it would be a smart move to not only ask the people who reside in such areas but to also pursue some business education as well. Someone had told me that Florida would be a good place to do it based on the fact that the state offers a lower cost of living and cheaper tax rates. I did some research on Jacksonville and it was listed as a military friendly state and that 14% of all small business was owned veterans. I am surprised New York didn't make that list because it is home to one of the best academies on the planet, USMA @ West Point. I loved being stationed up there and being able to use AAFES and the Commissary. Such a beautiful area. Anyways again thanks for the reply and I will continue to research my options. The idea of Florida really does not interest me although Jax is a big military town, Navy, not Army, but we're all on the same team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: