U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM

17 posts, read 38,347 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to this board and have greatly appreciated all of the information I've found, but was hoping someone would be able to offer some more advice on areas to live.

My husband and I are a young couple in our mid/late 20s, and have one baby. We are looking to buy a home in Westchester, but are so overwhelmed. Does anyone please have any suggestions on areas to look? We are looking for a much newer home, in the 700-850K range, with the most important things to us being reasonable taxes, easy/short commute to the city, a good school district, and not too too far from the Tapan Zee.

We are considering Mamaroneck (leaning towards the Rye Neck side). Any other suggestions?? Sadly, I know our budget isn't that big for the area given our criteria but would really appreciate any insight to which areas/school district best fits our bill. Thank in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,575,289 times
Rye Neck is an excellent place to live and send your kids to school, a good direct commute to Grand Central and your budget is ok because there is a wide range of properties there (you won't be getting a waterfront estate with a dock at that price but thats ok!). However, it is on the wrong side of Westchester for the Tappan Zee. Why not look at the river towns?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM

116 posts, read 350,718 times
You'll have a little bit of a hard time with the short commute and reasonable taxes but I don't think your price range is a problem. Croton would get you closer to the Tappan Zee and a good school district. Also Dobbs Ferry. Irvington might be too pricey unless you don't mind a condo. Don't rule anything out, there are hidden gems everywhere.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks so much for your replies. I think I may have put too much importance on being close to the Tapan Zee - as long as it's not an hour away or anything, we will be fine. We like being able to get to NJ easily, but don't mind adding a bit of time to the drive.

bg7 - It's good to hear that Rye Neck is a good option, thank you. Any specific suggestions for the river towns? As AliciaN mentioned, maybe Dobbs Ferry or Irvington, or others? Do you know how the school districts would compare to Rye Neck?

AliciaN - I will definitely take a closer look at Croton, Dobbs Ferry, and Irvington - thank you for the suggestions. Do you know how the school districts compare to Rye Neck? Any other suggestions knowing now that I mistakenly put too much importance on being close to the Tapan Zee? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM

78 posts, read 172,420 times
Take a look at Rye Brook too, much newer homes available, although as with most of Westchester "reasonable taxes" may be a stretch. School system (Blind Brook) has an excellent reputation.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 PM

LoWest - Thank you for your suggestion. Will definitely take a look at Rye Brook. Thanks again!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM

425 posts, read 1,115,702 times
Blind Brook does have good schools - if you are looking for a development with young kids in Ryebrook, take a look at BellFair, located on King Street on the Greenwich border. Your range may not be able to afford a house in that development (maybe?) but you can certainly purchase a townhouse. They have tennis, pool, gym, market...its a cute place and they have a shuttle to the portchester train station.

There is also a Bright Horizons Daycare located in the community. We did not live there, but my son went to the daycare for 5 years. Wonderful people!!

You just have to get acclimated to low flying jets as its located on flight path into Westchester County Airport...

Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM

john70 - Thank you so much for your advice. I think I came across BellFair in one of my numerous searches. I will definitely take another look now that I know more about it and now that it comes recommended! And all of those community perks sound cool too. Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM

248 posts, read 628,874 times
I think Dobbs Ferry and Irvington are your best bets as far as reasonable taxes and close to Tappan Zee are concerned. Schools are definitely good (not Rye Neck/Chappaqua/Scarsdale good but still considered top in the country).

With that budget you can easily find places in all towns but taxes in some of them are just killer.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,167,004 times
The Rivertown's taxes are by far the most oppressive in Westchester. Your house may cost less there than in some others places but they have no commercial base to offset taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County