Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinD View Post
My search started in the WP and Scarsdale area, and I was 100% sold until I started specifically looking for things like gyms, shopping options, larger grocery chains, and hotels (for visiting family) and there wasn't much popping up. I know a google search isn't an accurate picture, which is why I wanted to see what others had to say. I suppose I was hoping someone could prove me wrong about the area, so I'll gladly take rebuttals!!
There is all of this in White Plains - groceries, hotels, gyms etc. White Plains is a city in itself. Mamaroneck Avenue in White Plains has chain restaurants galore - more than one can find in any strip mall. There is also Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I can't imagine not finding everything you mentioned in White Plains.

If you want to go to COSTCO, you can find it in Yonkers which is also near Scarsdale/Tuckahoe/Hartsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM

866 posts, read 2,485,218 times
What you have to remember about this area is that it is old. OLD. It's just not like other places in the country. We lived in NC for a while and appreciated the large strip malls and huge parking lots for their convenience - you won't find that here. That said, it is very very pretty and you can still find the conveniences you are looking for, but it won't be in the same town/village as where you live but only because the towns here are generally very small and not all have commercial activity.

As an example, I live in Mamaroneck - Mamaroneck Ave is a great street for restaurants and shops, Larchmont's "downtown" is cute and has stores and restaurants, and Boston Post Road has tons of stores in both directions. There is a Stop and Shop 5 minutes away, a Trader Joes even closer, and if I need "big box" stores I can head to Port Chester, New Rochelle, or head up to White Plains (there is a mall there). I was just in Target in WP this morning, which is about 20 minutes from my house. There is an Equinox and a Healthy Fit women's gym within 5 minutes of my house. I personally find Central Park Ave awful, but there is a lot of stuff there if you end up in that area.

And FYI you can take Amtrak from New Rochelle right into Newark Airport. The drive to JFK isn't too bad, and La Guardia is even better.

bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Ok, I was a bit snarky. Let me tell you about where I live - Rye Neck - its part of the Village of Mamaroneck. Typical LI Sound side of Westchester I would say. Within 2 miles we have: all three levels of schools (some blue ribbon, all well-rated); 3 gyms (one local, the other two more regional), a theater, a cinema, a Trader Joes, an A&P (...); a fresh pasta store, multiple bakers (who actually bake, not shipping it in from elsewhere), multiple parks, a marina and beautiful park on a harbor, an archery store and range, various yoga establishments, a nature reserve with meadows and salt marshes, ospreys, red-tailed hawks, possums and deer free of charge, a smoked-fish factory and outlet, multiple Italian restaurants, Japanese, Morroccan, French (run by French people), Turkish, Lebanese, Mexican, New American, and old-time toy store, a hardware store going strong since the 1800's, a yacht builder if you need one, an old-school butchers, a fishmongers, a great Peruvian restaurant I discovered last week, a handful of Irish pubs, a local branch of the Rotary, the Elks, the Lions, a pet store, a tropical furits and veg. greengrocers, more pizza places than you can shake a stick it, some even good, and the obligatory CVS, dry cleaners, tailors, etc etc. Travel a little further and you can visit a mall if you want in Port Chester or WP or Pelham.

And the only time I've ever been stuck in traffic on local streets is due to the streetfairs, or the firemen's parade.

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
We have four kids, ages 3,5,7, and 16, and we're looking to move from Fairfax, VA up to NY. We have a few dilemmas that have been making this a stressful process for me, the biggest being that my husband needs to be reasonably close to a major international airport (so nothing north of White Plains), and we are spoiled with all of the conveniences of our area. I thought looking in Westchester County we'd find a lot of what we have here, but I was really surprised to see otherwise. From the searching I've done, it seems much more small-town than suburbs. I started looking into Rockland County as well, hoping I'd find more to work with, but there's not much difference that I can see. I'm hoping I'm just missing something in my searches.

Just to give you an idea of where we're coming from, we have 6 different elementary schools, 3 high schools, 6 large grocery stores, 2 malls, multiple strip malls with popular stores, 3 huge gyms, and countless restaurants, theaters, and doctors within a few miles of us where we are now. Plus, this is a very safe area and Fairfax County schools are ranked well and have never ceased to impress us over the years. Yes, it's wonderful and my husband thinks I'm crazy to want to leave this, but we want to move up north. So here's the question I put forth to those of you familiar with NY state: where in Westchester or Rockland County can we find something even remotely similar to what we have now? I realize we'll have to make some concessions, but we can't go from a "middle of everything" feel to a "middle of nowhere" atmosphere. Any suggestions or help we could get would be much appreciated, as we'd like to book a week up there this summer to start looking around whatever area we narrow our search down to.
I currently live in Henrico outside Richmond so I fully understand the type of enviroment you are coming from and I grew up in Rockland so let me give you some ideas. You mention the need for an airport, Newark is historically the easiest of the 3 to get to. From New City in Rockland the trip takes just over an hour on average and there are park & ride options also. Clarkstown, Pearl River, Ramapo (not East Ramapo) are all strong school districts in Rockland but don't assume that the school district boundaries are the same as the towns. Rockland has 6 school districts where we have only 1.

