Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,001 times

Advertisements

Hello i was recently thinking about moving to Carmel, Mahopac, or Brewster and i was just wondering which Metro-North station would i be using and also if anyone knows how the parking situation is around 2 p.m. mon-thursday?

Also on a side note i was wondering if anyone would know how the area dealt with hurricane sandy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 AM

31 posts, read 135,629 times
You'd use the Southeast Station. There's enough parking as far as I know, though neither my husband nor I use the station. Will you be commuting to NYC? It's a very long commute on the train - my husband works near Columbus Circle and drives every day because it's a shorter commute and cheaper (he pays for garage parking every day). The Southeast station is the last station on the Harlem line so the ticket prices are the highest of all the stops to GC. If you happen to work near GC it might be a little more do-able.

The area was mostly fine from Sandy - some power outages but no long term damage.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM

36 posts, read 65,017 times
Hi orangesliice,

I grew up in Brewster and commuted from Southeast while still living with my parents for almost a year, and it was NOT fun. I got a parking permit after about 7 or 8 months, but before that, while on the waiting list, you pay daily to park at the station. My commute was over 2 hours door-to-door, I would leave my house at 6:15am, 10 min drive to Southeast, park and wait for train. 80+ minute train, then 15 mins from GCT to office (including express subway from GCT to Union Square). As a young, healthy person, it was exhausting. Sure, I work long hours (but who doesn't really?) and my days would begin at 5:30 and end after 8pm.

It's also ridiculously expensive. When factoring in a $360 month train ticket, $112 metrocard, parking at train station (forgot how much this was) and gas to drive to and from the station, I wouldn't even recommend it for people not making a good salary (sorry, just being blunt). And the MTA constantly drives up those train and subway passes, so within a year you'll be paying more.

I have since moved to White Plains and it is much better, though still expensive. Is it doable from Putnam? Yes, of course, but you're giving up a LOT of money and free time spent on a train. 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week.. it's not something I'd be willing to do for my whole career.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM

36 posts, read 65,017 times
Oh and also, I forgot to mention, my house got pretty badly damaged during the hurricane and the snowstorm in October of 2011, and both times we went without power for a WEEK! No power and no hot water, so I was going to the gym to shower and eating out every day which got disgusting after about three days. It's hit or miss but I find nyseg to be absolutely appalling to deal with. However I have family/friends in both Mahopac and Carmel and also in Brewster who have better luck than my neighborhood ever does.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,001 times
Thank you all for the responses!!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM

28 posts, read 43,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwarz View Post
It's also ridiculously expensive. When factoring in a $360 month train ticket, $112 metrocard, parking at train station (forgot how much this was) and gas to drive to and from the station, I wouldn't even recommend it for people not making a good salary (sorry, just being blunt). And the MTA constantly drives up those train and subway passes, so within a year you'll be paying more.
I was doing the exact same thing! Thats one of the reasons I got the heck out of westchester. Train ticket + parking + metrocard + gas smh. At least now I just have to deal with the metrocard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County