U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 28,600 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a family of four. We are looking to move from NYC to Westchester and are trying to decide between Irvington and Scarsdale. I know that Scarsdale has the best schools and Irvington does too. However, the house that we are looking at Irvington belongs to Dobbs Ferry school district which I've heard has mediocre schools. However, the house is Irvington is in much better shape than the one in Scarsdale and is cheaper too. Putting aside the money, which town would you prefer in between these two towns/villages and why? Thank you very much in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 PM

2,418 posts, read 5,818,341 times
Oh, for goodness sakes. Dobbs Ferry does not have "mediocre" schools. What it has is more economic diversity than Irvington and especially Scarsdale.

Judging school districts by their SAT scores is about as superficial as you can get. And the top 25% at Dobbs Ferry gets into much better colleges than the bottom 25% at Scarsdale.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM

Dear Rubygreta, how else would you evaluate schools is not by their test scores and percentage of students that passed those tests?

Also, I researched that Dobbs Ferry spends more money per student than Scarsdale does (slightly more; hence very high property taxes in both). So economic diversity is not the reason why students in Scarsdale are doing better.

Thank you for your reply though.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 AM

108 posts, read 196,661 times
Dobbs Ferry has great schools. So does 90% of Westchester villages.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 AM

108 posts, read 196,661 times
I'd move to Dobbs Ferry. Nice town, down to earth and non-snooty folks there. Its on the river and closer to NYC than your other choices

Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,095,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-yorker View Post
Also, I researched that Dobbs Ferry spends more money per student than Scarsdale does (slightly more; hence very high property taxes in both). So economic diversity is not the reason why students in Scarsdale are doing better.
I think it might be the IB program that's pulling up DF's expenses per student, and that the district has fewer students so less people to spread the overhead expenses.

But I agree with rubygreta that in the bigger picture, DF is an outstanding school district that provides high quality education. It happens that many tend to compare it with the other excellent schools in Westchester.

If you can easily afford either DF or Scarsdale or even Bronxvile/Rye then choose Scarsdale, Bronxville or Rye over DF. But f your budget is more modest then DF offers a more affordable option.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 AM

846 posts, read 2,292,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-yorker View Post
Dear Rubygreta, how else would you evaluate schools is not by their test scores and percentage of students that passed those tests?

Thank you for your reply though.
You are not making sense. Dobbs spends more per student because there is more diversity there, therefore they need more programs such as ESL, more free lunches are provided, etc. Scarsdale is uniformly wealthy with highly educated parents, and diversity is basically limited to white or Asian. They still manage to spend a lot per student because the parents there expect and demand a lot, such a small class sizes and well-kept facilities.

What rubygreta was getting at with regard to test scores is that they are really only a reflection of the socio-economic make-up of the families and students in a school district, not the quality of education that YOUR child might receive there.

Scarsdale is a hard town. Having lived there, I'd choose Dobbs Ferry.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM

Ok, thanks everyone, I appreciate your replies.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM

150 posts, read 612,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
[...]
Scarsdale is a hard town. Having lived there, I'd choose Dobbs Ferry.
Can you elaborate a bit on the "hard" part?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM

I actually have the same question

Would appreciate the reply by streetsmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County