Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM

90 posts, read 145,695 times

Advertisements

hello, we're a family of working professionals with one child, just moved to Westchester, and are hoping to buy a home within next few months.
Coops along Garth Rd seem a good fit for what we need, being so close to a train station (one of us commutes to Manhattan daily) and within strong Eastchester school district. They are affordable, too.

My concern is that there are so many of them on a market now, all located withing 2-3 blocks on Garth, and quite a few have been on a market for a while, cutting the prices but still not selling. Is there anything wrong with the area, and should I expect problems selling a coop when the time come for us to move to a bigger place?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 10,740 times
Many of the co-ops there are older, some pre-war. The area is quite good, convienient to NYC by train or car. I myself am looking to downsize from my house in Yonkers to an apartment on Garth road. It was an area where people moved and bought aprtments when they married and then bought houses later on and moved out. There is usually a generous supply of apartments available and prices have come down somewhat to bring them in line with prices in the area. There are a large number of older people who are now retiring and moving on. Parking is sometimes an issue but the town has created lots and increased availability. The parks adjacent to the area are great. The main issue is the lack of a major supermarket in walking distance but there are smaller grocery stores that fill in quite nicely. You should be aware that while the area is called Scarsdale, about 3/4 of the area is in the town of Eastchester. This reflects on the amount of taxes and the schools your children will attend. The availability of numerous apartments gives you the upper hand in negotiations. You have the choice of location, size, exposure etc. which is to your benefit. All in all, a quality place to live and raise a family. But you will have to maintain a car and travel to Central Avenue or White Plains Road to do major shopping and services. Please check the finances of the buildings but I believe they are in good shape. Some may have had some downturns due to the economy but they should all be stable.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM

108 posts, read 209,851 times
I always considered Pre-War buildings a major plus. You ever seen some of the shoddy construction on modern "luxury apartments?" You can hear your neighbors like the walls arent there, and they seem to have corners cut in other areas. Pre-War building were built in a time of real craftsmanship and when developers made quality buildings.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
Only a few are pet-friendly. I saw six of them and they're all charming and in very good condition. No work needs to be done -- just move in. Immaculate! My reason for not buying was the ones I saw did not have afternoon sun (west, southwest exposure). I might have been able to see more, but they didn't allow cats, and IF MY CAT CAN'T GO, THEN I DON'T GO.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,866 times
I totally agree Michele, I have been looking for a coop for months, I have a dog and so many coops aren't pet friendly

if my dog can't go, then neither will I

Old 06-11-2015, 07:54 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,579 times
High maintenance and a lot of restrictions. I remember looking at some coops at Pondfiled Rd W in Bronxville/Yonkers. We liked the place but they wanted 5000 USD deposit for a dog just in case.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfamily77 View Post
hello, we're a family of working professionals with one child, just moved to Westchester, and are hoping to buy a home within next few months.

Thank you so much.
The answer to your question lies in your proposition.

You are not buying a home when you enter into a coop relationship. You are entering into a long term leasing arrangement with a corporation and management Board. This significant difference makes coops unattractive compared to other real estate rearrangements and thus the higher level of inventory and lower price/sq ft. accorded to coops.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:56 AM

653 posts, read 783,418 times
I have friends who live on Garth Rd. and they are now complaining that crime is on the rise in this area. I know that the banks right off the train station have been hit a few times. And the laundry place on Garth Rd. was robbed recently as well. This is a really wonderful place. Very scenic, clean, great schools, etc. But according to my friends, they aren't thrilled living there anymore.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I have friends who live on Garth Rd. and they are now complaining that crime is on the rise in this area. I know that the banks right off the train station have been hit a few times. And the laundry place on Garth Rd. was robbed recently as well. This is a really wonderful place. Very scenic, clean, great schools, etc. But according to my friends, they aren't thrilled living there anymore.
It's the spillover from the Bronx. Puerticans, Dominicans and Blacks from hood areas will steal anything nowadays. I saw it with my own eyes and have it on surveillance camera my own footage.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 PM

274 posts, read 298,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
It's the spillover from the Bronx. Puerticans, Dominicans and Blacks from hood areas will steal anything nowadays. I saw it with my own eyes and have it on surveillance camera my own footage.
Read up on HUD and how its being demanded that low income housing be built all over westchester. Its just a matter of time before the county starts going downhill. he Bronxites will be flooding in over the next 10 years. Look what it did to South Yonkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County