U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,066 times

Advertisements

Exploring moving to Beacon, NY from NYC. How is the job market if I wanted to find something locally? Also for those who commute to NYC? How is your daily commute?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 PM

2,530 posts, read 6,249,722 times
It's all "upstate" from NYC, but Beacon is in Dutchess county. That's the second county beyond Westchester and 70+ miles from midtown, so you may want to post on the NY board instead of here. Search the interwebs for train schedule.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM

222 posts, read 492,020 times
What type of Job are you looking for? There's not much going on up there business-wise besides IBM which is currently laying off workers. Unless you have a specific qualification MD/JD/CPA you'll be hard pressed to crack 50k in that area.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM

581 posts, read 1,191,567 times
What is your current work situation?
Why are you looking to move? Some stupid article you read?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,611 times
I've lived in Beacon for 17 years (and am moving out soon) and I have to agree with Westchester. You would be hard pressed to find something in that salary range within the Beacon city limits. Grand Central from Beacon is roughly 45 minutes. Most of the people I know around here have at least one spouse that commutes to Manhattan and the other spouse works the second income in retail, or they work from home, or they don't work outside the home. Those that do commute don't seem to mind it.

Keep in mind also, that not only are you close to the train station, but I84 and the Taconic, too. Even the Thruway.

Plenty to do on the weekends besides the galleries and stores on Main St. Long Dock Park, and the rail trail down there, hiking Mt. Beacon, the Sunday flea markets, not to mention the various festivals at riverfront park.

Beacon has changed for the good in so many ways since I bought here. I wish you luck!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM

192 posts, read 336,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgznk View Post
Exploring moving to Beacon, NY from NYC. How is the job market if I wanted to find something locally? Also for those who commute to NYC? How is your daily commute?

thanks
Can't speak for job market. But I have friends that lived or have lived up there. They hated life commuting to the NYC everyday. All but one has moved out of Beacon due to the long commute to NYC. The other one works from home.

It's going to depend on you. Some people don't seem to mind the commuting, others like myself hate commuting to NYC. Thank God with my current job I don't need to commute.

Why don't you take a weekend vacation to Beacon? Take the train in from NYC stay for the weekend and take the train back to NYC. Then ask yourself...can I do this everyday? Also don't forget to add in the daily train cost.

Just my 2 pennies.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 AM

581 posts, read 1,191,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy29 View Post
Grand Central from Beacon is roughly 45 minutes.
Try doubling that number.
It's 77 to 90 mins. on Metro North.
Add another 30 mins for travel to station and to the office.

ie: Beacon is at best case 1.5 hours commute, 1 way.
Most likely, 1:45 to 2 hour commute to NYC.

NOT 45 mins.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 AM

425 posts, read 1,112,931 times
Beacon is a 45 minute train ride to GCT, after your drive 45 minutes to get to Croton on Hudson train station.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,611 times
OK, you're right, you're right. It's somewhere between 77 minutes and 80+. I was wrong. It's not 45 minutes.

I think the worst part is trying to find a parking slot at the train station...and tacking on that cost in addition to the train fare. I know one family who moved over to the Newburgh area - he either parks over there, comes over on the ferry, then heads down on the train out of Beacon, or he drives over and parks. Last I knew, he still has his parking pass. Now THAT is a commute!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM

20 posts, read 50,074 times
it would be easier to commute from Pennsylvania Allentown area i78 on the bus then deal with increasing metro north fares and costs of train station parking .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County