Shopping is there but for a "Fairfax Galleria" type feel I would travel 20 minutes to Paramus NJ and there is no sale tax on clothes in NJ. Most of the town in Rockland have a main street and a resonable selection of stores. Palisades Mall is the local monolith to shopping. You didn't mention a price range you are looking at, this would help to better guide you and does either of you require commuting into NY City?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Streetsmart - snap.
Oh yea, the Stop n Shop too.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
I apologize if my post was offensive in some way, I certainly wasn't trying to ruffle feathers. I was getting the impression that the area was more small town than active suburbs based on my searching, but as I stated in my earlier reply, I'm happy to have my opinions (politely) refuted.

As to my specifics of our area, I was simply trying to explain what we have at our convenience here to give a clear picture of what we'd LIKE to find elsewhere. I have very little time for shopping, thank you, so the proximity of the shopping centers makes quick errands easy. With four children doing multiple activities, most of MY time is spent doing things with and for them. Not that this information has anything to do with this thread. And no, I don't need 6 grocery stores, I would be fine with one if it meant fewer trips out. But again, my search was limited to what I could find online, which brought me here.
Not offensive at all, just confusing. If your knowledge is all online that explains it.

Anyway, Westchester is suburbia on steroids. There's shopping all over, as mentioned by other posters, but much more private shops / boutiquey than most places cause communities are older and many of the towns have active village centers. Strip malls are definitely considered declasse. There less chain anything here than almost anywhere. Westchester just isn't (on the whole) a Walmart shopper place. Locals love it for that, many newcomers don't get it.

But why the interest in NY? You don't mention any commuting or job requirements. At the root of it Westchester just exists as bedroom communities for NYC commuters with the services etc that serve those commuters. It's laughably expensive and taxes are simply outrageous. Houses are absurdly expensive for what you get in comparison to almost anywhere else in the country. As a result nobody just picks up and moves here without some kind of reason. Understanding the reason helps people be helpful in providing info that's relevant. What's your budget?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM

116 posts, read 373,308 times
I understand what you mean, OP. I can't speak to Rockland County but I don't think *anywhere* in Westchester is going to be at all similar to what you're leaving in Fairfax. People who are from this area don't get it! But I came here from a suburban area that had "everything" I needed as a busy mom and I've had to adjust my routines a lot since moving here. There is so much to love here, but Westchester isn't super convenient for anything besides commuting to NYC - when you're the one at home, its more difficult to accomplish your list of errands here than in Fairfax or any other "typical" suburban area. You're coming from an area where every town has a Target, a Whole Foods, a nice gym, etc. - here, you'll have to go into several different small towns to hit all those places - its not a big deal, but its different. Without knowing anything at all about your needs besides a convenient suburban feel, I'd recommend Ridgewood NJ - a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. all in the middle of town.... On the other hand, moving is about change, and you may find you like this lifestyle better!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM

82 posts, read 218,805 times
You said your son wants to do in state college? Why in the heck would you leave Virginia in that case? You're giving up UVA, W&M Tech, Mason, JMU for SUNY Binghamton? These are not comparable choices. Nothing against SUNY, but NY's state schools just aren't competitive with Virginia's right now.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Now I see...OP would like to go where she can park the car in one place and walk to everything she listed, perhaps while staying indoors. Funny I used to live near and go around Montclair Plaza in SoCal and didn't understand right away. I also regularly visit Royal Oak in MI and South Coast Mall in Irvine.

Palisades Mall in Rockland would be one place. Short Hills Mall in NJ another.

In Long Island, there is Garden City which is a short distance from the big Roosevelt Field Mall and The Gallery in Westbury. You also have airport options in JFK, LGA and Islip. You can look at this if you want to stay in NY.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
Having moved to Westchester from the Westside of Los Angeles a few years ago, I don't find anything less convenient here at all, quite the opposite. Target here might be further away from my house but it takes less time to get there than in LA. When everything is built close together you get congestion and traffic which ends up eating away at any convenience factor. I'm glad to be out of the concrete suburban jungle and love driving among trees and beautiful scenery when running my errands. And the great thing about smaller towns and school districts is that shuttling your kids takes place within a smaller radius, especially when they are in elementary school. Every sports field, playdate, school event, etc is within a 5-10 min drive (or in some cases a reasonable walk!) for me.

ETA: I agree with those suggesting Long Island. It seems to have the overall feel you are looking for. Ridgewood, NJ is great but having no retail stores open on Sundays in Bergen County is a real drag on convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County