Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 58,338 times

Advertisements

So, i hear Eastchester has decent schools, nice neighborhood, I'm curious about Tuckahoe also. Their elementary gets good reviews on greatschools but I am having trouble finding out info for either high school.

Also what's the commute like from Eastchester or Tuckahoe? Do they have their own train stops?

Any info on either town is appreciated.

(safety, schools, family life)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,220,590 times
There are three train stations (Tuckahoe, Crestwood and Scarsdale) that serve Tuckahoe and Eastchester. Both communities have excellent commutes to New York City (30+/- minute train ride).

Tuckahoe (and Bronxville) are vilages within the Town of Eastchester. The three commuities have low-cost access to the town-owned Lake Isle Country Club, which has an 18-hole golf course, 8+/- tennis courts and five pool. This is a tremendous amenity.

As a resident of the Eastchester School District, I can say that the schools are excellent. Yes, the average SAT scores are considerably lower than nearby Bronxville and Scarsdale. But this is a function of family income, not the school districts. Bronxville and Scarsdale are, for the most part, uniformly wealthy, while Eastchester is mostly middle class. The so-called "best" school districts in any area always have the highest per capita income. The top kids in Eastchester High School get into the best schools.

I have also heard good things about Tuckahoe. My problem with Tuckahoe is that it is one of the smallest school districts in Westchester. But if that is a plus for you, you should check it out. Tuckahoe is also a mostly middle-class community.

Good Luck!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 58,338 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the very helpful info. We are not striving for scarsdale bronxville, something more within our economic means and something we feel we'd be comfy in socially as well. Eastchester/Tuckahoe seems intriguing. I grew up in the river towns and initially living in one of those was my goal, but i think i'll look into adding Eastchester/Tuckahoe to my list.

It's tricky because in the listings, while the address says "tuckahoe" or "eastchester" sometimes the area says "Yonkers".
I don't want to end up buying something that will end up having my kids in yonkers schools. Do some Eastchester/Tuckahoe homes actually have zoning that require Yonkers schools?

Thanks again!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,327,562 times
Just make sure when dealing with the realtor that the house is zoned for the town you want to send your kids to. Also a lot of listings online will state what schools the house is zoned for. Obviously make sure you work all of this out prior to purchasing anything.

I think I must state that not all of the schools in Yonkers are bad. The high school is really the only school that you should really worry about for people living in Eastern Yonkers. Most of the elementary and middle schools in eastern Yonkers are pretty decent. However these schools are not considered desireable likes the ones in Scarsdale/Bronxville, thats the difference.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM

There are certain areas of Yonkers that have a Tuckahoe mailing address. But as the prior poster said, just be clear with your realtor regarding school districts.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 329,594 times
on that same note- why are some scarsdale homes zoned for yonkers schools? i'm so confused about this!

Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,327,562 times
The confusion lies with Yonkers. Yonkers is huge and has a population of 200,000. The elementary schools aren't so bad in the Eastern parts of Yonkers, but the High School is pretty atrocious.

Now the confusing thing is that in Eastern Yonkers some of the neighborhoods are actually pretty nice and the houses are quite upscale, however they are zoned for Yonkers schools. So to kind of make up for this a lot of these areas have Postal Addresses that say Bronxville, Tuckahoe, or Scarsdale instead of Yonkers. This is puerly a matter of pride, and doesn't affect anything but your mail.

The same thing applies to the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Riverdale is a very exclusive neighborhood in the Bronx, so its residents don't want to be associated with the rest of the Bronx. As a result they petitioned the post office to get a "Riverdale, NY" postal address instead of a "Bronx, NY" address. In reality it doesn't affect anything, but obviously its considered more prestigious to have one of these addresses.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 PM

lgsdss - they are not Scarsdale homes zoned for Yonkers schools. They are Yonkers homes that have Scarsdale mailing addresses. There is a big difference.

These postal boundaries were probably carved out 100 years ago. So the areas of Yonkers that were located much closer to the Scarsdale Post Office than any Yonkers Post Office were given Scarsdale mailing addresses. The same thing goes for Yonkers homes that have Bronxville mailing addresses - they were located much closer to the Bronxville Post Office and any Yonkers Post Office.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM

22 posts, read 329,594 times
that was very helpful- thank you!
we are aiming for scarsdale, eastchester, rye and tuckahoe.. we really want to be able to get into the city in less then 30 minutes.
any other ideas?

Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Scarsdale and Rye are two of the most expensive communities in Westchester. You will get much more for your money in Tuckahoe and Eastchester. Of course the brokers in Rye and the brokers in Scarsdale will tell you that they are the "best" school districts.

But I have always believed that the so-called "best" school districts are determined by the wealth of the community, not by who has the the best teachers and administrators. I guarantee you that all these districts have great teachers and lousy teachers. Most importantly, all these districts provide an environment that is conducive for learning. So if your kids are smart and motivated, they can get into the best colleges from any of the districts.

Of the four, Scarsdale is the pressure cooker. The parents really covet those Ivy League bumper stickers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County