Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM

20 posts, read 94,053 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's true that New Rochelle Northside is excellent to live. Downtown area is slowwwwlyyyy getting better. The security at night is questionable. Definitely not a violent place, but questionable people around. Though it's getting better with the new buildings, the infrastructure is still slow. New Rochelle needs better quality shopping area. We are still waiting for a Mall with nice stores. North Avenue is despicable. The area in front of Iona College is nice, but pass Iona area, all the way to Downtown is really bad. Right in front of the City Hall, there is a non-existent decent shopping area. Only bad businesses: awlful liquor stores, close down florist shop, horrible looking store kind worship houses, 99c stores, mexican, chinese and caribbean food cantinas(not really quality restaurants), awful launderetes, bad pizza stores, Kentucky Fried Chicken and MacDonald's need renovation and better service, bad hairdressers and nail salons, cell phone stores that open and close in a short period of time, cheap bars and needless to say awful nightclubs that only bring the wrong crowd. Downtown has a shopping area only directed to spanish people. You can call it Spanish town. Lots of small restaurants sprouting, some good, most not so good, but too many! We need variety. Bring in other kind of cuisines like Greek, French, (not more Italian, Mexican and Kosher!). We need nice big Steakhouses too. We don't want cheap franchises and cheap new stores. Nobody thought about Bearded Papas (they are wonderful) and would make a difference to New Rochelle. Other franchises we need are Ann Taylor, Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, Borders, PetCo, Pet Goods, really good quality Delicatessens selling European goods, exquisit and sophisticated restaurants. While New Rochelle shopping area doesn't change, people will move here, stay for a while and move somewhere else. There's no commercial structure to support the new real state developments. Downtown and North Avenue are still not nice areas to stroll around, shopping, socializing. It's just a cheaper comute to the city, but not a joyful place to live yet. Hope the new Mayor does something about it. Just a footnote: Enough houses of worship in New Rochelle! There are over 40! Including the sinagogues in the North End! Also they should put up the price at the beach and parking around the area! This way we would have a better selection of people, like it happens in Rye! And we also want nice dog parks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM

257 posts, read 1,056,004 times
I totally agree that there is a lack of decent shopping available in New Rochelle. When I was younger there was a mall that had Macy's, etc. Not sure what happened to it. It just doesn't make sense; there is so much potential.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:38 AM

3 posts, read 15,574 times
Default a real residents view

In this section of the county (southern westchester) shopping has always been somewhat of a problem. People always ran up to White Plains for anything more than 'errand' shopping. Luckily the downtown is changing so there is bound to be a new center for shopping to meet the needs of those in the area. I personally dont shop, and my wife does so primarily in Manhattan. I find it easy to get all of my basics in Vernon Hills, Wykagyl and the Golden Horseshoe. Restaurants are all around and easily accessible by car. Residents of scarsdale, mamaroneck and larchmont all face similar issue when it comes to accessibility of stores. It doesnt seem to be the primary concern of those choosing to live in the area . . . most seem to choose it for the homes/properties that exist throughout. New Rochelle is geographically larger than most neighboring towns combined, and offers many beautiful areas to choose from. The poorer downtown area is indeed less desirable, but has no significant negative effect on the rest of the City. The communities of Larchmont and Pelham are closer (geographically) to the downtown area than many parts of New Rochelle. The minimal crime experienced in the downtown does not negatively effect these neighboring areas or the rest of New Rochelle.
On a more snobbish note, . . . I love my home, a turn of the century tudor home with a pool, and think the neighborhood i like in is goergeous. My wife and I drive european 'luxury cars' and we are members of a local country club. My New Rochelle neighbors display a similar level of success.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,332,729 times
You definitely hit the nail on the head. There is a pretty bad lack of stores/malls in this area. I guess this is because of the high cost of land around here, that developers don't think its worthwhile to throw up malls. The closest big mall in my area is Cross County and that place is pretty run down and is always packed to the gills with people

