Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,326 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC for law school and have to find a place close to Columbia within a reasonable distance to the trains into the city. I have a family with a 6th grader and an infant and also need an excellent school district or names of private schools that are either affordable or offer financial aid.

I am looking for a 3-4 house with a yard, preferably new construction for rent for around $3500-$5000, is this possible?

Also I would like info on homes to purchase around 750k-1M. Thanks

Last edited by JD2Be; 11-08-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
Columbia is going to be difficult to get to from just about anywhere in Westchester. The MetroNorth trains run along the east side of Manhattan and Columbia is on the west side. You could certainly do it by taking Metro North down to Grand Central and then switching over on the shuttle and taking the 1 up to Columbia, however this commute is not going to be fun.

Alternatively there's Riverdale whcih is right up north of Columbia. Perhaps you should look into this. You would take the bus to the 1 subway and then take that down to Columbia. The 1 can be pretty ghetto though, but you'll have to take it no matter what direction you're coming from. However the public schools in riverdale are only good up until the 5th grade, so I don't know what good that does you with a 6th grade student. There is a cluster of very upscale private schools in Riverdale, but they all cost $30k a year, and you won't be getting any financial aid if you can afford your budget for renting/purchasing a home. Alternatively there are some pretty good parochial schools in Riverdale, which I would assume only cost around $3,000-$5,000 a year.

Have you considered renting in Manhattan and sending your kids to private school at all. If you can afford $3,500-$5,000 in rent you could certainly find a 2 br on the Upper West Side and have a fairly short commute up to Columbia. You would definitely have to give up any ideas of having a lawn, but it might make the commute a lot easier.

Also who is going to watch your kids while you are in law school? The 1st year at law school is one of the most stress inducing things imaginable in life. You're not going to have any free time, as all of that will be spent prepping for class, and most likely you'll be pretty high strung for the better part of your first year. Enjoy it though. With a JD from Columbia you should be pretty much set for life. You'll be able to get a biglaw job with a really good salary, however the hours are pretty horific.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 66,699 times
Look in New Rochelle. Great public schools from AP classes to fabulous Special Education to a first class early childhood center and a 20 minute ride to Columbia. I do it on a weekly basis.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
It might be a 20 minute DRIVE to Columbia from New Rochelle, but when you get there, there's no place to park.

Riverdale sounds like your best bet. I think it'd be hard to find a 2BR apartment in Manhattan with decent schools (and with a sixth grader that's MIDDLE school, which are really not good in NYC) for anywhere near $3000. MAYBE $5000/month, but with two kids it'll be a very tight squeeze.

I'd look into Riverdale. Or Fort Lee, NJ, from which you can take a bus to the West Side of Manhattan.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 66,699 times
My Mom lives in Riverdale and the public commute is easy to the upper west side and it is filled with good private schools which will add to the cost of living.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,204 times
I would say Ardsley. Great schools, within your price range aqnd on the West side which makes for an easier commute. Speaking from personal experience, the commute isn't horrible if you're in the 160's or 120's (not sure which campus) but terrible if you have to go into midtown. In the morning its really not bad (they are doing construction on the Henry Hudson bridge right now so its been worse than usual) but it would be a 20-25 minute drive with traffic, probable less without. Parking is another matter. I'm sure there is a garage near the campus that is reasonable. Where I park, the Fordham law students pay $14/day.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
The law school is at the 110th Street campus. Parking will still be an issue due to availability and expense. But you might still want to consider New Jersey.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:40 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,654 times
Default commuting to Columbia

I used to teach at 125th street. I would commute from Pelham. There are gypsy cabs parked at 125th street, always, which makes it easy to get anywhere from 125th street. There also is a bus that crosses town at the 125th street station. It would take under 45 minutes to commute from Pelham to Columbia. I usually drove. There is parking there. The only people who had easier commutes were from the neighborhood. Some people who worked at Columbia drove to Riverdale, and then commuted from there. Schools are good in Pelham. There are nice houses in the 1 million dollar range. There are many people in Pelham associated with Columbia.

The other good option for commuting to Columbia is NJ.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:17 AM

506 posts, read 2,279,349 times
Default What are your Home needs and School needs....

If you can give us a little more info on what size home ( bedrooms, baths ,backyard,walking distance...etc..) , and what type of Schools .If you go to Riverdale, you might have an issue with your School choices. So if you can give us a little more info. we will be able to help you a little better. I also sent you a (private Message)........So the more info the better we can suggest some perfect Community's............Good Luck....Welcome to New York..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County