Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,971 times

Advertisements

We moved to Armonk recently. I have lived in many Westchester towns and find Armonk to be a very odd town...At "The GYM" I have never seen so many women who seem to live in another world, seemingly there three times a day..... Parents are over the top about the schools but many of the moms don't seem to want to spend time with their kids. They are all playing tennis, working out etc...Everyone seems very concerned about themselves and how much money everyone else makes and how much their homes cost...I think Narcissism is the word which best suits this sort of place...

Many towns have money, maybe its the new money? Maybe its the type of people with this new money?? Keep in mind that I am generalizing here, as we have made some nice friends, however, there seems to be a much larger percentage of oddballs (i am being kind) here than lets say Chappaqua or Bedford...

Thankfully my kids have made many good friends, which makes it much easier to tolerate.

Just my two cents..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 PM

10 posts, read 43,954 times
Thanks John, you just made my home search a little easier, lol.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Your observations are most likely accurate and could be applied to any number of places. It seems to be a "me" generation, thats all that matters. Things like kids are jsut accessories that go with the lifestyle.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your observations are most likely accurate and could be applied to any number of places. It seems to be a "me" generation, thats all that matters. Things like kids are jsut accessories that go with the lifestyle.
Perhaps, but Armonk seems particularly susceptible. Armonk is the target of this observation again and again. It's the topic of numerous threads on this board. We don't see "What's wrong with [Larchmont, Pelham, Pleasantville, etc]" threads.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,991 times
I'm actually surprised to hear that you didn't have the same experiences in Chappaqua or Bedford (especially with the horse-riding set over there). I imagine that Scarsdale would also be much like you describe Armonk.

I've never lived in Armonk but I work there. I've heard stuff about a woman having an affair with a tennis coach at one of the clubs in town. Didn't really surprise me that much. The problem with places like Armonk is that it is full of professionals and business owners with lots of money whose wives don't have to work and have too much free time on their hands.

I've lived in Westchester for a long time, and while it may sound like I'm jealous of the people who live in places like Armonk, Bedford and Scarsdale, I am not. When I was growing up, we didn't have the huge houses that people in these areas have, and we didn't go on multiple vacations each year or belong to a country club. What I did have, though, were parents who were actively involved in my life, including coaching the little league team I belonged to and being active in the Boy Scout troop I was a member of, and who took us on vacation with them every summer, instead of going away on vacations by themselves. We all ate dinner together every night, and my parents were around to help me with my homework if I needed it. I'm happy with the experiences I had, and would not trade in any of it to live in a place like Armonk.

The money and status obsessed attitude of so many of the people who live in Westchester today is one of the reasons why I no longer want to live here.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM

395 posts, read 1,618,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'm actually surprised to hear that you didn't have the same experiences in Chappaqua or Bedford (especially with the horse-riding set over there). I imagine that Scarsdale would also be much like you describe Armonk.
I know Chappaqua has this reputation on these boards and I'm sure it has its fair share of these types, but I have honestly found most moms to be down to earth professionals/previous professionals who value family, community and education over flash and materialism. My kids so far are having more of the childhood you describe you had growing up as opposed to what the OP posted about Armonk. Yes there are nice houses and sleep away camps and beach vacations, and the overall cost of living requires a hefty income, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the general lack of pretentiousness and lululemon around the elementary school.

I haven't spent much time in Armonk but I will say that one of the more snootier parts of Chap is the area adjacent to the Whippoorwill Club...in Armonk.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'm actually surprised to hear that you didn't have the same experiences in Chappaqua or Bedford (especially with the horse-riding set over there). I imagine that Scarsdale would also be much like you describe Armonk. >>>snip<<<

The money and status obsessed attitude of so many of the people who live in Westchester today is one of the reasons why I no longer want to live here.
That's cause Chappaqua or Bedford are quite different. Scarsdale too. What seperates Armonk from the other towns you mention was relatively recent, unfettered construction giving them a huge crop of McMansions. Then lots of flashy new money moved in. So that group is greatly overrepresented vs Chappaqua, Bedford, etc. As for the Bedford horse crowd, yeah, they're pretty insufferable. But their absolute numbers are actually pretty small and so easy to ignore. The bling crowd in Armonk is a much slice of the population.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
That's cause Chappaqua or Bedford are quite different. Scarsdale too. What seperates Armonk from the other towns you mention was relatively recent, unfettered construction giving them a huge crop of McMansions. Then lots of flashy new money moved in. So that group is greatly overrepresented vs Chappaqua, Bedford, etc. As for the Bedford horse crowd, yeah, they're pretty insufferable. But their absolute numbers are actually pretty small and so easy to ignore. The bling crowd in Armonk is a much slice of the population.
BINGO! thats my take having lived here for a year. We moved from Bronxville. Lots of money there too but a completely different attitude, feel and environment. Armonk has a younger population, many with wall street money.

It does not seem to have the refinement of Chappaqua, Bedford and even Scarsdale. AGAIN, this is a generalization, there are many many super nice and down to earth people here. 25 years ago it seems Armonk was hickville owing to the fact that there is no train.

Now, all this said...my kids like it here so we are happy.

Last edited by john70; 06-25-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
All I know about it is the IBM head office and the boyhood home of humorist Dave Barry.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM

17 posts, read 32,615 times
Man, I didn't even know Armonk is a rich town. I am new to Westchester area. I work in Armonk and all I see is crappy small stores and trees when I drive to the Main street. I would never even think of living in Armonk if I'm so rich.
Btw, I wish there's a good burger place where I can visit during lunch......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County