U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I have a new job I love at Montefiore in the Bronx and currently commute almost 5 hrs roundtrip from my condo in Milford, CT. Thinking of eventually relocating to Tarrytown--love it there. I really appreciate a small-town, suburban feeling. Thinking of $1500 max for a studio. Thoughts? Tarrytown Real Estate is poorly rated and so is Sleepy Hollow Gardens. Anyone have any realtors or other suggestions in addition to Craig's List? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM

35 posts, read 109,515 times
I don't live in Tarrytown but I really like it the times I've been.

Not sure why the real estate is poorly rated. I saw a couple luxury townhomes just being built on the water - they seemed very nice.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM

100 posts, read 208,438 times
Would love to buy a home in Sleepy Hollow or Tarrytown after med school (residency program in Sleepy Hollow that I like), but my wife and I worry about property taxes. I know Westchester county has highest property taxes in the entire nation. Anyone know if that will ever change? Hard to justify paying $8000-$10000 or more per year when we could pay a tiny fraction of that elsewhere.

Love the area though.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 AM

35 posts, read 109,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtostarboard View Post
Would love to buy a home in Sleepy Hollow or Tarrytown after med school (residency program in Sleepy Hollow that I like), but my wife and I worry about property taxes. I know Westchester county has highest property taxes in the entire nation. Anyone know if that will ever change? Hard to justify paying $8000-$10000 or more per year when we could pay a tiny fraction of that elsewhere.

Love the area though.
This is what I'm dealing with currently. Hoping to buy in April or May of 2014 and it's difficult enough already with the high home prices - let alone an extra $500-$1000 per month on top of the mortgage.

Recently I've been looking at CT because taxes are much lower but I think I'd prefer to be in Westchester.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM

100 posts, read 208,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelectro View Post
This is what I'm dealing with currently. Hoping to buy in April or May of 2014 and it's difficult enough already with the high home prices - let alone an extra $500-$1000 per month on top of the mortgage.

Recently I've been looking at CT because taxes are much lower but I think I'd prefer to be in Westchester.
I can't imagine that the people of New York will let this go on forever. Lots of us would love to live there but this is prohibitive.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM

59 posts, read 49,362 times
Can anyone help me? I'm a teen from Bronx, N.Y.C. Me and my mom live with my grandmother in a pretty busted up place and are planning to move since I can't get a job yet. I was wondering if anyone knew any good areas in Yonkers or other areas close to the city in the range of $500-$1,000?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM

425 posts, read 1,139,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDL81 View Post
Hi All,
I have a new job I love at Montefiore in the Bronx and currently commute almost 5 hrs roundtrip from my condo in Milford, CT. Thinking of eventually relocating to Tarrytown--love it there. I really appreciate a small-town, suburban feeling. Thinking of $1500 max for a studio. Thoughts? Tarrytown Real Estate is poorly rated and so is Sleepy Hollow Gardens. Anyone have any realtors or other suggestions in addition to Craig's List? Thanks!
Tarrytown to Montefiore is a bit of a hike and route 9 is always congested. Take a look at the Bronxville/Tuckahoe/Crestwood area. Its a lovely area (much more appealing than Tarrytown) with a much shorter commute and there are many renters.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM

414 posts, read 258,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Tarrytown to Montefiore is a bit of a hike and route 9 is always congested. Take a look at the Bronxville/Tuckahoe/Crestwood area. Its a lovely area (much more appealing than Tarrytown) with a much shorter commute and there are many renters.
While I think the River Towns have their own charms, I agree Bronxville/Tuckahoe/Crestwood and Scarsdale Village area (Garth Road) are nice with a much easier commute.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM

87 posts, read 210,922 times
I know folks who do the Montefiore commute. Rt 9 is trouble, but if you have good access to 87/Sprain then the trip as a whole is not bad. These roads usually get backed up only when there is accident/construction/weather and you'll get off for Montefiore just when things start to get bad in the Bronx.

As others have said, if you can find a good rental in Bronxville area, that will be ideal for commuting. If you really love Tarrytown it is doable via 87/Sprain. Just check out the exact location and how long it will take you to get over to the highway.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 AM

192 posts, read 346,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtostarboard View Post

Love the area though.
Welcome to Westchester! Unfortunately the tax issue in Westchester will probably never change in our favor. It's a fact of life here. Taxes go up every year.

When my parents 1st purchased their house in the early 80's. They were paying $1,500 in taxes every year. Fast forward to 2013. They are paying just over $11k in taxes now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County