It is somewhat ironic though with such a large concentration of wealth in some of these towns (Scarsdale/Bronxville) that shopping is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeynyc25 View Post
In this section of the county (southern westchester) shopping has always been somewhat of a problem. People always ran up to White Plains for anything more than 'errand' shopping. Luckily the downtown is changing so there is bound to be a new center for shopping to meet the needs of those in the area. I personally dont shop, and my wife does so primarily in Manhattan. I find it easy to get all of my basics in Vernon Hills, Wykagyl and the Golden Horseshoe. Restaurants are all around and easily accessible by car. Residents of scarsdale, mamaroneck and larchmont all face similar issue when it comes to accessibility of stores. It doesnt seem to be the primary concern of those choosing to live in the area . . . most seem to choose it for the homes/properties that exist throughout. New Rochelle is geographically larger than most neighboring towns combined, and offers many beautiful areas to choose from. The poorer downtown area is indeed less desirable, but has no significant negative effect on the rest of the City. The communities of Larchmont and Pelham are closer (geographically) to the downtown area than many parts of New Rochelle. The minimal crime experienced in the downtown does not negatively effect these neighboring areas or the rest of New Rochelle.
On a more snobbish note, . . . I love my home, a turn of the century tudor home with a pool, and think the neighborhood i like in is goergeous. My wife and I drive european 'luxury cars' and we are members of a local country club. My New Rochelle neighbors display a similar level of success.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 13,444 times
Default there are not enough quality place for you to shop, in this city, or places for your pets to take a dump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroc View Post
Yes, it's true that New Rochelle Northside is excellent to live. Downtown area is slowwwwlyyyy getting better. The security at night is questionable. Definitely not a violent place, but questionable people around. Though it's getting better with the new buildings, the infrastructure is still slow. New Rochelle needs better quality shopping area. We are still waiting for a Mall with nice stores. North Avenue is despicable. The area in front of Iona College is nice, but pass Iona area, all the way to Downtown is really bad. Right in front of the City Hall, there is a non-existent decent shopping area. Only bad businesses: awlful liquor stores, close down florist shop, horrible looking store kind worship houses, 99c stores, mexican, chinese and caribbean food cantinas(not really quality restaurants), awful launderetes, bad pizza stores, Kentucky Fried Chicken and MacDonald's need renovation and better service, bad hairdressers and nail salons, cell phone stores that open and close in a short period of time, cheap bars and needless to say awful nightclubs that only bring the wrong crowd. Downtown has a shopping area only directed to spanish people. You can call it Spanish town. Lots of small restaurants sprouting, some good, most not so good, but too many! We need variety. Bring in other kind of cuisines like Greek, French, (not more Italian, Mexican and Kosher!). We need nice big Steakhouses too. We don't want cheap franchises and cheap new stores. Nobody thought about Bearded Papas (they are wonderful) and would make a difference to New Rochelle. Other franchises we need are Ann Taylor, Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, Borders, PetCo, Pet Goods, really good quality Delicatessens selling European goods, exquisit and sophisticated restaurants. While New Rochelle shopping area doesn't change, people will move here, stay for a while and move somewhere else. There's no commercial structure to support the new real state developments. Downtown and North Avenue are still not nice areas to stroll around, shopping, socializing. It's just a cheaper comute to the city, but not a joyful place to live yet. Hope the new Mayor does something about it. Just a footnote: Enough houses of worship in New Rochelle! There are over 40! Including the sinagogues in the North End! Also they should put up the price at the beach and parking around the area! This way we would have a better selection of people, like it happens in Rye! And we also want nice dog parks!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 13,444 times
Default Playland, Rye, N.Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_dandy48 View Post
How much can you charge people, and get away with it.... to sun bath and swim in that open sewer of a beach?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 16,672 times
Did you know that John Cadararo, the Building Inspector at New Rochelle City Hall is a convict? Just Google his name and find out. Shame on you Mr. Noam Bramson. How come you didn't fire him? He's been arrested and besides had 3 other processes on his back. Check Westchester's legar records online! It's all there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County